Black Screen after disabling my Intel integrated graphics card

jjasferreira

Hello.
My laptop's display has stopped working, turning on but not showing anything.
I connected my laptop via HDMI to an external monitor and it worked.
I temporarily disabled Intel's integrated graphics in Device Manager, hoping that was the problem, but it did worse. My screen is now completely black and not being able to connect to an external monitor via HDMI.
So how do I re-enable the Intel GPU, in order to connect it to an external monitor, to backup my data, before sending it to a store to fix the monitor?
Thanks in advance.
My laptop is an ASUS, it runs Windows 11 and has both the Intel integrated graphics card and a NVIDIA dedicated one.

Edited by jjasferreira
Made it more clear

22 minutes ago, jjasferreira said:

Hello.
My PC's monitor has stopped working, turning on but not showing anything.
I connected my PC via HDMI to an external monitor and it worked.
I temporarily disabled Intel's integrated graphics in Device Manager, hoping that was the problem, but it did worse. My screen is now completely black and not being able to connect to an external monitor via HDMI.
So how do I re-enable the Intel GPU, in order to connect it to an external monitor, to backup my data, before sending it to a store to fix the monitor?
Thanks in advance.
My PC is an ASUS, it runs Windows 11 and has both the Intel integrated graphics card and a NVIDIA dedicated one.

Do you only use the intel APU or do you use a seperate GPU

Quote me for the answer and please Mark As Solution if I solved your problem

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

1 minute ago, --SID-- said:

Remove the CMOS battery to reset motherboard BIOS.

Yeah if he only uses the intel APU he has to clear CMOS

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

Clearing CMOS (Resets the bios settings)

1.Power down and remove all excess cables

2.Caution this does void the warranty if it doesn't work, refer to the user manual

3.Find the CMOS battery (usally a round button cell)

4.Remove the battery

5.Press and hold the power button for around 15 seconds 

6.Insert the battery ( correctly )

7.Put everything back and power on

Done!

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

This might be a stupid question, but did you connect the monitor into the discrete GPU?

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

2 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

This might be a stupid question, but did you connect the monitor into the discrete GPU?

Thats true though, it needs to be plugged into the GPU no the mobo lol

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

2 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

You mean the NVIDIA one? How can I connect it to the monitor? I think it needs the integrated one to work properly. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Pixelfie said:

Is it a laptop or desktop? Some laptops run the displays with Intel Graphics.

It is a laptop, I think it runs the displays with Intel Graphics and HDMI needs Intel Graphics to work. Thanks.

3 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Remove the CMOS battery to reset motherboard BIOS.

But how can I access the BIOS afterwards if the monitor isn't working? Thanks.

3 hours ago, Cr33ps said:

Do you only use the intel APU or do you use a seperate GPU

I use both? I think the NVIDIA GPU needs the integrated graphics to work properly? I might be wrong, though. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Cr33ps said:

Clearing CMOS (Resets the bios settings)

1.Power down and remove all excess cables

2.Caution this does void the warranty if it doesn't work, refer to the user manual

3.Find the CMOS battery (usally a round button cell)

4.Remove the battery

5.Press and hold the power button for around 15 seconds 

6.Insert the battery ( correctly )

7.Put everything back and power on

Done!

If I follow those steps, I lose my warranty. Does it re-enable the integrated graphics given that I disabled them on Windows? I need them to come back to use an external monitor to backup my data. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, jjasferreira said:

I think the NVIDIA GPU needs the integrated graphics to work properly?

It does. The nVidia use the outputs of the iGPU. The outputs are disabled when the iGPu is disabled.

7 minutes ago, jjasferreira said:

If I follow those steps, I lose my warranty. Does it re-enable the integrated graphics given that I disabled them on Windows? I need them to come back to use an external monitor to backup my data. Thanks.

If you have disabled the iGPU in Windows, resetting the BIOS wont help.

To resolve the issue, you need to start Windows in "Safe Mode" and change that setting back. In safe mode windows should not care about that setting and therefore show up on screen.

Easiest way to get your data of the drive is to remove it and make a copy of it with another computer. Or boot of a "live USB" with Linux as the disabled display out is done in Windows, the display out is working with another OS or boot-medium. 

11 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

If you have disabled the iGPU in Windows, resetting the BIOS wont help.

To resolve the issue, you need to start Windows in "Safe Mode" and change that setting back. In safe mode windows should not care about that setting and therefore show up on screen.

Easiest way to get your data of the drive is to remove it and make a copy of it with another computer. Or boot of a "live USB" with Linux as the disabled display out is done in Windows, the display out is working with another OS or boot-medium. 

I have a question. I know that Safe Mode resets all the drive settings and therefore re-enables the iGPU, but does the Automatic Repair Mode and winRE (before Safe Mode) also do that? If not, there is no way I can see what I'm doing using an external monitor and HDMI port.

Can I get all the information on a HDD drive using a "live USB", without opening the PC and possibly losing my warranty? That would be a relief.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, jjasferreira said:

I have a question. I know that Safe Mode resets all the drive settings and therefore re-enables the iGPU, but does the Automatic Repair Mode and winRE (before Safe Mode) also do that? If not, there is no way I can see what I'm doing using an external monitor and HDMI port.

Can I get all the information on a HDD drive using a "live USB", without opening the PC and possibly losing my warranty? That would be a relief.

Thanks.

Yes, so long windows haven't loaded the (disabled) driver you have display output.

Yes, you could clone the drive or copying your files without removing it with a live USB with Linux or a bootable USB with a program like Clonezilla, PartitionMagic and other cloning software. You just need an external HDD to connect via USB. If you have encrypted your home folder or drive your only option is to clone the whole drive.

49 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Yes, so long windows haven't loaded the (disabled) driver you have display output.

Yes, you could clone the drive or copying your files without removing it with a live USB with Linux or a bootable USB with a program like Clonezilla, PartitionMagic and other cloning software. You just need an external HDD to connect via USB. If you have encrypted your home folder or drive your only option is to clone the whole drive.

I'm sorry for bringing this up again, I didn't understand whether the Automatic Repair Mode and winRE, with which you start the Safe Mode also return to factory settings and therefore enable the iGPU. I would need that to happen, to use the HDMI cable and see what's happening on an external monitor, since the laptop's screen also has a hardware problem.

Do those "live USB" backup options require some actions on the PC itself, or does it extract the data by itself? I believe the HDD in question isn't encrypted.

Thank you.

5 hours ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

I'm sorry for bothering you, but you've been the most helpful so far. Can you take a look at this? Thanks in advance.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1409746-black-screen-after-disabling-my-intel-integrated-graphics-card/?do=findComment&comment=15247122

@jjasferreiraDepending on what kind of "live USB" you use you either have to manually select and copy your files to the new drive or manually select what kind of cloning you want to do, and from what source and destination. 

If you just want a copy of some of your files, boot to a USB with a Linux "live installer" like Linux Mint, select your files and copy them to a another USB or harddrive.

If you want an identical copy of your disk in your Laptop, use something like Clonezilla or Acronis True Image and copy the entire drive to another HDD or SSD.

https://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/homecomputing/trueimage/index.html

If you buy an external dock or "USB to SATA-cable" there usually is some form of cloning software included. 

1 hour ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

@jjasferreiraDepending on what kind of "live USB" you use you either have to manually select and copy your files to the new drive or manually select what kind of cloning you want to do, and from what source and destination. 

If you just want a copy of some of your files, boot to a USB with a Linux "live installer" like Linux Mint, select your files and copy them to a another USB or harddrive.

If you want an identical copy of your disk in your Laptop, use something like Clonezilla or Acronis True Image and copy the entire drive to another HDD or SSD.

https://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/homecomputing/trueimage/index.html

If you buy an external dock or "USB to SATA-cable" there usually is some form of cloning software included. 

My monitor isn't working so I think I can't use a live USB.

Thanks for helping, anyway!

45 minutes ago, jjasferreira said:

My monitor isn't working so I think I can't use a live USB.

Thanks for helping, anyway!

If your it's  your Desktop then and the BIOS is set the Intel iGPU is set to the default (Enabled).

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

If your it's  your Desktop then and the BIOS is set the Intel iGPU is set to the default (Enabled).

I didn't understand, sorry. How can I set the Intel iGPU to the default, without my monitor working?

On 2/6/2022 at 5:13 PM, jjasferreira said:

I didn't understand, sorry. How can I set the Intel iGPU to the default, without my monitor working?

Sorry I meant remove the Nvidia dGPU then turn on System, Enter the BIOS, change the Settings to to use the Installed dGPU for primary graphics. Then close case, and Boot.

31 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Sorry I meant remove the Nvidia dGPU then turn on System, Enter the BIOS, change the Settings to to use the Installed dGPU for primary graphics. Then close case, and Boot.

I think OP's explanation is not clear...

I believe OP is running a LAPTOP, rather than a desktop.

When he says "monitor" he means the laptop display.

He's connecting to an external monitor via the HDMI I/O port.

@jjasferreira what is the make and model of your ASUS laptop?

Are you able shut down the laptop, power it on again, and spam click the DELETE button to get into the laptop BIOS?

Another option, is to boot the laptop into Safe Mode.

But we would need to know your laptop model, so find out WHICH key you need to click to get into Safe Mode.

Some ASUS laptops use F10, others use F12, some use F4....etc.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>