Favorite Cherry MX Switch

I like Cherry mx reds but i wish they clicked like blues.

HTID

I have not yet had the privilege to use a mechanical keyboard (or at least afaik) and I'd say that judging based off some of the demo videos of the MX Blue. That the blue will probably be my favorite. Though in some cases I've quite liked membrane keyboards. (I know, but that's because they can chiclet/island style and imho it seems sort of more accurate and easier to type on.) 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Reds for typing, blues for gaming. I would choose browns if I could only use one.

Normally I hear the exact opposite! Interesting!  

I have browns. but nothing compares to the old days IBM mechanical switches

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Clears for typing, reds for gaming -- clears suck for FPS type games where you need to hold keys down for extended periods :unsure:

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Normally I hear the exact opposite! Interesting!  

Yep, that's why I never say "blues are for typing, reds are for gaming, etc.", because it really boils down to personal preference, and the switches weren't really made for anything but typing(it just so happens that some prefer certain switches for gaming).

I like reds but i have only used reds so i dont have much of an opinton on the different switches, i do like the reds for OSU though cause it requires alot of double clicking 

Whenever I use brown I type fast enough so they just feel like reds so I don't really understand why they are so popular. At Least with blues and greens you have a *click* 

Whenever I use brown I type fast enough so they just feel like reds so I don't really understand why they are so popular. At Least with blues and greens you have a *click* 

Now you're beginning to understand why some, like moi, find Browns to be 'mushy', that's why I've NOT bought an MX Brown keyboard for quite a while now. After using Clears, Greens, Whites, and even the linear Black, Browns feels so yucky now.....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Now you're beginning to understand why some, like moi, find Browns to be 'mushy', that's why I've NOT bought an MX Brown keyboard for quite a while now. After using Clears, Greens, Whites, and even the linear Black, Browns feels so yucky now.....

I never liked browns to begin with. They've always felt mushy to me...I've always liked blues/white for that firm click, and if I want to go for a silent option I go for reds for the straight-forward presses.

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

Clears for typing, reds for gaming -- clears suck for FPS type games where you need to hold keys down for extended periods :unsure:

How is clear worse to hold down compared to any other switch? if

you can't hold it down, maybe you shouldn't have it in the first place :P

Not sure exactly where the bump is on clear, but you could try to press 

it down, then on the way up you stop and let it rest as it hits the bump

instead of pressing it all the way down.

I never liked browns to begin with. They've always felt mushy to me...I've always liked blues/white for that firm click, and if I want to go for a silent option I go for reds for the straight-forward presses.

I don't notice much of a difference between brown or red tbh, brown feels

like a crappy red with plastic unintentionally stuck/scraping inside of it. I

think they feel like garbage because of the barely noticeable feedback,

but i wouldn't describe it as mushy. 

How is clear worse to hold down compared to any other switch? if

you can't hold it down, maybe you shouldn't have it in the first place :P

Clears are much heavier.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Clears are much heavier.

That is relative. Doesn't mean they are objectively bad for being held down.

I would assume it's fine if the person using them can easily type on them for

extended periods of time in the first place. comparable switches like black or

green aren't necessarily bad for being held down compared to other switches.

Yeah, though I prefer Red for gaming, Black just feels better.....like tighter control when gaming (I don't know how to define it). I don't understand why Black and Red are so hated. I use three mech KB's, one's Red, one's Brown and one's Blue.....for typing, it's Blue. But for gaming, I prefer Red, Black and Brown.....Blue just doesn't feel right to me.

Agreed, I think reds/clears/browns are the best switches if you do any type of gaming.

Clears are much heavier.

Clears arent that heavy to be honest.....compared to greens and grays. Ha! 

Membrame

Cherry mx blue

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

I have a friend who has a filco with one of the best brown switches ever. The tactile feel was actually very solid, and according to my friend he said it was of those batches in the past with the more solid brown tactile feel. But the brown switch keyboards I feel nowadays are just bleh. I have not felt any other brown switch tactility as solid as that filco ever since. If I want to get a good tactile feel I will have to use MX clear switches instead of browns.

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

MX Black :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

I have a friend who has a filco with one of the best brown switches ever. The tactile feel was actually very solid, and according to my friend he said it was of those batches in the past with the more solid brown tactile feel. But the brown switch keyboards I feel nowadays are just bleh. I have not felt any other brown switch tactility as solid as that filco ever since. If I want to get a good tactile feel I will have to use MX clear switches instead of browns.

I remember hearing someone talk about some older brown switches that gave

alot more feedback. It sounds alot better than the current brown, but still too

light.

Clears arent that heavy to be honest.....compared to greens and grays. Ha! 

lol, i'd love to try and type on a keyboard with full grey, that would be awesome.

Probably at the point where you might actually start to feel some fatigue. 

I remember hearing someone talk about some older brown switches that gave

alot more feedback. It sounds alot better than the current brown, but still too

light.

lol, i'd love to try and type on a keyboard with full grey, that would be awesome.

Probably at the point where you might actually start to feel some fatigue. 

Tactile greys wouldnt be horrible because they have a high actuation point but for linear greys........hahahahaha goodluck! 

I've had Blacks for the longest time now, and I've just ordered Browns.

I honestly don't really like linear switches that much because of the feel.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

• 1 month later...

Using Browns on my G710+, but my favorite switches are Blues

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!