So, im having horrible thoughts (switching to Iphone :S )

Rorgash

My contract is soon ending and iv always been anti apple and their closed system, but im not even really using more than phone and bluetooth headphones anyhow..

Now the bad bad thoughts im having is picking a Iphone 13 Mini as my next phone.. should I? and are there any problems im not seeing? iv never had any apple products.

My reason for this is simply ONE thing, it looks so damn sexy :P

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

5 minutes ago, Rorgash said:

My reason for this is simply ONE thing, it looks so damn sexy 😛

Well if thats the only reason then no absolutely not worth it

Idk how contracts work since I buy unlocked, but that's literally twice the price of a comparable Android. The Oneplus 8 is $350-375 on Amazon. Also, with a much smaller battery and a refresh rate locked to 60, battery life isn't great. It's good for a 2400mah phone, but not great. 

If you've known Android all your life, why spend twice as much on a low tier iPhone?

2 minutes ago, soundlogic said:

Idk how contracts work since I buy unlocked, but that's literally twice the price of a comparable Android. The Oneplus 8 is $350-375 on Amazon. Also, with a much smaller battery and a refresh rate locked to 60, battery life isn't great. It's good for a 2400mah phone, but not great. 

If you've known Android all your life, why spend twice as much on a low tier iPhone?

well i usually always buy unlocked as well, currently using a One plus 7 pro, so with a contract i would be paying like 10-15€ more a month than i do now, and i dont need a new phone the one i have works fine, getting a bit low on the battery after these years but otherwise great, its more because i like new tech, also smaller phone is nice used to do Sony´s small phones in the past.

When I personally get a phone, these are my personal criteria: how long will it get updates, and will there be community supported updates? How easy will it be to get parts for it in case it breaks? How expensive is it?

The phone that usually fits that criteria the best for me is the Pixel a series, since it's really cheap, because it's so popular parts are fairly plentiful (I don't really care that much how hard it is to fix as long as it's not impossible), and since Pixel phones tend to be the easiest to unlock the bootloader, you can flash a custom ROM to have an up to date Android version and keep the phone running. It helps that it's running stock android out of the box since that's what I'm used to, but it's not a requirement.

The iPhone 13 Mini does fit that criteria fairly well. iPhones get updates for what feels like forever and they are some of the easiest phones to get parts for (though the quality of the parts can be kind of sketchy). Where it falls apart for me is price: it's way too expensive to be practical. If you're fine spending the money for it, sure, go ahead, but just be warned that there are much better phones for just making texts and bluetooth headphones for less money. There is the iPhone SE3 rumored to come out, which is looking to be one of the best value phones you can get.

EDIT: You have a OnePlus 7 Pro, just keep that and run it into the ground. A battery replacement should be about ~$50 if you do it yourself, and ~$80-100 if you pay someone else to do it.

Edited by RONOTHAN##

7 minutes ago, Rorgash said:

well i usually always buy unlocked as well, currently using a One plus 7 pro, so with a contract i would be paying like 10-15€ more a month than i do now, and i dont need a new phone the one i have works fine, getting a bit low on the battery after these years but otherwise great, its more because i like new tech, also smaller phone is nice used to do Sony´s small phones in the past.

I'm of the belief that if you don't need a new phone, don't get a new phone. That phone can't be more than what, two years old? I'm shocked you ran the battery down in that time... 

1 minute ago, soundlogic said:

I'm of the belief that if you don't need a new phone, don't get a new phone. That phone can't be more than what, two years old? I'm shocked you ran the battery down in that time... 

i use it for music and youtube at work for about 9 hours a day, so its a daily full drain and recharge i think caused it, its still fine most days, coming home at around 14-20% most days

26 minutes ago, soundlogic said:

new tech device is fun and new.. thats about it 😛 and from what iv read/watched the mini is the full iphone 13 just smaller screen and battery

9 minutes ago, Rorgash said:

new tech device is fun and new.. thats about it

The thing is you can spend the ~$600 you would on the iPhone and get something much more fun by going with something else instead. You could get a new GPU once the prices come down (hopefully when Intel releases their cards), you could put it towards a better monitor, you could buy an old motherboard/CPU just to see what happens when you throw 1.6v at the vCore to get 5.5GHz, etc. There are so many more things that you'd be able to appreciate more than a new phone that you're gonna use for making a text and putting on music. 

Sure, do it.

I always had Android phones until I decided to try the iPhone starting with the 6S Plus and I've not looked back since.

Truthfully, they are more locked down and if you're the type to tinker with your phone, an iPhone probably isn't for you. But if you don't, the reliability and longevity that you can get out of modern iPhones is fantastic. If you're a heavy user, you might want to consider a battery swap after two or three years, but if you do that, you could probably use the phone for at least five to six years without any issue.

And Apple is offering a lot more in terms of customization than they were back in the day. You can even set a wallpaper now!

But jokes aside, I think it's an experience worth trying. If you don't like it, iPhones have fantastic resale value, so there's not a lot of value lost if you end up switching back to an Android device.

11 hours ago, Rorgash said:

My contract is soon ending and iv always been anti apple and their closed system, but im not even really using more than phone and bluetooth headphones anyhow..

Now the bad bad thoughts im having is picking a Iphone 13 Mini as my next phone.. should I? and are there any problems im not seeing? iv never had any apple products.

The battery should hold up under your use cases (I presume the screen is off while you're listening to music), so I'd say give it a whirl. If you're concerned, you can always spring for the regular iPhone 13.

It's the best small smartphone on the market, and I'm not being hyperbolic — the highest-quality display, the fastest performance, the strongest cameras. The battery life is genuinely good, particularly for the size; the OS update policy is the best in the industry. The biggest quirk is that some wireless chargers aren't designed for phones that small, particularly vertical stands.

And when it comes to views on Apple, I look at it this way: ultimately, a smartphone is a tool to get things done. It's more important to have a phone that meets your actual needs well than to have a theoretically more open but practically mediocre device (not that Android phones are inherently mediocre). If an iPhone handles those day-to-day tasks well, you're doing just fine. Besides, Apple is generally more respectful of privacy than Google, even if the claims about Google are sometimes exaggerated.

13 hours ago, Rorgash said:

There are plenty of reasons to look at an iPhone, however, this isn't a great reason.

Some practical reasons to look at an iPhone tend to include lengthy and generally reliable software support (without needing to resort to custom ROMs), high popularity assuring long-term availability of third party repair components and guides, not an absolute nightmare to work on for most common fixes, blisteringly fast SoCs, applications you might not find on Android, etc. Looks alone is not a great practical reason.

I've owned and used both Android devices and iPhones, both having their pros, and infuriating cons (iPhones require the terrible iTunes program to transfer music from PC, which doesn't even want to touch FLAC btw, and good friggen luck getting ahold of first-party parts, to name a couple). Just assess what you're looking for and choose accordingly. There's no judgement in picking the device that is best for you.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

15 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I've owned and used both Android devices and iPhones, both having their pros, and infuriating cons (iPhones require the terrible iTunes program to transfer music from PC, which doesn't even want to touch FLAC btw, and good friggen luck getting ahold of first-party parts, to name a couple). Just assess what you're looking for and choose accordingly. There's no judgement in picking the device that is best for you.

Just to clarify for the OP: this assumes you're transferring local music, of course. If you're using a streaming service like Apple Music or Spotify, it's kind of a non-issue.

Also: Apple is in the midst of launching a self-repair program that lets you buy official parts and fix your iPhone (or Mac) yourself. I'm sure it won't be cheap, but it's an option!

On 2/6/2022 at 1:21 AM, Rorgash said:

As an Android user that switched to using and supporting iPhone 5 years ago I'd ask myself these questions: Do I need access to custom apps\appstores? Longer that a day of battery life? Self repair options?

If your answer is no to most of that, iPhone is a good option for you. They're great for just casual music, texting, and reddit etc.. If having a long software support life (4+ years) is worth it to you then the extra cost makes sense as well. If it's just aesthetics and functionality that you're looking for (and expect to swap phones every 3-4 years) a Samsung or other Android is probably better for you.

On 2/6/2022 at 8:30 AM, soundlogic said:

A oneplus 8 is nowhere near comparable to an iPhone 13. It’s literally laughable the difference 

On 2/6/2022 at 8:21 AM, Rorgash said:

Depends what you want. Apple does some things better than android and you basically in a closed ecosystem there anyway, sure your can side load shit but do you really want to?

On 2/6/2022 at 2:10 PM, Zodiark1593 said:

There is no need for an iTunes to transfer your music/data onto your iPhone, unless you need to use a native app that doesn't work otherwise. Also iPhone can play FLAC using built-in file manager (not the 'full music player' experience). If you need a 'music player app for FLAC', then you have to get a non-native app.

Example: VLC - you can transfer/stream media files over the wifi within the app or access it from your pc through VLC's sharing function. To be clear I never used VLC as a music player, so I can't comment on this use case.

whenever i have this though i open some random news story and open youtube vanced and remind myself that switching to iPhone means a life of ads and i don't want that