Second CPU not fully recognised by Windows 10

Itagane
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
28 minutes ago, Itagane said:

I was considering Linux as well but thought maybe this can be fixed on Windows as well. I found this Microsoft page about workstations that contains a table listing the CPU limits for the different versions:
image.png.3a6a4e9849140db95626e0b9d700c2df.png

Here it looks like Windows 10 Home and Pro are no different in terms of CPU limits, so I'm wondering why so many people say it's a Pro-only feature. Do you have any source for the opposite case?

EDIT: I'm not willing to upgrade to Pro only because of this issue, I'd rather make the effort to transition to Linux then

I think it's more of a it can work on a system with 2 cpu's BUT it will NOT use the second cpu thingy here that microsoft did. That or just a typo.

Either way home has never support dual cpu usage. But it DOES support dual cpu systems. Just as I said it can't use the second one.

Going to pro is as simple as insert a windows 10 pro key and you are automatically on pro with a quick restart.

Since my latest Windows reinstall several months ago, my system won't recognise/use my 2nd CPU anymore. It still shows up in the BIOS, so the mount should be fine and weirdly enough, device manager and task manager in Windows disagree on how many logical processors there are (see screenshots). I found some conflicting information online about whether Windows 10 Home supports dual CPU setups but it certainly worked before my last reinstall. Any ideas on how to get my 2nd CPU back into usage without just reinstalling Windows again?

Specs:
Windows 10 Home (19044) 64 bit
Asus Z9PE-D8 WS (BIOS version 5802, latest)
2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 0
32GB FBD2 RAM
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
Crucial MX500 500GB SSD boot drive

Relevant BIOS screenshots:
image.thumb.png.525b6c7c6cccdaf46082b77c0e81f18c.png
image.thumb.png.1a38b14aca6518dbc275e3b7070034f1.png

Tas
k manager vs device manager:
image.png.73f251bd5564113af9829025250ee948.png

PS: Playing Laszlo's Supernova on repeat was soothing but did not resolve the issue

Windows 10 Home does not recognize 2 cpu. you need Windows Pro. Not sure if you are into linux, but I have run linux servers with 2 cpus.

8 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

Windows 10 Home does not recognize 2 cpu. you need Windows Pro. Not sure if you are into linux, but I have run linux servers with 2 cpus.

Yup, there is some conflicting information out there on an old Microsoft post that says 2 CPUs but it's likely a typo for Home. Everywhere else shows people saying 1 for the most part for the Home edition.

Edit:

Also, to answer your statement OP about reinstall, you do NOT have to reinstall to go from Home to Pro.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I was considering Linux as well but thought maybe this can be fixed on Windows as well. I found this Microsoft page about workstations that contains a table listing the CPU limits for the different versions:

Here it looks like Windows 10 Home and Pro are no different in terms of CPU limits, so I'm wondering why so many people say it's a Pro-only feature. Do you have any source for the opposite case?

EDIT: I'm not willing to upgrade to Pro only because of this issue, I'd rather make the effort to transition to Linux then

28 minutes ago, Itagane said:

I think it's more of a it can work on a system with 2 cpu's BUT it will NOT use the second cpu thingy here that microsoft did. That or just a typo.

Either way home has never support dual cpu usage. But it DOES support dual cpu systems. Just as I said it can't use the second one.

Going to pro is as simple as insert a windows 10 pro key and you are automatically on pro with a quick restart.