Why did Apple add HDMI to new MacBook?

Why did they choose HDMI? Why not DP if they were going to add another video output capable port? Why do people even use HDMI? This has been bothering me too much.

I don't know if this matters or not, but I personally wouldn't like DP on my laptop. The port looks weirdly asymmetrical. HDMI looks better. The chassis being of lighter colors(silver gray etc) makes the port even more visible unlike a laptop with black chassis where they'd be not so attention-catching.

That's what I think. Haven't taken actual functionality into consideration.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

I feel like its because most people who would utilize a video port on a laptop would be using it on a tv. Most older tvs (Not high end from the last few years) Used HDMI and don't have displayport.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

1 minute ago, SignatureSigner said:

I feel like its because most people who would utilize a video port on a laptop would be using it on a tv. Most older tvs (Not high end from the last few years) Used HDMI and don't have displayport.

I'd like to argue most would use it on 1-3 monitors and use laptop as mobile workstation. Personally I HATE HDMI just as much I HATE VGA.

1 minute ago, Just that Mario said:

I'd like to argue most would use it on 1-3 monitors and use laptop as mobile workstation. Personally I HATE HDMI just as much I HATE VGA.

Regardless, the thought processes was HDMI for mobile user who needs to connect to TV's and projectors from time to time. Those sitting at a desk will have a TB dock and hook up multiple DP displays that way.

As a connection standard for strictly PC displays, I also much prefer DisplayPort but I can also completely understand the thought process and decision to go with HDMI for the new MBP's. 

It already has DisplayPort via Thunderbolt/USB-C. The only reason to add a dedicated video output port would be for convenience, so of course it is going to be the most commonly used and most commonly recognized port. Most people don't even know DisplayPort exists. If you had to use an adapter to connect to any HDMI display, then that's already possible with a USB-C to HDMI adapter and it defeats the purpose of putting the port there in the first place.

Also, there's a company image trap that they've set for themselves. They can't use full-size DisplayPort, because Apple are the ones that created the Mini DisplayPort connector, so if they put DisplayPort without using it, they look like they've stepped backwards. But they can't have a Mini DisplayPort output either, because Apple also in the past widely adopted Thunderbolt 2, so if they have a Mini DisplayPort output people will expect it to be a Thunderbolt port, if it's just plain Mini DP it looks like they've gone backwards. And they can't make it a Thunderbolt port because it would have to be Thunderbolt 2 only, which again makes it look like they've gone backwards. So Thunderbolt 3/USB-C is the only option for DisplayPort output in a company like Apple.

4 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

It already has DisplayPort via Thunderbolt/USB-C. The only reason to add a dedicated video output port would be for convenience, so of course it is going to be the most commonly used and most commonly recognized port. Most people don't even know DisplayPort exists. If you had to use an adapter to connect to any HDMI display, then that's already possible with a USB-C to HDMI adapter and it defeats the purpose of putting the port there in the first place.

Also, there's a company image trap that they've set for themselves. They can't use full-size DisplayPort, because Apple are the ones that created the Mini DisplayPort connector, so if they put DisplayPort without using it, they look like they've stepped backwards. But they can't have a Mini DisplayPort output either, because Apple also in the past widely adopted Thunderbolt 2, so if they have a Mini DisplayPort output people will expect it to be a Thunderbolt port, if it's just plain Mini DP it looks like they've gone backwards. And they can't make it a Thunderbolt port because it would have to be Thunderbolt 2 only, which again makes it look like they've gone backwards. So Thunderbolt 3/USB-C is the only option for a company like Apple.

Interesting. Personally I wouldn't even want that HDMI port (nor dumb SD card reader) if I were to get a MBP. Though their pricing is high enough that I will not be getting one. If only my M1 MBA had high refresh screen.

You can already hook up 4 6k monitors via the TB4 ports...

The HDMI 2.0 port is literally for people in a pinch hooking up to a projector, a TV, something, anything, for a presentation. It's not intended to be used as the primary display out. You got 3 TB4 ports for that. I'll be using that HDMI port to run a 27" monitor off a 50-foot HDMI cable to use as client review on set. 

Also, the SD card slot is not dumb. I work in commercial advertising, that SD card slot is extremely useful for pulling down audio, ingesting stills from a camera, ingesting video, literally any recording medium that's not tethered or shooting to a mag. 

<mod removed>

Edited by Kilrah

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

28 minutes ago, Just that Mario said:

Interesting. Personally I wouldn't even want that HDMI port (nor dumb SD card reader) if I were to get a MBP. Though their pricing is high enough that I will not be getting one. If only my M1 MBA had high refresh screen.

HDMI is all about not needing to hunt for a dongle at pretensions, apple got tired enough of major on stage events being held up by no dongle with their laptops front and center

while yeah the SD car reader has lost some of its ability given cameras have often moved onto other media there are still plenty of uses for it outside of the traditional creatives. From devs getting an OS on a single board computer to just smaller and faster than a flash drive for moving lots of files around. Would have been cool to see a CFexpress slot sure but then what size? A B C?, SD and micro SD are atleast easy to convert between

both of these are useful ports that people getting real work done want. Apple did a look at creatives doing work using Macs, all the laptops were pre 2015 with the light up logos and real ports. why? because when time is money or an idea no one wants to dig though their bag to find a dongle

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

6 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

HDMI is all about not needing to hunt for a dongle at pretensions, apple got tired enough of major on stage events being held up by no dongle with their laptops front and center

while yeah the SD car reader has lost some of its ability given cameras have often moved onto other media there are still plenty of uses for it outside of the traditional creatives. From devs getting an OS on a single board computer to just smaller and faster than a flash drive for moving lots of files around. Would have been cool to see a CFexpress slot sure but then what size? A B C?, SD and micro SD are atleast easy to convert between

both of these are useful ports that people getting real work done want. Apple did a look at creatives doing work using Macs, all the laptops were pre 2015 with the light up logos and real ports. why? because when time is money or an idea no one wants to dig though their bag to find a dongle

It'd be really cool if Apple could make configurable ports, but we'll never see that. And sadly for me (and probably most of Europe), we'd get whatever pre-configured setups local distributors order.

6 hours ago, Just that Mario said:

It'd be really cool if Apple could make configurable ports, but we'll never see that. And sadly for me (and probably most of Europe), we'd get whatever pre-configured setups local distributors order.

they won't

thats then just about making sure they make sense for the mass, most don't need 16gb of ram but 8tb of storage

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

On 11/8/2021 at 5:13 PM, Just that Mario said:

I have a camera and the SD card would be a major plus for getting photos onto a laptop. I also do presentations so the HDMI is also a major plus. 

Folks have already explained why the port exists, but I'll say this: I won't be surprised if it doesn't stick around for more than a few years. Apple is not some Windows OEM still including VGA ports to cater to businesses that haven't upgraded displays since 2002... it's happy to drop ports the moment it feels there's a better general alternative. See FireWire and USB as examples.

22 hours ago, Commodus said:

Folks have already explained why the port exists, but I'll say this: I won't be surprised if it doesn't stick around for more than a few years. Apple is not some Windows OEM still including VGA ports to cater to businesses that haven't upgraded displays since 2002... it's happy to drop ports the moment it feels there's a better general alternative. See FireWire and USB as examples.

That's why I don't understand why they added it. To me HDMI is ancient tech and I am not even type of person that has newest and highest end everything.

4 minutes ago, Just that Mario said:

That's why I don't understand why they added it. To me HDMI is ancient tech and I am not even type of person that has newest and highest end everything.

While you may feel that way, the truth is, at least in 2.1 form, HDMI is the best of the best available for high resolution, high refresh rate consumer display tech in TV's and projectors. (granted its 2.0 on the MBP but again, the use case doesn't really call for anything higher than 4K 60 in most cases)

The part you seem to be struggling with the most is that port wasn't added for desktop monitor usage.

Guy shows up in his board meeting and needs to connector to the projector for a meeting. Everyone around him with Windows based laptops just plugs in no problem over HDMI. Our buy with the new MBP can now as well without a dongle. 

2 hours ago, Just that Mario said:

Apple most likely felt HDMI was still important enough to add back for now, particularly for video editors who'll want to attach a preview monitor without using dongles. Remember, Apple really is trying to court pros with the new MacBook Pro — that means adding features creatives will probably use for a while. Just so long as it doesn't fall into the same trap as Windows PC vendors that keep legacy ports long past their expiry dates.