Need advice for a GTX 1060 upgrade~

Go to solution Solved by Bitter,

That's an awfully high end CPU in an awfully low end motherboard, isn't it power limit and/or VRM thermal throttling the poor thing? Right now a GPU is your bottleneck and there's nothing 'worth' the prices people are currently paying so no point in a CPU OC, but later on when you do get a better GPU that motherboard is going to be holding you back from overclocking the CPU to keep up with the new GPU.

Hey there!
I've been on a journey to upgrade my PC over the years, and I've done it a couple of times to the point that I got pretty happy on where it is now
I currently have an
ASUS TUF H310M-PLUS GAMING/BR Motherboard
i7-9700KF CPU
2 sticks of 8gb DDR4 RAM
and, of course, a GTX 1060 6gb
(My Power Supply PSU is 550W for the record, maybe I'll need to update it in order to overclock with a more recent GPU? don't fully know)

However, although this setup is fine for 1080p 60fps for a lot of games, I think I'd like to upgrade my GPU so my PC can handle max settings 1080p 60fps on more recent triple A games/heavy duty games in general, like assassin's creed valhala, cyberpunk 2077, FFXV, etc
And maybe (hopefully, not a necessity) get up to 1080p 120 fps on some of my favs, like KH3

I currently have been taking a look at the RX 6600 for a possible upgrade option, but I don't know if it is the best one available for what I'm looking for on my budget, which of course is around the pricing of the RX 6600
So i'd like some help in the form of some GPU suggestions!
I've never used an AMD GPU before and I have a lot more experience with NVIDIA's GPUs overall, but I am more than willing to switch to an AMD GPU if for the RX 6600 price range nvidia just loses. I just want a good modern GPU for 1080p 60 fps gameplay that hopefully holds up for some years to come. (and preferrably doesnt cost one of my eyes)

"Around the pricing of the RX 6600" means nothing. What's the number?

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

43 minutes ago, RitsuoFox said:

However, although this setup is fine for 1080p 60fps for a lot of games, I think I'd like to upgrade my GPU so my PC can handle max settings 1080p 60fps on more recent triple A games/heavy duty games in general

There's no point in upgrading if you have the same frame target with some cranked settings. Deal with what you have or aim for higher frame targets. You'll yield negligible results at best between medium/high settings, and max settings does nothing but put unnecessary load on your system in most instances with minimal impact on visual fidelity.

And maybe (hopefully, not a necessity) get up to 1080p 120 fps on some of my favs, like KH3

Higher framerates are CPU bound, turn down your in-game graphics settings.

I currently have been taking a look at the RX 6600 for a possible upgrade option, but I don't know if it is the best one available for what I'm looking for on my budget, which of course is around the pricing of the RX 6600

$379 MSRP (out of stock), commonly found for $600 with current inflated pricing. Not worth it in your case.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

What's your exact PSU? That could make a difference if your upgrade can handle it.

Are you from the US or anywhere else? Because the market prices vary a lot worldwide.

6600xt would be a good upgrade , i think anything higher you would probably need to upgrade the cpu and whatnot too.

As for your psu 550w should be ok but it heavily depends on brand and *model*

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

That's an awfully high end CPU in an awfully low end motherboard, isn't it power limit and/or VRM thermal throttling the poor thing? Right now a GPU is your bottleneck and there's nothing 'worth' the prices people are currently paying so no point in a CPU OC, but later on when you do get a better GPU that motherboard is going to be holding you back from overclocking the CPU to keep up with the new GPU.

On 1/23/2022 at 12:29 PM, Bitter said:

Sorry for the late answer, but this is exactly what I was hoping to hear from a reply!
I'm currently studying IT in college but even so I'm still very new to building PCs and still learning about hardware in general
When I posted this I just wanted to know what would be a good GPU to suit what I was looking for, but didnt know for example that even with the GPU upgrade the motherboard was gonna hold me back.
As you can probably guess since most of the parts on the PC are fairly weak compared to the i7-9700kf, this CPU was a recent upgrade since my old one was bottlenecking me hard. I found it for a good price and knew it would last me a good time even after upgrades to other parts.
But I had no clue my motherboard was going to be an issue, another thing that I found out only after finishing the build is that my cooler even without overclocking puts the thing at about 85Cº, so after overclocking it would probably start to thermal throttle.
And lastly my power supply is fairly old, didn't need to upgrade it when I got the i7-9700kf so I kept it, but I'll need a better one for a new GPU + overclocking.
Now I know what to look for before I finally get my new GPU!
My PC needs a better motherboard, a better cooler/cooling system for my CPU and a better power supply. With all that done my new GPU will be nice and ready for use alongside my CPU which will finally be able to be overclocked.
Thank you! With this reply alongside GPU recommendations from this post, and posts on other forums, I'm more ready to actually go through with my PC upgrades.