Miners selling GPUs from farms - should you get one?

Cris.py

So, with recent drop in crypto I've already seen few panic sales. Talking a guy one town over selling like 300 different GPUs, another one had like 100 2080ti etc.

I remember the first crypto crash when you could buy a 1070 for under 100 eur. I don't expect same level of cheap now but prices are already dropping it seems. So this got me to a question: should one buy a mining GPU. I can imagine someone with such large farm would know how to keep them cool and safe. Can you expect any serious failures other than fans etc dying? Any info is helpful.

Depends on the price. Dont expect to get a second hand card and dont have to any maintenance on it. I personally dont care as long as card is not broken or displaying any sort of artifacts, I will happily replace thermal paste, pads and fans and flash its stock bios if I got the card for cheap.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I would treat it like buying a used engine. While you have it out you might as well strip and rebuild the whole thing. That said even if you bought a used card, I would view it as a band aid ultimately and would strong suggest continuing to set aside money for a replacement should that GPU suddenly fail.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

Depends on the price. I remember stocking up on a pile of 480's that lasted me about a year. Also some other 900 series and other cards that ended up lasting me through this gpu problem till somewhere halfway last year for people looking for a budget option in their gaming system. You could get a butload of cards for 1000€ when that happened :p.

Of course it all depends on how well taken care of they were. I only bought them of people that had a lot of info, pictures that had a date of their current render farm condition and a couple test buys before going big on the load. Ended up out of the 150 ish cards I bought with 4 dead ones and 5 damaged ones of which I basically could fix all with just using spare parts of the dead ones. A fair few did need thermal paste replacements and some needed new fans but all in all not a lot of work for a lot of value.

Anyone knowing what they are doing mining ran the card at a low load there shouldn't be any card issues.  Depending on the setup/miner though the fan usage may have been high.  The fan is the only thing I would worry about. 

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

"Professional" miners who have actual multi-GPU rigs farms would typically know what they're doing and the card wouldn't have suffered any more "wear" than it would gaming for the same length of time.

If we're talking about little 10 year old JaxonDaGamer who is trying to mine on his single card in between rounds of Fortnite that's a different matter.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

No different than buying any outer used card. As long as its a good card from a good manufacture, I'd buy it. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Don't. Instead make Coin Miners eat their Cost as much as possible. They are responsible for causing Brownouts around the World.