Need an ECC memory compatible motherboard for i7 3770

Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

The 3770 doesn't support ECC regardless of motherboard. On Intel ECC support is reserved to Xeon CPUs.

As the title suggests, I have an i7 3770 CPU and some ECC memory modules and I want to build a basic home server/PC system to be used solely for backup storage, archive storage and media serving to various devices on the home network.

Ive tried looking for 1155 motherboards which support ECC memory, but there doesn't seem to be much. There are the 1155 Xeon motherboards which support ECC, but I'm not sure they'd support the i7 3770.

Can anyone advise or help?

The 3770 doesn't support ECC regardless of motherboard. On Intel ECC support is reserved to Xeon CPUs.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, takkischitt said:

Ive tried looking for 1155 motherboards which support ECC memory, but there doesn't seem to be much. There are the 1155 Xeon motherboards which support ECC

you will require a  Xeon processor to use ECC memory when it comes to Intel CPUs

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Aww, well there goes that idea! I'll have to look into getting some DDR3 non-ecc memory.

Thanks for the quick reply. 

18 minutes ago, takkischitt said:

Aww, well there goes that idea! I'll have to look into getting some DDR3 non-ecc memory.

Thanks for the quick reply. 

You can still use your ECC ram, but the ECC function will be disabled 

23 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

22 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

you will require a  Xeon processor to use ECC memory when it comes to Intel CPUs

Unbuffered ECC will generally work with consumer chips/boards minus the error correcting.

@takkischitt Make sure the memory is unbuffered. If so, you'll probably be fine with whatever board you end up getting.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

14 hours ago, LTTFan16538228 said:

You don’t need ECC memory for a basic backup/media server.

Oh, I thought ECC memory was generally better for that sort of use. Can you elaborate?

14 hours ago, Roswell said:

Unbuffered ECC will generally work with consumer chips/boards minus the error correcting.

@takkischitt Make sure the memory is unbuffered. If so, you'll probably be fine with whatever board you end up getting.

I'll check the memory modules when doing the build. I take it if I'm not sure, I could just stick the memory modules in and see if they're detected?

21 minutes ago, takkischitt said:

Oh, I thought ECC memory was generally better for that sort of use. Can you elaborate?

It's error correcting memory. Ram almost never even has an error happen and normally it's not unrecoverable. The change you'll ever take advantage of ecc ram in a personal backup nas thingy is basically 0. So it's absolutely not needed.