My ip changed to a different country From hungary > to Netherlands

cat lover

This happened in 1 day overral, yesterday everything was fine, my ip was still in hungary. Then today I turned my pc on and my ip is in Netherlands now. ( I checked on my browser, my vpn's (Because they show) )

In windows settings > internet > properties it says my old ip which is in hungary. 

I tried restarting my pc/router. connecting to a vpn and disconnecting.

unknown (1).png

36 minutes ago, cat lover said:

windows settings > internet > properties

That only shows your internal or private IP address, which can't trace your location.

If you're looking at the address that I've marked with an arrow below, that's your private IP.

Spoiler

image.png.4a00b7517065d6651fd9e6303b0ee842.png

Seems you're confusing public and private IP addresses. Usually your router will have a public IP address, and all other devices on the network have a private IP address. Only your public IP can be used to trace your location, your private(the one you see in windows settings) IP can't be.

I'm not sure if I understand you completely, apologies in advance if I don't.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

Your VPN is routing your internet through the Netherlands. If you would like your IP to show your location as Hungary check to see if your VPN provides servers in that location you can route through or disable your VPN.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Your VPN is routing your internet through the Netherlands. If you would like your IP to show your location as Hungary check to see if your VPN provides servers in that location you can route through or disable your VPN.

I checked all of my vpn services, I don't have neither of them on. Sorry if I wasn't clear in the post!

30 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

That only shows your internal or private IP address, which can't trace your location.

If you're looking at the address that I've marked with an arrow below, that's your private IP.

Hide contents

image.png.4a00b7517065d6651fd9e6303b0ee842.png

Seems you're confusing public and private IP addresses. Usually your router will have a public IP address, and all other devices on the network have a private IP address. Only your public IP can be used to trace your location, your private(the one you see in windows settings) IP can't be.

I'm not sure if I understand you completely, apologies in advance if I don't.

I didn't know that, but still why would my location be in the Netherlands? And this changed in a day (Yesterday it showed hungary, now it shows The Netherlands)

I don't know what I did, but it appears to be changed back? ( I DIDNT DO ANYTHING WITH VPNS) 

Do you even need the country to be correct?

IP and country matching is usually done using GeoIP databases. These databases might have outdated information or the IP belongs to a company thats based in country X, but also has servers in country Y, but you could be seeing one or the other, depending on the service.

tl;dr - country information isn't always 100% correct, don't depend on that.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

IP ranges are owned by companies. 

Sometimes a company buys another company and gains the IP ranges previously owned by the other company... Sometimes such IP ranges are sold for lots of money. 

If you're not using any VPNs at the moment you took that picture, then what most likely happened is your ISP made some changes to their network and you received an IP that was previously used in Holland or was used by a Dutch company.  

The companies that build geolocation databases don't update them hourly, such databases are updated daily or weekly (if you pay premiums for a license) or monthly. 

As an example, the IPs of the computers at the company I work at show up as located maybe 500-1000 miles from where we actually are, simply because we use a business internet subscription from an ISP that's more corporate/business oriented which uses private fiber lines to connect businesses to their network, so those geolocation companies have a harder time mapping where these IPs are physically located. Our data packets can go through fiber all the way across the country before going outside the private network of this ISP. 

If you use some VPN service, you're connected to a server and the browser and anyone detects the IP of that server ... if that server is physically located in a datacenter in Holland, that's what the websites will report.

9 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Do you even need the country to be correct?

IP and country matching is usually done using GeoIP databases. These databases might have outdated information or the IP belongs to a company thats based in country X, but also has servers in country Y, but you could be seeing one or the other, depending on the service.

tl;dr - country information isn't always 100% correct, don't depend on that.

The ip was not correct, therefore I didn't get logged in automatically/couldn't log onto some sites.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

IP ranges are owned by companies. 

Sometimes a company buys another company and gains the IP ranges previously owned by the other company... Sometimes such IP ranges are sold for lots of money. 

If you're not using any VPNs at the moment you took that picture, then what most likely happened is your ISP made some changes to their network and you received an IP that was previously used in Holland or was used by a Dutch company.  

The companies that build geolocation databases don't update them hourly, such databases are updated daily or weekly (if you pay premiums for a license) or monthly. 

As an example, the IPs of the computers at the company I work at show up as located maybe 500-1000 miles from where we actually are, simply because we use a business internet subscription from an ISP that's more corporate/business oriented which uses private fiber lines to connect businesses to their network, so those geolocation companies have a harder time mapping where these IPs are physically located. Our data packets can go through fiber all the way across the country before going outside the private network of this ISP. 

If you use some VPN service, you're connected to a server and the browser and anyone detects the IP of that server ... if that server is physically located in a datacenter in Holland, that's what the websites will report.

My ip is the old as before now. So I didn't get a new ip.

1 hour ago, cat lover said:

My ip is the old as before now. So I didn't get a new ip.

this is highly unlikely,  unless you pay for static ip adress. 

1 hour ago, cat lover said:

The ip was not correct, therefore I didn't get logged in automatically/couldn't log onto some sites.

I don't understand this, it shouldn't matter,  websites use cookies and similar to log you in,  not ip addresses,  because ips can and will change frequently,  in most cases. 

I wish it was like that, everyone gets 1 ip adress that belongs to them or at least to the location ("adress" heh) ... but thats not what's happening,  and not really how the internet is designed either. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity