Alexa instructs child on how to fatally injure themselves

rcmaehl
Just now, HQuan said:

If you know nothing then please stop talking to me.

GFCI detect ground fault even there's no ground pin. 

Please explain how it detects current flow to ground if their is no path to ground?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Please explain how it detects current flow to ground if their is no path to ground?

GFCI detect ground fault based on the most basic thing about electronics. 

Let take example the outlet, have active and neutral. Electricity goes out active have to come back the neutral. We all know this. And if 15A go out active, 15A have to go back neutral. No matter resistance or whatever. If 15A go out active and only 14.9A go back neutral, electricity have flow to the unwanted path to somewhere. And the only path is ground and humans body. And GFCI will based on it to trip.

(I call Active because I see you like to call active. It's hot)

Watch TC's video for more: (no, he also explain how it work 3x better than me)

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

but the active and neutral are (as described in the OP) then a GFCI will do nothing.   At best a coin will melt and drop to the earth causing the GFCI to pop, however that would be after enough current and or heat has passed from the coin to the child. 

MCB's are not safety devices and AFCI's do not detect ground leakage (as far as I am aware), they should trip if you short out the pins as that would be a strong arc, however they also trip with nearby lightning, some Radio interference in the Mhz range and laser printers.  I believe they are only really in houses that were built in the last decade or so in the US,  In places like Aus. they are very uncommon.

MCB is not safety device, AFCI will trip if have large arc or high freq around like radio.

I want to die right now.

2 minutes ago, HQuan said:

GFCI detect ground fault based on the most basic thing about electronics. 

Let take example the outlet, have active and neutral. Electricity goes out active have to come back the neutral. We all know this. And if 15A go out active, 15A have to go back neutral. No matter resistance or whatever. If 15A go out active and only 14.9A go back neutral, electricity have flow to the unwanted path to somewhere. And the only path is ground and humans body. And GFCI will based on it to trip.

(I call Active because I see you like to call active. It's hot)

Watch TC's video for more: (no, he also explain how it work 3x better than me)

That still doesn't explain where the current goes if their is no path to ground.    When there is no path to ground and all the current goes back into the neutral the GFCI will do nothing.     If you grab the hot and the neutral and don't have a path to ground (no ground pin and you're not standing on an old lead bath in salt water) then the GFCI will happily allow the full current (limited only by the CB/fuse) to pass through you and wreck your afternoon.

Also I call it the active because that is the official standard I have to operate under in Australia.    I'm not sure the standards are in the US, but if I call it the hot line or don't double insulate it with the right connector (even though a double screw would work just as well) my arse is grass.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, HQuan said:

MCB is not safety device, AFCI will trip if have large arc or high freq around like radio.

I want to die right now.

I imagine both an AFCI and MCB would trip from dropping a penny onto the hot and neutral. But not quick enough to save a life if it was human contact between the two.

I really don't know much about the AFCI's because they aren't common here and I was trained well before they were even scratchings on a chalk board.

Just now, mr moose said:

I imagine both an AFCI and MCB would trip from dropping a penny onto the hot and neutral. But not quick enough to save a life if it was human contact between the two.

I really don't know much about the AFCI's because they aren't common here and I was trained well before they were even scratchings on a chalk board.

Yep I too, AFCI are listed ultra rare in Vietnam my country, I learn a bit when go on a vacation at Canada.

Human touching both hot and neutral have chance of not die if human are grounded, some current go to ground though human can trip the breaker. This is the reason so many people argue between wear shoe or not wear shoe when do electronics thing.

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

That still doesn't explain where the current goes if their is no path to ground.    When there is no path to ground and all the current goes back into the neutral the GFCI will do nothing.     If you grab the hot and the neutral and don't have a path to ground (no ground pin and you're not standing on an old lead bath in salt water) then the GFCI will happily allow the full current (limited only by the CB/fuse) to pass through you and wreck your afternoon.

Also I call it the active because that is the official standard I have to operate under in Australia.    I'm not sure the standards are in the US, but if I call it the hot line or don't double insulate it with the right connector (even though a double screw would work just as well) my arse is grass.   

The path to ground is human. RCB (same function with GFCI) are law here in Vietnam also. Yep youre true that when there's no path to ground, the GFCI will not trip and kill the human. But never forget that human have capacity to ground even insulated how much.

2 minutes ago, HQuan said:

@mr moose, I'm not hating you, don't misunderstand me. I want to give knowledge to more people.

It's cool, we're good. Been at it for 30 odd years now,  got my first set of certificates in 93.   Admittedly I only worked as a sparky on and off for a few years then I moved onto other careers but kept the electrical engineering as an active hobby.

RCD's here in Oz typically trip with a 30mA discrepancy,  In order to calculate the maximum resistance required for that to find a path to ground (assuming fully clothed and standing on tiles/carpet) would take more effort tonight than I wish to put in.  Especially given skin resistance can change depending on weather, sweat, hydration etc.    

On 12/29/2021 at 2:05 AM, Sauron said:

bad plug:

Reveal hidden contents

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.X-lZ6S_KJsM7f00nhCvQVAHaHa%26pid%3DApi&f=1

good plug:

Reveal hidden contents

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1welWogaTBuNjSszfq6xgfpXaL/2Pcs-German-Type-European-2-Pin-Plugs-Network-Cables-2-5A-220V-Electric-Contact-European-Plug.jpg

Plug design aside, maybe Alexa should have a list of approved sources rather than just google the query...

IMAGINE NOT HAVING GROUNDING
3-pin-uk-type-plugs-500x500.jpg

I give you the superior plug

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Vaguely similar to Google's search results...

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

28 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Sorry to break this to you but a lot of British plugs aren't grounded either.

(And I say that as a Brit who feels our plugs are one of the few things the UK can be proud of as a nation)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

The AI is tired of this kids shit.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

40 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Imagine taking up the entire outlet with a single plug, smh

https://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00qBdEhLTlZSoV/Italian-Plug.jpg

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 12/28/2021 at 10:56 PM, SlidewaysZ said:

If it's pulling stuff from the internet it's not going to end well. I mean c'mon how many examples do we need where teaching AI from the internet is a bad idea. 

https://techcrunch.com/2016/03/24/microsoft-silences-its-new-a-i-bot-tay-after-twitter-users-teach-it-racism/

I was genuinely surprised when I read this. I thought they might be pulling out challenges from 4chan or something. 

The lengths people go for 'data', while forgetting most of it is absolutely crap.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Imagine taking up the entire outlet with a single plug, smh

https://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00qBdEhLTlZSoV/Italian-Plug.jpg

There are logical reasons why the uk plug was designed as it is.

1. copper was expensive/in short supply post world war 2, our houses are built with ring mains as a result of that (and have been ever since) and to facilitate that the plug needs physical space for a fuse
  2. the designers didn’t want people to be able to plug things in the wrong way up.
  3. The ground pin is longer as it’s used as an actuator to lift the safety tabs covering the live and neutral terminals in the socket. 
  4. if you look at a correctly wired uk plug, the brown live wire goes pretty much directly to the terminal, while the blue wire takes what you might think is an unnecessarily long route (usually called a loop, no idea why), this is deliberate, if someone trips or tugs at the wire with enough force to pull the wires from the terminals, then the live wire will be the first to disconnect, meaning the circuit breaks safely.

I expect there are improvements that could have been made to the design, especially with more modern manufacturing tolerances (accidentally treading on an upturned plug hurts more than stepping on Lego), but the physical size is really not any kind of disadvantage IMO.

43 minutes ago, Paul Thexton said:

the designers didn’t want people to be able to plug things in the wrong way up.

There is no wrong way to plug in the one I posted. It's alternate current, either side up is fine.

44 minutes ago, Paul Thexton said:

The ground pin is longer as it’s used as an actuator to lift the safety tabs covering the live and neutral terminals in the socket. 

Cool but unnecessary.

48 minutes ago, Paul Thexton said:

if you look at a correctly wired uk plug, the brown live wire goes pretty much directly to the terminal, while the blue wire takes what you might think is an unnecessarily long route (usually called a loop, no idea why), this is deliberate, if someone trips or tugs at the wire with enough force to pull the wires from the terminals, then the live wire will be the first to disconnect, meaning the circuit breaks safely.

Seems like a consequence of the bulky design, smaller plugs are jerked right out if you trip on the wire.

49 minutes ago, Paul Thexton said:

the physical size is really not any kind of disadvantage IMO.

Yeah it is, it makes power strips bulky and wire management clumsy for no reason.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Cool but unnecessary.

Given the subject matter at hand (kids being kids), it’s really not. There’s no need for outlet blanking plates, they’re built in to the socket already. 

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

There is no wrong way to plug in the one I posted. It's alternate current, either side up is fine.

AC here too.  As I said, designers didn’t want it to go wrong way round, I should have suffixed that with “I don’t know why”. I’m presuming it works in conjunction with the way the fuse/outlet switch of the uk wiring regulations work, maybe somebody else can elaborate further. 

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Seems like a consequence of the bulky design, smaller plugs are jerked right out if you trip on the wire.

Which might seem desirable until the moment you trip over the equipment or otherwise accidentally lightly tug at a wire for equipment helping someone who is receiving palliative / end of life care at home. There’s probably other reasons why easily yanking a cable out wouldn’t be a good idea, can’t be bothered to think of any though.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Yeah it is, it makes power strips bulky and wire management clumsy for no reason.

That one’s entirely subjective, I don’t find it difficult or cumbersome to do cable management 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyway, I think we can all agree that North American plugs & outlets aren’t designed as well as they should be. 

I'm not half as mad at alexa finding things that exist on the internet (doing what it's intended to do) as I am at society for creating challenges intended to kill people. It's all bad, but the real issue here is that getting electrocuted is even a challenge. There was a story last week where a 10 year old girl died from a challenge to see if you can hold your breath until you faint. As a parent, crap like that makes my blood boil over. It's not often I'm so disgusted at humanity and hopeless for it's future, but everytime I hear about one of these challenges, I feel a strong urge to forcibly remove the stupidity out of humanity however possible...

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

7 hours ago, williamcll said:

1) The UK plug isn't really superior. You could argue that it has some benefits over Schuko but it also has some drawbacks, such as not being reversible.

2) There can be (and usually is) ground on the schuko plugs.

I think any sane person will agree that the US plug is objectively and significantly worse than both the UK and EU plug though. It's just straight up garbage.

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

2) There can be (and usually is) ground on the schuko plugs.

And, once again, there is sometimes no ground on UK plugs. The pin still has to be there, but it's often just made of plastic and thus not conductive - all it does is operate the protective shutters covering the contacts.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

15 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

And, once again, there is sometimes no ground on UK plugs. The pin still has to be there, but it's often just made of plastic and thus not conductive - all it does is operate the protective shutters covering the contacts.

And it helps prevent something falling onto the active and neutral pins (like a coin) in the unlikely event they are uncovered and live.   That is why the UK plug is upside down (compared to aus. plugs).  It looks funny to me but clearly very practical and a superior design. 

31 minutes ago, mr moose said:

And it helps prevent something falling onto the active and neutral pins (like a coin) in the unlikely event they are uncovered and live.   That is why the UK plug is upside down (compared to aus. plugs).  It looks funny to me but clearly very practical and a superior design. 

UK plug are consider the best household plug in the world. But with circuit breaker, plug design is nothing!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 10:30 AM, poochyena said:

Guess we'll wait and see if it gets removed then.

Thats because they are unaware of it until that happens. Were you aware of this before today? I wasn't.

Still there.

image.thumb.png.1053d48ed76f9d46c84070f51bff935f.png

image.thumb.png.b2405b8472be693f2b4de526233fda92.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?