Linus Tech Tips Product Links Survey

CPotter

Hey!

We're looking for feedback from anyone who's ever used the product links that are featured below our videos in our descriptions. We want to find a way to add value to anyone who interacts with these product links on a regular basis.

For full transparency, some of the links are affiliate links which means that if you click on them and make a purchase, there's potential for LMG to receive a kickback based on that purchase.

Any feedback or suggestions is greatly appreciated, here's the link to the survey: https://form.jotform.com/220245385282252

1 hour ago, CPotter said:

Hey! We're looking for feedback from anyone who's ever used the product links that are featured below our videos in our descriptions. We want to find a way to add value to anyone who interacts with these product links on a regular basis.

For full transparency, some of the links are affiliate links which means that if you click on them and make a purchase, there's potential for LMG to receive a kickback based on that purchase.

Any feedback or suggestions is greatly appreciated, here's the link to the survey: https://form.jotform.com/220245385282252

One of the questions that really resonated with me was "Would you be interested in seeing a real-world list of what our hosts use around the office or in their home setups?" The Verge has a "What's on your desk?" series of blog posts that LMG might be able to model a series of videos after.

https://www.theverge.com/22340755/whats-on-your-desk-setup-tech-verge 

While it's unhealthy to idolize purchases simply because someone popular is promoting them (COUGH COUGH Raycon earbuds anyone?), it's extremely useful to know which products are of good quality that also increase your productivity throughout the day.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I really like the idea of a "project kit" landing page that allows for links to multiple vendors. I'll shop around between Amazon, Adorama, B&H, and Micro Center for the best price when I'm shopping for new PC parts (which I admit isn't very often). It's also a more visually interesting option than a pile of text links under the video, which eyeballs just slide right off of.

Project pages also present an opportunity to cross-promote other LMG properties. Each product with an LTT review, a Short Circuit unbox, or (eventually) Labs analysis could have a link to that content underneath it. This would have to be handled carefully though, especially if the product in question has earned some criticism. The purely-for-entertainment videos shouldn't go on a product page, but videos like Anthony's recent review of the RTX 3050 are a perfect fit. if a video is a paid product showcase, that should also be made clear if it gets linked on a project page. Even lttstoredotcom can get in on it with a perennial sidebar ad for the screwdriver.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 2/11/2022 at 4:44 PM, CPotter said:

Hey!

We're looking for feedback from anyone who's ever used the product links that are featured below our videos in our descriptions. We want to find a way to add value to anyone who interacts with these product links on a regular basis.

I would just like to put in my 2 cents that I rarely watch youtube videos on my phone, I use the app on my TV, so I never see or interact with product links. I just go straight to the website. I'd love to give you guys affiliate credit for Vessi but I've used other codes instead. You did let me know about them, though!

On 2/11/2022 at 4:44 PM, CPotter said:

Hey!

I think the problem sometimes with the links is that there's sometimes just so many things beneath the video that it loses the association between what's being talked about. Consider putting a QR code in the video when the thing being mentioned is said so that it can be grabbed even if the text beneath is obstructed / fullscreen. Plus there will be cases where your video is being shown/sampled somewhere/by someone else and it would be useful to be able to find what is being referenced, even if that's a commissioned link.

On 2/12/2022 at 6:48 AM, Needfuldoer said:

Project pages also present an opportunity to cross-promote other LMG properties. Each product with an LTT review, a Short Circuit unbox, or (eventually) Labs analysis could have a link to that content underneath it. This would have to be handled carefully though, especially if the product in question has earned some criticism. The purely-for-entertainment videos shouldn't go on a product page, but videos like Anthony's recent review of the RTX 3050 are a perfect fit. if a video is a paid product showcase, that should also be made clear if it gets linked on a project page. Even lttstoredotcom can get in on it with a perennial sidebar ad for the screwdriver.

This is why I like the “Option B” from the survey for single product links. I think the Floatplane crew could put together something amazing for this.

Most of the time when I click a link it doesn't actually link to the product. Probably because I'm in Canada and it's not actually available on Amazon.ca, but still. They're not very useful to me, in the handful of times I've actually been interested in purchasing the item, and I've found I can get better deals just finding them elsewhere myself.

Off topic: @CPotter Do you remember if the head hole in the grey sweater you're wearing in your PFP was overly large? It looks large in all the pictures I've seen, which has stopped me from ordering one.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red