Kioxia's PCIe 5.0 SSD Hits 14,000 MBps

Alder Lake
6 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Selling Samsung 850 Pro 2TB now would be total waste of money as I'd get peanuts for it yet it's probably better than most crappy cheap NVMe drives sold today and comes in still very respectable 2TB capacity. 

And your ssd will probably outlive the new ones. I know my 8yo Kingston ssd still kicking ass, with smart reporting it's nowhere near the endurance limits 20-30%), while my new nvme drive is at 4% in 8 months

Well yeah, there are different but it seems like unifying is a thing. We said the same for ram and VRAM, but Apple runs unified memory, phones offer extended ram etc. I .ran, there are different memory tips, as well as different processors, so we can't compare them 1-1, but they usually follow one another

2 hours ago, PeachGr said:

Well yeah, there are different but it seems like unifying is a thing. We said the same for ram and VRAM, but Apple runs unified memory, phones offer extended ram etc. I .ran, there are different memory tips, as well as different processors, so we can't compare them 1-1, but they usually follow one another

DDR ram and VRAM in the form of GDDR is essentially the same thing. Unified makes sense especially in integrated GPU systems, and doesn't make any sense for dGPUs if you care at all about performance. HBM would be different though, it trades bandwidth somewhat with latency, so not quite as direct a replacement for DDR.

On phones, perhaps I'm out of date, what does extended ram mean? I've only seen where storage can be expanded by an SD card for example, but neither of those would class as ram. 

14 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

i would love to see latency wars please, instead of bandwidth, thanks.

Why not both? 😄

In that area I think the first thing that needs to change is the storage medium. Flash doesn't cut it. Optane is far superior for example. Even in consumer class products and systems I was seeing over 3x better latency compared to high end flash SSD, over 5x compared to a more average one. Once the medium has been improved, then the protocol is next to be looked at. NVMe was never designed for ram-like performance, but I don't know what is there to replace it. Maybe some CXL implementation? I haven't looked at that in detail.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

40 minutes ago, porina said:

DDR ram and VRAM in the form of GDDR is essentially the same thing. Unified makes sense especially in integrated GPU systems, and doesn't make any sense for dGPUs if you care at all about performance. HBM would be different though, it trades bandwidth somewhat with latency, so not quite as direct a replacement for DDR.

On phones, perhaps I'm out of date, what does extended ram mean? I've only seen where storage can be expanded by an SD card for example, but neither of those would class as ram. 

Why not both? 😄

In that area I think the first thing that needs to change is the storage medium. Flash doesn't cut it. Optane is far superior for example. Even in consumer class products and systems I was seeing over 3x better latency compared to high end flash SSD, over 5x compared to a more average one. Once the medium has been improved, then the protocol is next to be looked at. NVMe was never designed for ram-like performance, but I don't know what is there to replace it. Maybe some CXL implementation? I haven't looked at that in detail.

CXL was made to be able to have ram, so one would hope its fast enough, hopefully with cxl coming to the server market next year, optane gets a second wind, and finally sees better prices with better economies of scale.

49 minutes ago, porina said:

Why not both? 😄

Technically improving latency does both, block size for block size.

49 minutes ago, porina said:

In that area I think the first thing that needs to change is the storage medium. Flash doesn't cut it.

Depends, there's a ton of latency improvements that can be made with NAND and Flash, as well as current massive differences in the market now based on workload and market segment target for the product. You can have one SSD doing low to sub ms and another with higher latency than even an HDD on identical workloads. It's just really expensive to latency optimize an SSD if that's what you need to care about.

Like most things, pay for what you get. There's a reason $100, $200, $500 and $1000+ 1TB SSD exist and they are only equal in capacity.

15 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

The two big obstacles to this use are latency, and endurance. 

RAM chips can be written virtually an indefinite amount of times without fail. NAND has a definitive endurance limit. 

The two technologies are also written and read in different ways. Nand is written in blocks, and when overwritten, must be done as a block, while RAM can allow for direct access and modification to a given value. 

Raw bandwidth is only a part (albeit, not an insignificant one) of the story.

For specific applications, it may be possible to treat portions of storage as an extension of read-only RAM, similar to cartridge games, which can greatly cut overall RAM usage. So long as you’re not writing to the area like RAM, you sidestep most of the downsides of NAND storage. 

22 hours ago, Alder Lake said:

Read latency has dropped from 90us to 70us and write latency from 20us to 10us.

well, latency is getting better

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

21 hours ago, Lurick said:

Do I need PCIe 5.0 for Microsoft word?!?!?!?!?!

yes because the load times has gotten more worse per generation.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just now, williamcll said:

isn't that pretty normal for any program (newer version = more features = more data = longer load time)

22 hours ago, PeachGr said:

I see nvme drives to replace ram in the future on office desktops, or work as ram extensions, same way they do on the recent phones

Always have been working like that. Phone manufacturers only recently found out that they can say they have more RAM than they do. Question is if you will choose to have less ram and not worry of using it all. IMO not - RAM gets faster too (DDR5 is new faster standard after all), so likely there will be a speed difference. And if you can afford PCIe5 SSD, why not have more ram anyways?

32 minutes ago, williamcll said:

The problem isn't fetching the data (program) from storage. The delay is in processing it once loaded into RAM. Don't blame the HW, blame Microsoft.

22 hours ago, PeachGr said:

I see nvme drives to replace ram in the future on office desktops, or work as ram extensions, same way they do on the recent phones

there is one thing, what if RAM replaces nvme drives instead?

at the end of this generation (DDR5), DIMMs will have as much as 128GB (I think), so with 4 slots, you can have half a terabyte of RAM in your system, and next GEN that might double (or more) again

it's almost like a battle of, "will RAM have enough storage to act as a storage, or will NVME drives have enough speed to act as RAM?"

So the basic TLDR in the SATA vs. NVME already was "you won't spot a difference". Then there was PCIe 4 and it started all over again with the same conclusion. I wonder how PCIe 5 drives will end up 🤔 Don't kid yourself, it will still feel the same as SATA SSDs unless you're in a very niche user base that actually needs fast sequential drives.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Technically improving latency does both, block size for block size.

You could say the same for transfer rate too. If access latency remains constant, a faster transfer rate would mean the transfer part completes sooner.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Depends, there's a ton of latency improvements that can be made with NAND and Flash

For sure there is a variation in how it is implemented and performs, but fundamentally it is limited by what it is. To go really beyond that means looking at something different.

1 hour ago, Alder Lake said:

it's almost like a battle of, "will RAM have enough storage to act as a storage, or will NVME drives have enough speed to act as RAM?"

One big problem is that ram is volatile. You will have to either guarantee power is always available, or still have some other storage anyway. And that's ignoring the cost will always be more than flash. If you want something that has qualities of both flash and ram, that remains Optane. As a generalisation, per capacity it is closer to ram than flash. Performance is also in between the two, but really excels over flash when it comes to access latency and consequently random access. It doesn't use large pages like flash so can be used ram-like for general applications. Endurance might remain a concern. It is much higher than flash, but still not practically unlimited like for ram.

In limited cases where those considerations can be controlled, you could make it work. For general uses, we're probably not moving away from the current model for a long time yet.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Ram sticks to change maybe, but as ram, by definition you can't store anything. They are all deleted after shutting down the PC

Just now, PeachGr said:

Ram sticks to change maybe, but as ram, by definition you can't store anything. They are all deleted after shutting down the PC

I mean, that could be changed, but I agree that at the current state, RAM has absolutely no chance to replace storage for extremely obvious reasons like that

1 hour ago, Ydfhlx said:

Always have been working like that. Phone manufacturers only recently found out that they can say they have more RAM than they do. Question is if you will choose to have less ram and not worry of using it all. IMO not - RAM gets faster too (DDR5 is new faster standard after all), so likely there will be a speed difference. And if you can afford PCIe5 SSD, why not have more ram anyways?

I have found my self choosing between those two in rendering solutions. If you want your assets to load faster, you use ram, if you don't have enough ram, you let them load from disk. So I said office use, because for gaming is always "more faster, more better"

3 hours ago, porina said:

n phones, perhaps I'm out of date, what does extended ram mean?

As you said, they are on a short of integrated GPU, and it came recently on some android phones, like Samsung and Xiaomi ones

17 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

And your ssd will probably outlive the new ones. I know my 8yo Kingston ssd still kicking ass, with smart reporting it's nowhere near the endurance limits 20-30%), while my new nvme drive is at 4% in 8 months

That could change with a CrystalDiskInfo update, though (assuming you use it). For a long time my 840 EVO was sitting at 100% health, then a CDI update came along and knocked it down to 79%.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

6 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

watch DDR6 have a solution for this, something like "semi-random-access-memory" SRAM (unless that's already taken), where it would have 128gb per stick, and would be somewhere between the speeds of RAM and NVME, and stay even after a complete shutdown, that way things are still snappy on startup

6 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

That could change with a CrystalDiskInfo update, though (assuming you use it). For a long time my 840 EVO was sitting at 100% health, then a CDI update came along and knocked it down to 79%.

Mine have been below 100% for a long while, so I hope that won't be the case.

5 minutes ago, Alder Lake said:

watch DDR6 have a solution for this, something like "semi-random-access-memory" SRAM (unless that's already taken), where it would have 128gb per stick, and would be somewhere between the speeds of RAM and NVME, and stay even after a complete shutdown, that way things are still snappy on startup

SRAM is taken: Static RAM. However it is still volatile. It differs from DRAM in that it doesn't need to be constantly refreshed in use. It is higher performance, at higher cost. I think it is used in things like the higher performance CPU caches.

DRAM is DRAM so that part of it isn't going to change. It will take a fundamentally different technology to get around it.

5 minutes ago, porina said:

SRAM is taken: Static RAM. However it is still volatile. It differs from DRAM in that it doesn't need to be constantly refreshed in use. It is higher performance, at higher cost. I think it is used in things like the higher performance CPU caches.

DRAM is DRAM so that part of it isn't going to change. It will take a fundamentally different technology to get around it.

thought it would be

like I said, we'll just have to see what happens in the end

2 hours ago, Alder Lake said:

well, latency is getting better

Keep in mind, RAM is measured on the nanoseconds scale, and often single-digit numbers at that. There’s a 1000x difference from 10 ns to 10 μs

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Keep in mind, RAM is measured on the nanoseconds scale, and often single-digit numbers at that. There’s a 1000x difference from 10 ns to 10 μs

yeah, but the point was how it's getting better

I don't see either of them replacing each other for another 30 years, maybe longer, but it's not inconceivable that one will be replaced at some point