More FPS for just $10

JonoT

Im wondering how something like this would affect coil whine on a waterblocked gpu. Either by reducing the vibrations or making an airtight seal around the chokes.

if k5_pro != 10

LTT = lying

else 

LTT = truthful

oh no...

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ddeff00e0000770c284e3e9d591d1dd8.png

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Would be cool (or not I guess...) to see if this stuff holds up on the longer term. It is a bit more difficult to do but for the GPU I see it being possible if you simply remove the SSD with windows used to run these tests and reuse it in a few months. That way you don't have to deal with software updates causing any issues

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

1 minute ago, adarw said:

oh no...

https://www.newegg.com/p/2MB-0028-00004

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Looks like good quality mayo in the OP video thumbnail. I hope i wont get disappointed! Muck lime I see in the preview!!

I edit my posts more often than not

I already own two containers of TG-PP10 thermal putty... Isn't K5 Pro essentially the same product?  At which point is comes down to thermal conductivity.  

Edit:  TG-PP10 thermal putty has almost twice the thermal conductivity of K5 Pro... Go with TG-PP10

Edit: A quick google search brings up a Reddit post on K5 Pro issues, are these issues valid and have they been rectified?

Edited by Wireless G-Spot

This is especially useful for graphic cards with their bullshit arbitrary thermal pads thicknesses. I can't understand why they have to use different thickness of pads when they are milling the frigging coolers anyway with CNC machines and can get whatever distance from any component required. Make a frigging standard and stick to it industry wide. Imagine world where ALL graphic cards use 1mm thick thermal pads for ALL components under the heatsink. You just buy bunch of 1mm pads and that's it. Not trying to get a PhD in math to measure and figure everything out.

One of reasons why I have no plans to take apart my RTX 3080 any time soon even though I'd like to put Cryonaut on it. Pads will tear for sure like on all RTX 3000 cards and no one knows what thicknesses I need.

I did stick bunch of generic AliExpress thermal pads on my ACER Swift 1 laptop, making SSD controller contact with aluminium bottom of the laptop chassis and same for internal passive CPU cooler. It' slightly warmer on the bottom, but I think the CPU just keeps on boosting a lot higher than it did. And SSD is also a lot cooler now. Where I needed extra thickness I just stacked the 1mm pads. Not ideal, but it works well. Probably wouldn't do it for RTX 3080 power draw...

1 hour ago, Wireless G-Spot said:

I already own two containers of TG-PP10 thermal putty... Isn't K5 Pro essentially the same product?  At which point is comes down to thermal conductivity.  

Edit:  TG-PP10 thermal putty has almost twice the thermal conductivity of K5 Pro... Go with TG-PP10

Edit: A quick google search brings up a Reddit post on K5 Pro issues, are these issues valid and have they been rectified?

I'd question this.

The TG-PP10 has basically the same thermal operating range, and if it boiled within that range, it'd be really stupid to use it as a thermal compound.

24 minutes ago, tkitch said:

I'd question this.

The TG-PP10 has basically the same thermal operating range, and if it boiled within that range, it'd be really stupid to use it as a thermal compound.

Thermal operating range had nothing to do with the conversation, and your only proof that K5 Pro doesn't boil is that TG-PP10 doesn't boil..  WHAT!?

Again for anyone reading this, just purchase TG-PP10, it's been around longer and has almost twice the thermal conductivity.  K5 Pro is the unproven new kid on the block with 5.3W/m.K compared to TG-PP10's 10W/m.K.  There is no discussion here, one is better than the other and LTT chose to do a sponsored video on the worse product.

so what is stopping us from moving heat spreaders? like a own for the GPU and one for the card, just fill it all with goop and press them like a water card.

making the GPU chip the only thing having a heat spreader outside of the cheese sandwich. if that works. like the CPU coolers on GPU videos to make a sandwich. but yeah, long term not would use.

i have my doubts..

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

5 minutes ago, James Evens said:

No doubt anything they do has beneficial effects. Even if they tell it is trash a small company still gains access to a lot of eyeballs and benefits from this.

There are two options:

1. The company either just sends there products or writes a message and they picked it up.

2. They run into this product category, found it interesting and made a video about. In the process they might just asked for samples and didn't know about the alternatives (or it doesn't matter for the narrative).

Or they found it and just bought some, cuz it's dirt cheap, and they're not worried about 50$ in materials for a video. 

4 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

more FPS? just paint it red.

Add more RGB.

Use the TG-PP10 along with copper shims and thermal paste. Use the TG-PP10 to stick the shims to the memory IC's, then use regular thermal paste to interface the shim to the cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XW9FBDN/

This kit should have enough different thicknesses to get the right size between the memory and cooler with the smallest gap possible, once you know the size you need you can order more shims in just that size. Shim size is NOT the same as thermal pad size, pads compress. Compressed pad thickness would be close to the shim size needed, shims are really only needed if you've got VERY thick pads (more than 1.5mm). If you have thin pads just use good pads.

Or subscribe to some Cloud Gaming service.

It's what I did.

Got Xbox Cloud, played Halo 5 and Halo Infinite for only $1 (trial month) during my month long winter vacation in between cegep semesters. Little to no noticeable lag for me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

So I've just done this (Kryonaut and K5 Pro) on my 980ti, which is 6 years old. I used the Time Spy stress test to bench.

Card is a "ZOTAC GTX 980 Ti AMP! Edition", with a base speed of 1051 MHz and a mild +100 MHz OC boost of 1240 MHz.

CPU is a 3700X.

Pre Application:

Frame-Rate Range (1%) - 26.43 - 35.32

Average Runs (Min-Max) - 30.75 - 33.74

Lowest GPU Frequency: 1063 MHz

Highest GPU temperature: 83.38°C

Consistency: 91.1% (Time Spy Fail)

Post Application:

Frame-Rate Range (1%) - 29.47 - 37.4 (+11.5%)

Average Runs (Min-Max) - 34.42 - 34.72 (+12%)

Lowest GPU Frequency: 1227 MHz (+15.4%)

Highest GPU temperature: 74.44°C

Consistency: 98.9% (Time Spy Pass) (+8.5% (Rel), +7.8% (Abs))

Most impressive (to me) is the massive increase in consistency (hitting max boost near continuously) throughout the stress test, and the bonus being a moderate boost to all performance statistics. When I took the cooler off for the first time the paste came off with the board, I barely needed to clean the GPU with alcohol, I think it might have been a bit dry. 😮 I went a bit mad with the K5 but you can't have too much right?

IMG_20220108_234226 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20220109_003009 (Medium).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Why didn’t they show us any thermal results?  I just applied k5 pro to my 3080 instead of pads and the temps of my vram increased 10c. I even went back and added more k5 in case I didn’t do it right the first time, but still my vram temps were up 10c. 

My guess is that one of two things happened in this video. 1: the k5 isolated the laptop components from the cooler, allowing the cooler to focus more of its cooling on the gpu/cpu which led to increased fps. 2: the original pads on the laptop sucked or weren’t making proper contact. 

I removed what I could of the k5 pro from my 3080 and repadded with Gelid’s gp-extreme pads and saw my vram temps go down 6c from stock. 

Don’t use k5.

A14896D5-F542-4C67-81BF-BF3A4B238891.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 5:37 PM, Federson said:

Why didn’t they show us any thermal results?  I just applied k5 pro to my 3080 instead of pads and the temps of my vram increased 10c. I even went back and added more k5 in case I didn’t do it right the first time, but still my vram temps were up 10c. 

My guess is that one of two things happened in this video. 1: the k5 isolated the laptop components from the cooler, allowing the cooler to focus more of its cooling on the gpu/cpu which led to increased fps. 2: the original pads on the laptop sucked or weren’t making proper contact. 

I removed what I could of the k5 pro from my 3080 and repadded with Gelid’s gp-extreme pads and saw my vram temps go down 6c from stock. 

Don’t use k5.

A14896D5-F542-4C67-81BF-BF3A4B238891.jpeg

You didn't get good results because you didn't apply enough. How hard is it to understand? They have already replied to you on reddit here :

https://www.reddit.com/r/MSILaptops/comments/rlus4i/is_it_still_recommended_to_use_k5_pro_thermal/ht0bbj6/

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 4:50 AM, TaitOgr said:

You didn't get good results because you didn't apply enough. How hard is it to understand? They have already replied to you on reddit here :

https://www.reddit.com/r/MSILaptops/comments/rlus4i/is_it_still_recommended_to_use_k5_pro_thermal/ht0bbj6/

Trust me, I used more than enough. I even opened it and added even more because I wanted to make sure I wasn’t getting bad results from a lack of quantity. I’m well aware that it’s impossible to use too much thermal paste, and k5 should follow the same rule, so I applied it very liberally. I used more than half of the 110g container. The stuff just isn’t that good. It’s not terrible, but it’s not better than high quality pads. 

Also, you say “they replied” to me on Reddit, but it’s pretty clear “they” is you. All of your posts on Reddit and here are the same “I’ve been using k5 pro for 5 years, it’s the best!”  Don’t pretend to not work for them