Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel

your expectations are somewhat unreasonable

The only ones that are going to buy it are the ones that loved it regardless, making improvements to it before releasing it on BR is icing on the cake and will draw in more people that were on the fence over it. Giving it a few buffs that they had to exclude from time constraints is a smart move, in my opinion.

You have to -try- to make an outstanding anime, go for mass appeal to hit guaranteed audiences, and do it within a time constraint. It's not that straightforward of a thing to do. The first and second frequently counteract each other.

their pricing and sales model is stupid, the actual content isn't

Hmm, i guess that's why we only see generic shounens and harems? Those will surely hit guaranteed audiences, doing something different might go wrong or great.

I think it's a smart move to take advantage of bad stuff such as time limits that force them to exclude stuff and whatnot, but okay if the TV series is free to watch, then the prices shouldn't be that high. Specially if the Bluray is what the anime would've been if they had more time.

Tbh, most of the times it looks like they did it on porpouse.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

Hmm, i guess that's why we only see generic shounens and harems? Those will surely hit guaranteed audiences, doing something different might go wrong or great.

I think it's a smart move to take advantage of bad stuff such as time limits that force them to exclude stuff and whatnot, but okay if the TV series is free to watch, then the prices shouldn't be that high. Specially if the Bluray is what the anime would've been if they had more time.

Tbh, most of the times it looks like they did it on porpouse.

well not only that but we are not its intended market so what people in their main market want will have far more priority to what people in secondary markets want.

FINALLY

A really, really good first episode from a fall season show: Utawarerumono.

tumblr_nvnmiqXbt21qz64n4o1_500.gif

It was chill, funny and exciting all in the same episode. Great sense of mystery and adventure with really likeable characters.

Huh?... Is... That a remake? Or a sequel?

Well, I finished SAO at long last. Due to the fact that I only get to watch a single episode every day, I tend to progress through an anime at a glacial pace, and so opportunities for me to give an opinion on a full show are limited. Thus, even though I know 99% of you have already watched it, I'm going to give you my thoughts on it anyway...because it will probably be months before I finish another anime and talk about that ;)

Overall, I really, really enjoyed it. While it wasn't perfect, and there were times I found myself grimacing at a particular plot hole or clunky dialogue, it did not take away from what I felt were very well written characters and a fascinating world. Sure, most the characters got side-lined as the storyline progressed, but the fact that they all got their chance to shine and were still involved on some level throughout both seasons was compensation enough. Each was unique and the fact that I can’t pick out a favourite (protagonist aside) tells me that the show struck a great balance (at least for me).       

Indeed, perhaps the best “character” was the world itself, which was truly captivating. To me, the sign of a great anime is one that captures my imagination, and SAO achieved that, and then some. In fact, I’ve spent far longer planning my own story-lines and pondering what I would do in similar situations, than I have actually watching the show. It is that persistence and creative spark that really made the show move from good to great. Sure, not everyone looks for that aspect in an anime, but for me it is a major consideration.

Plot-wise, the first arc was superb and it was a shame that it couldn't have been stretched out for an entire season. When I think about all the things they could have done and the opportunities missed, it does make me long for more of that world. Nevertheless, each of the following arcs were strong enough that they weren't eclipsed by the first one and I enjoyed them all thoroughly. In fact, I can honestly say that I didn't watch a bad episode. Sure, some where better than others, but they were all well written, well animated and I enjoyed each and every one.

The unexpectred gem for me was the final arc- Mother's Rosario. I'd gotten used to the status-quo of the past arcs at this point and was expected something along the same lines. What I found instead was an incredibly powerful story that not only reintroduced Asuna as the main protagonist (something I had been hoping for since the start of the show) but also delivered one of the most emotive storylines I've seen in an anime, over the course of only a few episodes, with a fantastic new character. The relative lack of action was completely forgotten, and since I always prefer dialogue and story over great fight scenes, it was right up my alley.

It was also very personal for me, which may be why it stands head and shoulders above the other storylines. Due to the job I do, I've had the honour of meeting kids just like Yukki, fighting the same battle and showing the same spirit and resilience as she, even up to the day they lose the fight. Having worked with some of these kids for years, I can say that the anime captured that fight very well, and the memories it played on were very powerful on a deeply personal level.

Music was solid, the visuals were stunning (obviously) and both the sub and dub were top notch, though the sub just pips the dub at the post in my humble opinion.

Overall, this was a great anime for me and well worth the time I spent watching it. I can understand why there is so much hype about it, and while I also understand the negatives some levied at it, the faults are vastly outweighed by the positives. Excellent, truly, truly excellent.     

On a side note, does anyone know where I can get the original Japanese visual novels from? Not all have them have been translated into English, and I can’t for the life of me find somewhere that sells them in the western world, let alone the UK. Hopefully I’ll find somewhere while I work through the books that are in English and then transition over to the Japanese.  

And with that, I am done for the next couple of months. Next on the list- Kokoro Connect (probably).

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

Huh?... Is... That a remake? Or a sequel?

It's listed as an "alternative setting". It didn't feel sequel-y when I watched it, there was nothing to be confused about and it introduced everything as I would expect from a first episode. But I plan to watch the 2006 anime this week anyway just in case.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Hot damn that's some catchy melody and beat, some great electronic sounds. Too bad the vocals are kind of annoying.

Error: 410

I would never be able to write something like that, my writing is very weak.

Spoiler
Well, I finished SAO at long last. Due to the fact that I only get to watch a single episode every day, I tend to progress through an anime at a glacial pace, and so opportunities for me to give an opinion on a full show are limited. Thus, even though I know 99% of you have already watched it, I'm going to give you my thoughts on it anyway...because it will probably be months before I finish another anime and talk about that ;)

Overall, I really, really enjoyed it. While it wasn't perfect, and there were times I found myself grimacing at a particular plot hole or clunky dialogue, it did not take away from what I felt were very well written characters and a fascinating world. Sure, most the characters got side-lined as the storyline progressed, but the fact that they all got their chance to shine and were still involved on some level throughout both seasons was compensation enough. Each was unique and the fact that I can’t pick out a favourite (protagonist aside) tells me that the show struck a great balance (at least for me).       

Indeed, perhaps the best “character” was the world itself, which was truly captivating. To me, the sign of a great anime is one that captures my imagination, and SAO achieved that, and then some. In fact, I’ve spent far longer planning my own story-lines and pondering what I would do in similar situations, than I have actually watching the show. It is that persistence and creative spark that really made the show move from good to great. Sure, not everyone looks for that aspect in an anime, but for me it is a major consideration.

Plot-wise, the first arc was superb and it was a shame that it couldn't have been stretched out for an entire season. When I think about all the things they could have done and the opportunities missed, it does make me long for more of that world. Nevertheless, each of the following arcs were strong enough that they weren't eclipsed by the first one and I enjoyed them all thoroughly. In fact, I can honestly say that I didn't watch a bad episode. Sure, some where better than others, but they were all well written, well animated and I enjoyed each and every one.

The unexpectred gem for me was the final arc- Mother's Rosario. I'd gotten used to the status-quo of the past arcs at this point and was expected something along the same lines. What I found instead was an incredibly powerful story that not only reintroduced Asuna as the main protagonist (something I had been hoping for since the start of the show) but also delivered one of the most emotive storylines I've seen in an anime, over the course of only a few episodes, with a fantastic new character. The relative lack of action was completely forgotten, and since I always prefer dialogue and story over great fight scenes, it was right up my alley.

It was also very personal for me, which may be why it stands head and shoulders above the other storylines. Due to the job I do, I've had the honour of meeting kids just like Yukki, fighting the same battle and showing the same spirit and resilience as she, even up to the day they lose the fight. Having worked with some of these kids for years, I can say that the anime captured that fight very well, and the memories it played on were very powerful on a deeply personal level.

Music was solid, the visuals were stunning (obviously) and both the sub and dub were top notch, though the sub just pips the dub at the post in my humble opinion.

Overall, this was a great anime for me and well worth the time I spent watching it. I can understand why there is so much hype about it, and while I also understand the negatives some levied at it, the faults are vastly outweighed by the positives. Excellent, truly, truly excellent.     

On a side note, does anyone know where I can get the original Japanese visual novels from? Not all have them have been translated into English, and I can’t for the life of me find somewhere that sells them in the western world, let alone the UK. Hopefully I’ll find somewhere while I work through the books that are in English and then transition over to the Japanese.  

And with that, I am done for the next couple of months. Next on the list- Kokoro Connect (probably).

-snip-

You have said much. Yet you fail to convey much of anything in the end. Is your vague description supposed to justify giving this mediocre show the time of day?

Current System: Corsair Graphite 760T White/ Asus X99-S / Intel Core i7 5820K / Corsair H100i GTX / EVGA Titan X SuperClocked / HyperX Fury 4x8GB 2666mhz DDR4/ Corsair AX1500i / Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400gb / Samsung Evo 840 500gb / WD Green 4TB x2 / WD Green 3TB /  OCZ Agility 3 120gb

Thank you!!

I've read so many people saying the last arc was bad, and i really liked it too. I can't relate to it as you did, but i know the feeling of having something personal and seeing it on an anime makes it incredible.

When i finished the first season, i wanted a 2nd season that doesn't involve that many action, or that isn't even in the virtual world. The whole 2nd season wasn't like that, but that last arc gave me what i wanted, so i was very pleased with it.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

You have said much. Yet you fail to convey much of anything in the end. Is your vague description supposed to justify giving this mediocre show the time of day?

I was hoping to convey what I thought about the show. It wasn't a review, just my opinion about what I watched. Apologies if it wasn't your cup of tea. 

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

Well, time to hit the gym and work off my frustrations, since watching some more new anime sure didn't manage to do that.

Hot Spring Fairy Hakone (1). mediocre.

I figured it's a short, so why not. I really should rather have asked "why". All that happened was a guy met a little kid shrine spirit who helped him fall into his love interest's boobs. Just how many times do anime have to recycle this gag before they realize how lame it is? You'd think if this was a fanservice comedy, they'd have a bit more fanservice and/or comedy, but nope.

Comet Lucifer (1). decent.

Well, the first ten minutes of this almost had me sold, but then it tripped over its own feet and got really stupid really quickly with that "wedding chase" scene, and things never recovered. I was more than willing to overlook the bog-standard premise and plot (and dumb names like "giftdia", hello Plastic Memories), but the physics of that chase scene were just mental. It seems like lately, these kinds of anime with an almost cinematic feel just don't care about their script, and you end up with nice-looking shit happening that happens in every other anime like this. Now, this wasn't quite head-up-ass levels of dumb like Aldnoah Zero, but I certainly didn't feel any creative soul here (aside from the poor CG animators who clearly worked hard to make those mecha integrate cleanly with the rest of the art). So this was nice-looking, sure, but clearly they gave up on the script ten minutes in, and I don't want to watch yet another show with bland stock characters that I have to self-insert into. I hope the next episode is better.

when you get like 70+ new videos a day in your feed that gets annoying and i have done that for a long time before I just gave up.

if you look at imgur im assuming you know the images i saw lol

Your options:
  • unsub from people you don't actually watch
  • create a program that is better at managing youtube subs
  • give up (as you've seem to have chosen).
I get like 20-40 new videos a day. It takes about 2-3 minutes to set the ones I want to watch to "watch later".

Then I go to the playlist and hit play. Watch them all. Then keep clicking "remove" until they are all gone. I think you may be making it harder than it seems, because I can't see how that'd be much more difficult with more videos. You can rearrange the order very easily in the Watch Later playlist. 

IDK man. I guess I'm just used to it? I just don't see how it could be something to complain about in any form myself. But then again, I'm not playing Terraria 70% of my free time anyway. :P 

Oh, I'll be on in like 3 hours to play btw. Doing laundry & such.

o, i no wat u saw kek. Not gonna lie though, the only thing stopping her from being Korra is bending the elements AFAICT. She'd be an amazing cosplayer for her.

Hot damn that's some catchy melody and beat, some great electronic sounds. Too bad the vocals are kind of annoying.

The beat is off. I can't listen to this when none of the individual beats line up. Like they are off in timing or wtv such that they can never hit at the same time. This is like torture in terms of music.

I can't take it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

well, he said so right here

It was also very personal for me, which may be why it stands head and shoulders above the other storylines.

that's typically justification for an inflated score.

and mediocre will vary greatly from person to person, since perspective changes as you've seen more.

typically if you don't watch very much the bar for doesn't move very far up.

I can't commentate here, I haven't watched anything beyond SAO 1.

Thank you!!

I've read so many people saying the last arc was bad, and i really liked it too. I can't relate to it as you did, but i know the feeling of having something personal and seeing it on an anime makes it incredible.

When i finished the first season, i wanted a 2nd season that doesn't involve that many action, or that isn't even in the virtual world. The whole 2nd season wasn't like that, but that last arc gave me what i wanted, so i was very pleased with it.

I think it just comes down to personal preference and what you enjoy. I like more reflective stories, so it makes sense that I would enjoy it much more than someone who is orientated towards actions and fighting. 

and mediocre will vary greatly from person to person, since perspective changes as you've seen more.

I am guilty, and not ashamed, of inflating INCREDIBLY some scores of anime i've got personal shit involved on it and stuff.

I was hoping to convey how I felt about the show. It wasn't a review, just my feelings about what I watched. Apologies if it wasn't your cup of tea. 

That is fine. Sometimes I just feel a little confrontational and need to get it out of my system. Please do not take it the wrong way. Though I disagree with your assessment, I don't begrudge you your opinions.

Current System: Corsair Graphite 760T White/ Asus X99-S / Intel Core i7 5820K / Corsair H100i GTX / EVGA Titan X SuperClocked / HyperX Fury 4x8GB 2666mhz DDR4/ Corsair AX1500i / Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400gb / Samsung Evo 840 500gb / WD Green 4TB x2 / WD Green 3TB /  OCZ Agility 3 120gb

well, he said so right here

I was very deliberate in not scoring it, as it wasn't meant to be a review, just my thoughts on the show. But I absolutely agree that personal experience alters how art of any kind is received. We view the world through the lens of personal experience. That is why I wasn't objective in what I wrote, and thus it wasn't a review and didn't get a score. If you asked me to review it, I dare say my critique would be different. 

I was very deliberate in not scoring it, as it wasn't meant to be a review, just my thoughts on the show. But I absolutely agree that personal experience alters how art of any kind is received. We view the world through the lens of personal experience. That is why I wasn't objective in what I wrote, and thus it wasn't a review and didn't get a score. If you asked me to review it, I dare say my critique would be different. 

I used score vaguely as a synonym for how much you didn't mind watching it

I didn't mean the review type of score.

That is fine. Sometimes I just feel a little confrontational and need to get it out of my system. Please do not take it the wrong way. Though I disagree with your assessment, I don't begrudge you your opinions.

No offence taken. As you say, it is just my opinion (and opinions don't always make academic sense). People are more than welcome to have a different one :) It wouldn't change my own personal experience of what I watched after all. 

Others might not be as vocal if you contextualized your feelings compared to other anime a bit. It has a disarming effect. That's why I often toss in a small comparison+contrast to another anime or two in my reviews, so people know what I'm basing my feelings on. I find this works best with mainstream anime, and anime where your opinion seems to differ from the norm on the forum in question. Not that I mind when people just want to gush or hate on something rather than seriously review it.

I used score vaguely as a synonym for how much you didn't mind watching it

I didn't mean the review type of score.

Ah, fair enough :)

So, what are you people watching at the moment? Any above average series? 

sample_7bb63b95606df4d3fc9e7d5ceb467ae7b

well i am still watching sakura trick, and i plan to watch the monogatari series and i plan to watch Owari no Seraph season 2 when it starts

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

So, what are you people watching at the moment? Any above average series?

Rewatching Blood Blockade Battlefront, since the last ep is coming out. My thoughts on the new season are in the last few pages of posts here, so they shouldn't be tough to find :)