Anyone Seen Humble's New Blog? Thoughts?

KageSong

So, I see this as some good news for gamers myself. Maybe not huge news, but something positive in a world where game producers are not doing a whole lot positive. I've had a subscription myself since back when it was just $12 bucks a month, and you got to see two games up front. Then IGN bought it, I kept my Choice membership as a classic member or whatever, so I've gotten all the games each month, but it bothered me as a system, and the quality had seemed to drop, just a bit, but not terribly. I didn't like the tiers though, that just made the deal less appealing. So, they asked the community (I know I was polled and wrote an essay in), and seem to have actually listened. I think that we'll see some months with like 3 or 4 games, but no tiers, and maybe more recent games, I can go for it. Curious what everyone else think. Link to blog below for source.

https://blog.humblebundle.com/2022/01/11/humble-choice-is-leveling-up/?utm_source=Humble+Bundle+Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=22_01_26_choice_update_reminder&utm_content=12_plus_plan&mcID=102:61ef145ba57c200e25258e8a:ot:56da8e4a733462ca895db39e:1&linkID=61ef1632897f204e5013a6d8

-Moved to PC Gaming-

Ever since gamepass came to PC humble bundle really hasn't been ideal for myself.

The old look was unappealing, this new one is fine I guess. But if I'm spending 12 USD every month, I might as well spend the extra few dollars to get a larger library of (arguably) better games

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 hour ago, KageSong said:

757314353501438014.webp

Kinda have to agree with @Slottr's point above. WIth gaming subscription services like EA Play and Xbox Game Pass available and affordable, it's hard to find Humble Choice appealing.

In terms of value, EA Play or EA Play Pro is usually $5 - $15 / 1 mo or $5 / 3 mo when a deal's on, Xbox Game Pass is $1 / 1st mo, then $10 - $15 / mo, while the Humble Choice is $12 / mo. And in terms of content, both EA Play and Xbox Game Pass grants access to hundreds of games, as well as acclaimed titles (Battlefield, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Sims, Hitman, Halo, R6 Siege, FIFA, Forza Horizon, etc.), while Humble Choice tends to lean towards Indie games and is a massive shot in the dark prior to that month's releases.

Also, personally, not a big fan of mystery box purchases.

Or subscription services in general, but that's 'nother can o' worms.

Often, only one or two out of the entire lot matches my preferences. Most of the other items (games, in this case) find themselves rotting away in whatever storage I keep 'em in. Then, spring cleaning happens, and they end up being given away. 662096681248096266.webp?size=44&quality=lossless

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

@Eschew, you do know it's not mystery anymore yeah?

Anyway, a lot of the not matching tastes is what their going for on one point. On the other, I'm actually subbed to gamepass, and Uplay+ and still enjoy what I get through Humble. If I don't want it, pausing is no issue. So I don't really see the others as reasons against it.

On one hand, I have to echo @Eschewand @Slottr's lack of enthusiasm for Humble Choice.

I'm a current subscriber, and I find myself skipping most months because I already have the games I'm interested into, or there are simply no games that interest me.

On the other hand, I see the value in it, and I don't fully agree with the comparisons to GamePass or EA Play.
If you ever stop/have to stop paying for those, you lose access to all those games; you're not getting the games, you're... renting them.
With humble, you get a Steam code, so even if you don't want to / can't afford paying one of those subs, you still have your Humble games to play whenever you want.

That being said, their "Humble Games Collection" is... worrying. If they intend to transition to a "renting" model like GamePass et al, they're going to quickly become utterly irrelevant and disappear.
Hopefully they keep it simply as a "bonus", and the game codes remain as the core of the service.

11 hours ago, Rauten said:

On one hand, I have to echo @Eschewand @Slottr's lack of enthusiasm for Humble Choice.

I'm a current subscriber, and I find myself skipping most months because I already have the games I'm interested into, or there are simply no games that interest me.

On the other hand, I see the value in it, and I don't fully agree with the comparisons to GamePass or EA Play.
If you ever stop/have to stop paying for those, you lose access to all those games; you're not getting the games, you're... renting them.
With humble, you get a Steam code, so even if you don't want to / can't afford paying one of those subs, you still have your Humble games to play whenever you want.

That being said, their "Humble Games Collection" is... worrying. If they intend to transition to a "renting" model like GamePass et al, they're going to quickly become utterly irrelevant and disappear.
Hopefully they keep it simply as a "bonus", and the game codes remain as the core of the service.

The last part I'm with you on. But, I think that's the plan. I think they'll have fewer, but higher quality monthly codes, and then something like the vault, but with more like AA+ games.