Cheese and trash, until it is done - Man trains Rat to play doom using 2000$

williamcll

A man is teaching his rat to play doom, the VR getup used to do this (since a rat does not know how to use a controller or a keyboard) is rather interesting.

Quotes

What started as a side project for [Viktor Tóth] has evolved into quite a complex apparatus. At the center of the rig is an omnidirectional treadmill comprised of a polystyrene ball about the size of a bowling ball. The ball is free to rotate, with sensors detecting rotation in two axes — it’s basically a big electromechanical mouse upside down. The rat rides at the top of the ball, wearing a harness to keep it from slipping off. A large curved monitor sits right in front of the rat to display the virtual environment, which is a custom DOOM map. With the VR rig built, [Viktor] worked on automating the training.

Rat playing DOOM

A treat dispenser provides the proper motivation, while powered drive wheels engage with the ball to nudge the rat if it gets stuck in the virtual world. [Viktor] says he has trained three rats — [Romero], [Carmack], and [Tom] — to walk down a straight hallway using this automated method. As for the meat of the game — shooting monsters — [Viktor] has that covered too, with a sensor that detects when a rat rears up on its hind legs to register a shot.

My thoughts

Honestly this could be expanded to other animals to see how they behave in various environments without subjecting them to it. Also know that there are people RIGHT NOW that play DOOM worse than this rodent.

Sources

https://hackaday.com/2021/12/29/rats-learn-to-play-doom-in-this-automated-vr-arena/

https://medium.com/mindsoft/rats-in-doom-eb6c52c73aca

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Rip and tear, until a rat can too.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I can hear Mick Gordon riffing.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 12/30/2021 at 8:04 AM, williamcll said:

My thoughts

Honestly this could be expanded to other animals to see how they behave in various environments without subjecting them to it.

See here's the thing, many animals don't rely on vision as much as humans do. That rat probably relies on smell more than vision to live in an environment so the illusion probably won't be effective

According to a quick google search, rats are extremely nearsighted, so the rat probably can't even see whats on that screen lol.

Its probably like designing a videogame with no visuals, only audio cues, and expecting people to play well. Except the audio cues are mostly in a really high and really low frequency which you can't hear anyways. I bet that rat is just going on memory

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

it's interesting for sure, I'm just trying to figure out the Why behind this. What knowledge will we learn from training rats to play doom? What applications of that knowledge are there in our modern society? Why Doom? 

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

On 1/1/2022 at 7:12 PM, Shreyas1 said:

See here's the thing, many animals don't rely on vision as much as humans do. That rat probably relies on smell more than vision to live in an environment so the illusion probably won't be effective

According to a quick google search, rats are extremely nearsighted, so the rat probably can't even see whats on that screen lol.

^THIS

Anyone that's had to trap rats know that you place the traps against walls and other objects; they feel more secure running along side something as a guide for navigation. And yes, smell is the deciding factor of which direction to head.

Fun fact: Cheese doesn't make for good bait. Rats love oranges / citrus (they will go crazy for pineapple) and nuts; their high metabolism demands the concentrated energy found in such foods.

That rat doesn't see anything whatsoever on that screen, their vision is almost nonexistent, it's a blurry mess. 

This is dumb.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20