No LAN when I overclock my CPU, even by the tiniest increments.

chawndi

I have a i7 5930K currently sat at base clock of 3.50ghz, 16GB of GSKill 3200Mhz DDR4 ram, and an MSI X99A Titanium motherboard LGA 2011.

Whenever I attempt to overclock the cpu everything works fine besides my onboard LAN disappears and I can't find any networks even though I'm on ethernet.

Have tried numerous things but it does not seem to work at all so far, not sure if my motherboard drivers are up to date as i'll have to double check later but so far I don't know what I can do to fix it. 

NOTE: Overclocked in BIOS.

Thanks.

How are you overclocking it?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

How are you overclocking it?

Through the BIOS.

That's not at all what I meant, I was asking using what settings. If you try to change BCLK it can break all sorts of things. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

15 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

That's not at all what I meant, I was asking using what settings. If you try to change BCLK it can break all sorts of things. 

Didn't touch the bclk at all.

Prob just an f ed lan or something, lan cards arent really that expensive so you can just buy some cheap 10$ lan card and plug that into your pc, that should make up for the dud mobo lan

thats a 22nm cpu, 22nm is quite similar to 14nm in terms of voltage tolerances so you can just use intel spec 14nm max voltage which is 1.52v as a max voltage, deathzone is ~1.9v so if you accidentally set 1.7 or something it isnt really the end of the world, unless it starts overheating, so volts arent much of a concern

But you gotta pay attention to temps to make sure the cpu isnt cooking itself to death i suggest keeping it under 85c but if you are going 1.5v+ then maybe lower that to under 80c and pref 75c, deathzone for temps wise is ~115-120c+ so if you reach 100c then also not the end of the world, heck ive even run my pentiums at 1.75v over 100c just because i can, but thats a sacrificial pentium and thats on lga 775 where the cpus are bulletproof and will take 1.7v as a max safe volt even on 45nm xD  also usually ~85c+ is where high oc becomes unstable so yea there is no incentive on running the cpu hotter

by deathzone i mean very very unsafe temps/volts, so you can run them without the cpu dying, ran a sacrificial pentium at 45nm deathzone voltages (~2.03v) and still alive, but if i were to go to 2.1v thats pretty much insta deathzone, set that voltage and cpu insta die, even saw a youtuber run a 10900k on a crap cooler at 118c max and it didnt die, but again abit above deathzone is guaranteed insta death

just a lil general info that i thought might help you in your overclocking and help you avoid panic attacks, def had some panic attacks and temp concerns when i was beginning on overclocking 775 xD

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Prob just an f ed lan or something, lan cards arent really that expensive so you can just buy some cheap 10$ lan card and plug that into your pc, that should make up for the dud mobo lan

thats a 22nm cpu, 22nm is quite similar to 14nm in terms of voltage tolerances so you can just use intel spec 14nm max voltage which is 1.52v as a max voltage, deathzone is ~1.9v so if you accidentally set 1.7 or something it isnt really the end of the world, unless it starts overheating, so volts arent much of a concern

But you gotta pay attention to temps to make sure the cpu isnt cooking itself to death i suggest keeping it under 85c but if you are going 1.5v+ then maybe lower that to under 80c and pref 75c, deathzone for temps wise is ~115-120c+ so if you reach 100c then also not the end of the world, heck ive even run my pentiums at 1.75v over 100c just because i can, but thats a sacrificial pentium and thats on lga 775 where the cpus are bulletproof and will take 1.7v as a max safe volt even on 45nm xD  also usually ~85c+ is where high oc becomes unstable so yea there is no incentive on running the cpu hotter

by deathzone i mean very very unsafe temps/volts, so you can run them without the cpu dying, ran a sacrificial pentium at 45nm deathzone voltages (~2.03v) and still alive, but if i were to go to 2.1v thats pretty much insta deathzone, set that voltage and cpu insta die, even saw a youtuber run a 10900k on a crap cooler at 118c max and it didnt die, but again abit above deathzone is guaranteed insta death

just a lil general info that i thought might help you in your overclocking and help you avoid panic attacks, def had some panic attacks and temp concerns when i was beginning on overclocking 775 xD

I've been told 4.5 @ 1.34v is a good amount for an oc on a 5930K and haven't tried it right yet as this is happening with my onboard LAN. I don't know if it's taking power from the LAN when I overclock at all or just needs a driver update maybe.

5 minutes ago, chawndi said:

I've been told 4.5 @ 1.34v is a good amount for an oc on a 5930K and haven't tried it right yet as this is happening with my onboard LAN. I don't know if it's taking power from the LAN when I overclock at all or just needs a driver update maybe.

Oh yea forgot to mention, at a certain freq cpu will have diminishing returns

Usually its ~1.3v for most cpus, above 1.3v and you are not gaining much freq, i run my e8400 1.34v 4.3ghz so yours is def different

Though after ~200-400mhz of the initial diminishing returns it gets a lil better though you will still need alot of cooling

Also my rule of thumb is take a deathzone voltage and -0.3v which results in a max "safe" voltage, for my 45nm cpus that is 1.75v, for your cpu its 1.6v, although if intel spec reccomends 1.52v stick to that unless you are like me and comfortable with high volts and prob high temps too

Tbh your lan is prob oofed, just buy a cheap lan card

Oh yea forgot to mention, at a certain freq cpu will have diminishing returns

Usually its ~1.3v for most cpus, above 1.3v and you are not gaining much freq, i run my e8400 1.34v 4.3ghz so yours is def different

Though after ~200-400mhz of the initial diminishing returns it gets a lil better though you will still need alot of cooling

Also my rule of thumb is take a deathzone voltage and -0.3v which results in a max "safe" voltage, for my 45nm cpus that is 1.75v, for your cpu its 1.6v, although if intel spec reccomends 1.52v stick to that unless you are like me and comfortable with high volts and prob high temps too

Tbh your lan is prob oofed, just buy a cheap lan card

Looks like it might be to be fair, I run it with a Corsair H80i GT v2 and have it setup where it never goes above 75 playing games or editing.

3 minutes ago, chawndi said:

Looks like it might be to be fair, I run it with a Corsair H80i GT v2 and have it setup where it never goes above 75 playing games or editing.

Ooof 120mm cooler

Well then since you arent gonna run more than 1.3v anyways then just run it till tjmax and itll still be fine (100c), just depends on if you are fine with high temps or not

Ooof 120mm cooler

Well then since you arent gonna run more than 1.3v anyways then just run it till tjmax and itll still be fine (100c), just depends on if you are fine with high temps or not

When it used to be oc'd it'd never get too hot regardless. It used to be at 4.5 1.34/5 for ages until I reset bios. OC worked again after with internet then didn't one day but will look into a lan card for sure.