What is worth the purchase, PS5 Standard Edition or PS5 Digital Edition?

Awesoham

As an absolute starter with no gaming experience and no previously owned consoles I find it difficult to decide what to buy. I know that both editions support PS4 games but is it possible to install a game in the digital edition that is not available in the playstation store and also does downloading too many games make it slower? And if I buy a disc based game for the standard edition and switch consoles, will logging into my playstation account simply restore my progress or do I also need to use the same disc?

3 hours ago, Awesoham said:

As an absolute starter with no gaming experience and no previously owned consoles I find it difficult to decide what to buy. I know that both editions support PS4 games but is it possible to install a game in the digital edition that is not available in the playstation store and also does downloading too many games make it slower? And if I buy a disc based game for the standard edition and switch consoles, will logging into my playstation account simply restore my progress or do I also need to use the same disc?

I have the digital version and I would advise you to try and get the disc version. 

For the simple reason that the ps5 games are expensive on the store and it's much better to have the disc drive as you can not only find physical copies cheaper but, in time, you can take advantage of the second hand market - something you cannot do with the digital version. 

I like the disc edition for cheap physical copies (especially stuff like Walmart game bins) and it's a UHD Blu-Ray player. Just in game sale prices, I expect it to pay for the $100 difference pretty quick.

The disc version is way cheaper in the long run because physical PS4 and PS5 games go down in price pretty quickly. For instance, Walmart had Demon's Souls for $50 for like a month and a half. To be fair, PSN also had it digitally for $50, but only for a week. Gamefly had Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart used (but with the case) for $35 while the cheapest it has ever been on PSN was $60. Instead of paying $70 for Final Fantasy VII Integrade I bought the PS4 disc version of Final Fantasy VII R for $30 from Walmart and then bought the Yuffie DLC for $20 on PSN. And jeez, like @Coltymentioned, the Walmart clearances.

Last weekend I got the following games from Walmart at fire sale clearance prices

• Yakuza Like a Dragon (PS4) for $4 [it has a free PS5 upgrade]
  • Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition (PS5) for $3.50
  • Nioh 2 (PS4) for $2 [it has a free PS5 upgrade]
  • Immortals Fenyx Rising (PS5) for $4
  • Death Stranding (PS4) for $2 [PS5 upgrade is $10]
  • Uncharted Lost Legacy (PS4) for $2
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (PS5) for $4

I'm so glad I bought the disc PS5 instead of the digital PS5. In one year I have already saved twice the price difference in game purchases.

I have the disc version, got it day one.  I think so far it has saved me $200, there's always a $20~ difference between day one AAA prices on the PSN store (more expensive on the PSN store) and getting the physical games from random stores in person, then when i'm done with the game i can trade it back in on my next purchase.  If you lock yourself into buying only from the PSN store, you're going to be getting bent over for the next 6-8 years or however long the generation lasts. 

18 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The disc version is way cheaper in the long run because physical PS4 and PS5 games go down in price pretty quickly. For instance, Walmart had Demon's Souls for $50 for like a month and a half. To be fair, PSN also had it digitally for $50, but only for a week. Gamefly had Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart used (but with the case) for $35 while the cheapest it has ever been on PSN was $60. Instead of paying $70 for Final Fantasy VII Integrade I bought the PS4 disc version of Final Fantasy VII R for $30 from Walmart and then bought the Yuffie DLC for $20 on PSN. And jeez, like @Coltymentioned, the Walmart clearances.

Last weekend I got the following games from Walmart at fire sale clearance prices

• Yakuza Like a Dragon (PS4) for $4 [it has a free PS5 upgrade]
  • Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition (PS5) for $3.50
  • Nioh 2 (PS4) for $2 [it has a free PS5 upgrade]
  • Immortals Fenyx Rising (PS5) for $4
  • Death Stranding (PS4) for $2 [PS5 upgrade is $10]
  • Uncharted Lost Legacy (PS4) for $2
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (PS5) for $4

I'm so glad I bought the disc PS5 instead of the digital PS5. In one year I have already saved twice the price difference in game purchases.

I do kind of regret getting the digital version, but it was all I could get.

Miles Morales cost me £39.99 (about 45 dollars) on the store, and on the same day it was on the shelf in a pawn shop near me for £25.

Ghost of Tsushima DC cost me £69.99 and that was available at £50 in another shop barely a week after it went on sale.

The prices for digital games are already high, and they remain that way for a while.