If you could only buy or recommend one PSU brand forever, which one would it be?

chocolatekarma

same honestly

other than gigabyte that is  /s

have had so much luck with BeQuiet but it would probably be seasonic for choice of sfx and atx platinums

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

1 minute ago, gamagama69 said:

probably evga cuz seasonic cost too much

When it comes to higher tier units, I would say EVGA are often more expensive.  But for budget units I agree.

Asus ROG Strix series (Gold) for 3 reasons:

1. Odb Fan

2. Stock modular cables with capacitors

3. TDP readouts

I mean, you really can't. Every PSU manufacturer has made some duds, and their warranty service can change. Remember, Newegg used to be known for the best customer service in the industry less than 10 years ago, and look where they are now. Seasonic and EVGA probably have the best warranty services and the longest standing reputation with their warranties (which realistically for this situation is what you want to look for, basically all of the major manufacturers have at least one very good PSU in their lineup, even Gigabyte, so their warranties are what actually differentiate them), but again, they can change on a dime if some of the upper management changes. 

In the current market conditions, EVGA or Seasonic (it's a flip of the coin for either one) because of their currently exceptional warranties, but again, If there's one thing in the universe that's consistent it's that nothing is consistent. 

Be Quiet. Their PSUs are great, and I've probably heard others fail more than Be Quiet (could be due to popularity but here in Europe they are pretty common), their service is great and somehow these PSUs seem to get less coil whine than others in my experience.

Still you shouldn't buy a PSU based on brand, unless it's some weird unknown brand in which case you shouldn't buy it. And I would also avoid Gigabyte, because they don't really care about their customers (their warranty is trash and they think it's normal for PSUs to blow up).

22 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

Still you shouldn't buy a PSU based on brand

The single most important piece of advice that's going to come out of this thread.

A thread about brand loyalty in some form? Gosh it has been a decade and things are still much the same here /s

It's totally pointless to ever consider brands over specific models, now you could just ask what's your favourite which becomes a personal matter, in which I'd say Corsair and BeQuiet has the products I'm most familiar with.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

52 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I mean, you really can't. Every PSU manufacturer has made some duds, and their warranty service can change. Remember, Newegg used to be known for the best customer service in the industry less than 10 years ago, and look where they are now. Seasonic and EVGA probably have the best warranty services and the longest standing reputation with their warranties (which realistically for this situation is what you want to look for, basically all of the major manufacturers have at least one very good PSU in their lineup, even Gigabyte, so their warranties are what actually differentiate them), but again, they can change on a dime if some of the upper management changes. 

In the current market conditions, EVGA or Seasonic (it's a flip of the coin for either one) because of their currently exceptional warranties, but again, If there's one thing in the universe that's consistent it's that nothing is consistent. 

And the point of this thread is to find out which brand people think have the fewest duds.

23 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

A thread about brand loyalty in some form? Gosh it has been a decade and things are still much the same here /s

It's totally pointless to ever consider brands over specific models, now you could just ask what's your favourite which becomes a personal matter, in which I'd say Corsair and BeQuiet has the products I'm most familiar with.

Brand loyalty = fanboyism.  I'm not a fanboy of any company.

I've used a lot of brands over the years, I never set on one though.

I've had good luck with EVGA and Corsair warranty though, especially when that CXM green label blew up on me in 2014. Seasonic is great, long warranty and they'll cover almost anything. Antec used to be great but I've not used one in many years. Enermax used to make a mean PSU, I have a 350W that is from... 2003 I think and it's still putting down solid numbers when I throw it on the tester.

I've used BeQuiet units too, I like their cables. 

For me it's what's the best available in my current budget. Right now I'm using an EVGA unit. Last system was a Seasonic. I've even used Thermaltake in a pinch for cheap, low usage systems like my LAN machines.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

5 minutes ago, chocolatekarma said:

And the point of this thread is to find out which brand people think have the fewest duds.

You still should be trying to look at the specific units. Quite honestly you could think that Seasonic has the fewest duds so you go out and buy a cheaper Seasonic unit. You'll end up with the S12III, a terrible PSU by modern standards due to having basically no safety protections, when for the same price you might'v gotten an Antec NeoECO Gold or maybe a Cooler Master MWE. 

Quite frankly, the only thing the brand really has anything to do with for PSU quality is how good their warranty service is. 

1 hour ago, chocolatekarma said:

For me, Seasonic.

You?

Chevrolet.

43 minutes ago, chocolatekarma said:

Just about nobody on this entire forum has the insight to answer that intelligently.  

I think the lesson here, for me at least, is that PSU's are possibly the most complex part of a PC.  At least when it comes to what one's to buy.  Things are much more cut and dry with all other PC parts.

I`m convinced the purpose of this thread was to give @seon123an aneurysm.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

Seasonic? nobody should have those at their favourite!

EVGA? mayby but pretty meh.

Corsair? In general good.

Asus? NO, (the tuf is somewhat decent on some countires, sicne the price variables alot in EU)

Antec? same as EVGA

Be Quiet? cheap psus if shopped from Germany, pretty good in general

Gigabyte? Even worse than Seasonic

silentiumPC? Nice in EU

-- My personal opinions with some facts in them so my opinions would be somewhat true--

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

11 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

Seasonic? nobody should have those at their favourite!

you guyz are such bullies. 

Seasonic is fine. (as long as you buy at sale price)

You will get promised amperage of quality DC12V and nothing will catch fire for 10 years.

They no longer trip with Ampere either.

5 hours ago, MarkCaplan said:

They no longer trip with Ampere either.

thats the main problem. They stated that they have fixed it. But did not say how, also we do not know if they really are fixed.

last time they "fixed" something it was not properly fixed, hece why the Seasonic prime and focus is not really a good buy.

Also they are usually pretty expensive for what they offer

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)