Just got ZorinOS as a begginer and I reccomend it!

Do you have an old laptop/PC that is just not doing it? Well I was in that situation with my ThinkPad x301 until i got ZorinOS. Here is my little review if you are thinking about the switch.

UI: Is really windows like and really easy to get into.

Software: Everything nowadays is avalible for ubuntu/linux so I had no problems with that. I even menaged to install some third party software with the terminal by just following a simple 2min guide.

Performance: I was really impressed with the performance boost! My CPU would idle at 75C and with Win10 but with ZorinOS even when watching yt videos it would not go over 60C wich is really good for this old laptop.

Overall: If you hate windows and want to switch to the "dark side" I recommend it. Of course it doesnt need to be ZorinOS there are a lot of other options like Linux Mint.

ps. sorry for bad english

I daily drive ZorinOS Core on my work laptop. It looks and feels really good to use, and has so far served me well. IMO it's the best user-friendly distro I tried so far.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

3 hours ago, Mario5 said:

I even managed to install some third party software with the terminal by just following a simple 2min guide.

The fact you have to use the damn terminal, is the biggest turn off from Linux for me. I still await for the day when the terminal is only to be used for advanced stuff and not for doing a mundane task like installing a piece of software.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

The fact you have to use the damn terminal, is the biggest turn off from Linux for me. I still await for the day when the terminal is only to be used for advanced stuff and not for doing a mundane task like installing a piece of software.

Sadly, not gonna happen. CLI work is part and parcel to *nix

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

14 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

CLI work is part and parcel to *nix

So, uhh. macOS is technically a *nix OS (and IS a  Unix system) and I don't see that happening for the average user

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

29 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

You don't really need to if you choose a distro that have options for software that aren't in their official repos. Flatpak or AppImage are tackling this issue currently it just depends on the applications using those as distribution method. AppImage in particular works for the user basically the same way as a .exe if the distro supports it out of the box.

Also you usually can just add third party/user repositories to your software manager using the GUI, but that depends on you finding good repos that contain all the software you want. More often than not you don't actually need to use the terminal to most things in many mainstream distros, it's just that every tutorial uses it over having to go through all the different GUIs that are used.

6 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Sadly, not gonna happen. CLI work is part and parcel to *nix

5 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

So, uhh. macOS is technically a *nix OS (and IS a  Unix system) and I don't see that happening for the average user

It is absolutely possible to have a *nix OS that can go without a terminal, or have one needed only for the 1% advanced users. MacOSX, Android, and ChromeOS are living proof of that. There's no reason Linux isn't technically capable of this as well, but Linux is way too fragmented and the GUI tools aren't good enough right now. Maybe one day, hopefully, but no one can say for sure. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

2 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

It is absolutely possible to have a *nix OS that can go without a terminal, or have one needed only for the 1% advanced users. MacOSX, Android, and ChromeOS are living proof of that. There's no reason Linux isn't technically capable of this as well, but Linux is way too fragmented and the GUI tools aren't good enough right now. Maybe one day, hopefully, but no one can say for sure. 

But why would you want to? Classical MacOS didn't a have CLI or Terminal which is why you had to use a Lisa or UNIX Workstation to write applications for it.

4 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

But why would you want to? Classical MacOS didn't a have CLI or Terminal which is why you had to use a Lisa or UNIX Workstation to write applications for it.

Read every Windows users opinion on the Linux terminal and you'll know why. 

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

Just now, LloydLynx said:

Read every Windows users opinion on the Linux terminal and you'll know why. 

Neither CP/M nor MS-DOS/PC-DOS had any GUIs yet. Yet you didn't hear Users complaining at the time...

Just now, whm1974 said:

Neither CP/M nor MS-DOS/PC-DOS had any GUIs yet. Yet you didn't hear Users complaining at the time...

That was back when graphics capability was super limited and GUIs were a massive waste of precious resources. GUIs have been the norm for decades at this point. I love my minimal tiling window manager setup as much as the next Linux elitist, but most users couldn't/won't use that kind of environment. I vote for the MacOSX approach in that everything the average user would want to do can be done through the GUI, but us advanced users still have a fully featured powerful terminal just like always. 

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

4 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

That was back when graphics capability was super limited and GUIs were a massive waste of precious resources. GUIs have been the norm for decades at this point. I love my minimal tiling window manager setup as much as the next Linux elitist, but most users couldn't/won't use that kind of environment. I vote for the MacOSX approach in that everything the average user would want to do can be done through the GUI, but us advanced users still have a fully featured powerful terminal just like always. 

Well I thought GUIs were impossible with 8-bit CPUs w/ only 64K of RAM. That is until I read about GEOS. The C64 and C128, Apple II line, but strangely enough I haven't read anything about the Atari 8-bit systems. I never encountered GEOS during School when I was a kid.

19 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Is it so hard to learn “sudo apt install whatever”? Or “apt search whatever”? Also quicker and more secure than searching stuff in any kind of AppStore or online.

17 hours ago, whm1974 said:

How often is this Distro updated?

Zorin is based on Ubuntu LTS releases, and the latest release was back in August, which used Ubuntu 20.04. There hasn't a dot release yet, so Zorin 16 is the latest release.

Like Ubuntu LTS releases, they release every two years (Zorin 15 was released in 2019 and 16 was in 2021).

1 hour ago, Alexeygridnev1993 said:

Is it so hard to learn “sudo apt install whatever”? Or “apt search whatever”?

Yes. Don't assume everyone has the time and the braincells to learn this stuff instead of having something that "just works" (not talking about Apple here).

and more secure

Considering it's random people on the internet providing these terminal scripts to install stuff that you have have no idea what is going on with them...

Spoiler

L.A. Noire "Doubt" / Press X To Doubt | Know Your Meme

If you're fine trusting anyone and think there's no malicious actors out there just because it's Linux, you're delusional. Sorry, but I said what I said.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

Don't assume everyone has the time and the braincells to learn this stuff instead of having something that "just works"

Sure it’s so much easier to learn where exactly to find that one stupid setting in the forth layer of menus in one of the multiple Windows control panels than it is to learn two commands in the terminal /s

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Considering it's random people on the internet providing these terminal scripts to install stuff that you have have no idea what is going on with them...

Isn’t it the same with downloading random .exe files from random websites? Actually, it’s worse, as at least the terminal commands have manuals which explain exactly what they are doing.

7 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

If you're fine trusting anyone and think there's no malicious actors out there just because it's Linux, you're delusional.

Apt repository is maintained by developers who are mostly paid money to do so. There have been instances of someone uploading malicious software to them, but those were exceptions. In contrast, spreading malware via random .exe files on Windows is pretty much the routine.

Apt repository is maintained by developers who are mostly paid money to do so. There have been instances of someone uploading malicious software to them, but those were exceptions. In contrast, spreading malware via random .exe files on Windows is pretty much the routine.

Yep using the Distro's Repository is far safer then download whatever from random sites...

On 1/10/2022 at 6:59 PM, TetraSky said:

I was thinking the same before i used ZorinOS. But for installing apps and removing them is really easy to understand and remember. And most distros have appstores with GUI. I just used the terminal to dowload ThinkFan and java.

On 1/10/2022 at 5:51 PM, whm1974 said:

A link would be nice.

i mean you have google but here it is. https://zorin.com/os/

I got the core version wich is free you have the lite one if you have a really bad pc/laptop