Show off your modding skills.

HesCalledTheStig

For the last few days I’ve been trying to come up with a way to add some decent DIY RGB to my graphics card. Still haven’t figured it out. So I figured I’d ask to see what others may have done. But why keep it just to GPU’s?  Show off what you’ve made or modified in your PC. Perhaps you’ll inspire someone else (like me!). 

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Modded a fan onto overheating passive GPU earlier today...

Hide contents

IMG_1120.thumb.JPEG.77f5c57a4fece48df4df33ac52aaf17b.JPEG

Gets 2 thumbs up from me if it works! 👍👍

Currently strapped 2x120mm fans to the bottom of my L430 laptop from lenovo. Unless those run at 50% and above, it wont start.. Been letting it go at 2.2GHz on a non-k processor and just yesterday the battery died.. So its constantly plugged into by force.. The plug is dying too so its just to see how far i can push it.

Will see if i can get a picture here, im not sure how long its gonna last.. Its been smoking for 2 days now and i cant tell what it is.. Because the battery isnt in the laptop now.

Its now outside in the rain (below a roof tho haha) running at max speed to see if it can survive prime95, something its never done.

Its had a good 9 year run of loosing it down the stairs and accidently almost shorting it when i had too much static on me and i touched the motherboard 🙃

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

3M strip lighting with remote on Amazon could be an option. I know you can cut custom lengths as well. 

Old Avatar. Blue LED dropped in LN2 pot. Let the board do the rest XD.

ezgif-3-681ac01ee332.thumb.gif.14a0813ea8a81e815b4197d53c702549.gif.c2bf710597f68574e25d82215fe9a711.gif

Ultimate modding guys

Spoiler

1883163678_ultimatemod.thumb.jpg.7df43311df5cfc1c2f53f1134fcda8a1.jpg

In case it's not clear, I've removed one of the screws holding in part of my GTX 690 and replaced it with a slightly longer one so I can screw the fan in.
Don't worry, the only thing it can contact is heat sink. It does its job much better here than when it was dangling by string too!

elephants

2 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Then this is a slightly better example, building a wooden case for an old overheating laptop

You messed with Texas!

That's very clever, and a better laptop than my current laptop.

I no longer have photos but ages ago I kept my Voodoo2 PCI extra cool with a 90mm case fan sitting on the back of a modem card with long sheet metal screws as legs and rubber caps on the heads of the screws. It worked fairly well!

More on topic with this thread....

I put a LED on the +12 and ground pins of a fan header set to voltage mode, as the board ramps fan speed to that header the LED gets brighter and then dimmer as it diminishes voltage. I've used this in a few PC's now, it's simple to do and it looks nice. You can easily change how it works by editing the fan curve for that header and since LED strips don't use many amps you can put a few strips on one header. It's of course only single color and only changes brightness but if you like monochromatic then it's a nice look! It's also a quick visual indicator of system load if it's keyed to CPU temps.

9 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

3M strip lighting with remote on Amazon could be an option. I know you can cut custom lengths as well. 

Old Avatar. Blue LED dropped in LN2 pot. Let the board do the rest XD.

ezgif-3-681ac01ee332.thumb.gif.14a0813ea8a81e815b4197d53c702549.gif.c2bf710597f68574e25d82215fe9a711.gif

I took the fan shroud off my gpu and I THINK I have enough room to put a short led strip inside it. I found one on Amazon that is sata powered and it will be here tomorrow. If not, I have an alternative idea. 

11 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Then this is a slightly better example, building a wooden case for an old overheating laptop

Not bad at all

I'll look for pics but I modded a light into my tape deck so my clear tapes would look cooler

EDIT:

Spoiler

IMG_0297.thumb.JPEG.5ed50f912dd281cc771f7b006595924d.JPEGIMG_0298.thumb.JPEG.7a2ddba4c4c0c4e5742caee946cfa450.JPEGIMG_0299.thumb.JPEG.526111adce53f77a958a5d17156da8ed.JPEGIMG_0300.thumb.JPEG.535e005b043800ad3bb64d961d3a938c.JPEGIMG_0301.thumb.JPEG.dc70ec1b525fef197b118c2d5b82538a.JPEG

Wired straight to the +5v (for the VU meters) of the deck's power supply with a resistor so it runs a bit softer than burn-your-eyes-out. Looks much better in person - I've got some rare Reel Cleer tapes that look like, well, tiny reels and it really illuminates them well (especially the purple ones) 

antec 1200 case old but still a mod

added a hole on top for the aio cables for better routing also has a hole in the 5.25 to go strate to the back.

added led feet

added a hole under the mb tray to hide the aio cables power rest so on super tight mod.

added a on off switch for the cold cathode to the back insted of the default pci slot

added a 120mm fan to the bottom (not that it needed it or any thing...)

added a fill port and an empty port thow made that one too big...

one point had 4x 120mm fans in front and a 360 rad.

Picture 172.jpg

Picture 176.jpg

Picture 177.jpg

Picture 181.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

gpu fan mod

rx4704gb 004.jpg

rx4704gb 007.jpg

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

IMG_20211113_133502.thumb.jpg.19925f9395284afd1a49cb75bf4b4fce.jpg

I built a frame to hold mining cards on top of an especially cheap open bench. Doesn't need to be pretty, just needs to work.

voodoo 5500 water blocked. sold it sadly... also has sli 2x voodoo 2 12mb sold them too and im 99% sold an x800/x850 ultra i think? think i had an radeon 9800 xt to also sold that...

and an xbox 360 pc case mod and water cooled. never completed it never mounted the cd drive ended up through it out as i could no sell it.

DSCF1590.JPG

DSCF1643.JPG

DSCF1650.JPG

Edited by thrasher_565