[Not a bug] Marking your own post as solution increases solution counter.

Levent

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

Marking your post in your thread increases your own solution counter

What did you expect to happen?

It shouldnt increase the counter, this will be abused.

Capture.JPG.7beef89e5817e2c177e57aec73d5e894.JPG

2.JPG.f141314b777810da4baac9a52df271d9.JPG

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I'm not sure why you'd abuse it... nor what the harm would be in that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Can confirm it works in Test Posts, too.

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Same reason why people give unrelated answers in many threads. Internet points farming. Its not exactly a issue BUT if solution counter is not an important metric, it shouldnt be viewed with every post.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Some people would see the solutions counter as an indication of a reputable member (which could definitely be the case), and now it's a value that is always visible. I could see it as something that someone might try to abuse if they want to seem more reputable than they are. Personally I don't know why it needs to show up under the username - it would have been fine to keep it just on a main profile page. But that's beside the point.

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 minute ago, BondiBlue said:

Some people would see the solutions counter as an indication of a reputable member (which could definitely be the case), and now it's a value that is always visible. I could see it as something that someone might try to abuse if they want to seem more reputable than they are. Personally I don't know why it needs to show up under the username - it would have been fine to keep it just on a main profile page. But that's beside the point.

I am definitly not a reputable member then 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

4 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

I agree solution counter shouldnt be viewed on every post. Forum is going to turn XDA with people having "MARK MY POST AS SOLUTION IF I SOLVED" or "HIT THAT LIKE BUTTON IF I HELPED" if solution counter is as visible.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Our forum will turn like Microsoft Answers forum.

User problem: Disc drive button doesn't work

Marked as solution: "Run SFC /scannow, then DISM /online, Run WSRest, and restart Windows update service. If doesn't work, post the BSOD mini dumb"

1 hour ago, Levent said:

people having "MARK MY POST AS SOLUTION IF I SOLVED" or "HIT THAT LIKE BUTTON IF I HELPED" if solution counter is as visible.

To be fair, it would be nice if people marked their topics as answered sometimes rather than virtually never as it is right now 😛

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I do agree that being able to mark your own posts as a solution does go against the spirit of the solutions count. Making changes to the forum to prohibit marking your own post as the solution counting towards the solution count is something that I think is worth looking in to.

For now, there are already rules in the Community Standards regarding post/reaction farming which this would fall under. I have added "Solution count farming" to that rule.

If someone is farming solutions in the manner you described it is something that should be pretty easy for the moderation team to identify, and something that we can reverse. The posts that have been marked as solutions are displayed when you click on the solution count or the "See answers" underneath the count on the profile so it should be transparent if people have abused it. Farming solution counts seems rather pointless to me and against the spirit of it, and I would expect that nobody in this community would do such a thing (especially since it would be obvious that they have farmed it), so I am optimistic that it won't be an issue.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

You had to report this.. I really wanted make myself the top Mod. 😑

/s

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

I do agree that being able to mark your own posts as a solution does go against the spirit of the solutions count. Making changes to the forum to prohibit marking your own post as the solution counting towards the solution count is something that I think is worth looking in to.

I think @colonel_mortis has already looked into this, and found that its something known and intended in the forum software, and would require suprisingly high amounts of work for something so small

EDIT: found the post. Was close on what he said, but not quire right

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I think @colonel_mortis has already looked into this, and found that its something known and intended in the forum software, and would require suprisingly high amounts of work for something so small

That's not the same thing as what is being discussed here, however that has been fixed with this update. The original post can no longer be marked as the solution. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I'm pretty worried that this also works in Test Posts.. Pretty sure this will be abused. Mods, will you be able to do anything about this?

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

1 minute ago, RockSolid1106 said:

I'm pretty worried that this also works in Test Posts.. Pretty sure this will be abused. Mods, will you be able to do anything about this?

It will be looked into. Thats all I can say for now. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

In theory, we should be able to lock an OP from using one of his own post as a solution somewhat easily, but I feel like there is legitimate reasons where a user might want to solve his own post.

32 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

I've checked and there's no easy way to fix that, unfortunately. What we could do is have a fast archiving policy on that post so test threads just get automatically deleted after 7 days or something, which would remove the solution / post counts from the user stats.

8 minutes ago, AJJaxNet said:

In theory, we should be able to lock an OP from using one of his own post as a solution somewhat easily, but I feel like there is legitimate reasons where a user might want to solve his own post.

I agree. For example: I marked my post as the solution here to indicate that I had updated the post with new information. I had basically rewritten the entire post since I had made it before the event took place. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 hour ago, AJJaxNet said:

What we could do is have a fast archiving policy on that post so test threads just get automatically deleted after 7 days or something, which would remove the solution / post counts from the user stats.

Absolutely not. Posts should not be deleted, even from the test post section. There's also a lot of people who have posts in the test post section they've been working on for months writing very detailed guides, reviews, etc. Some people also use it to store information and references to refer back to.

Ideally it would be possible for the OP to mark their own post as the solution but it not +1 the solution counter. This might be something that requires IPS to implement if it's not already an option.

Another possible option is not count solutions in the test post section since that is likely going to be the place where people try to farm it due to the posts being private. However, forum moderators can see the test posts of all members so it should be extremely obvious if someone is creating a bunch of posts in the test post section to farm solutions, which is why I'm not too concerned about people farming in test posts.

Edit: I should also make it clear I do not expect people farming solutions to be an actual issue. When it was added people said the "Top Posters" shown in popular topics would cause people to spam replies to show up on the top posters list, but that has not happened. In the entire time I've been a mod on the forum (couple of years) I think I've only seen one instance of someone actually farming reputation by using alt accounts to like their own posts. I think it's natural to see stuff like this and think "Oh, people are just going to farm it to make their number bigger" but in practice it generally doesn't happen, at least not in this community. Once the novelty of it being a new feature wears off I'm sure most people won't pay much attention to it.

Edited by Spotty

7 hours ago, AJJaxNet said:

I've checked and there's no easy way to fix that, unfortunately. What we could do is have a fast archiving policy on that post so test threads just get automatically deleted after 7 days or something, which would remove the solution / post counts from the user stats.

Deleting posts doesn't actually remove from any of the metrics for some reason, so this won't work

HTTP/2 203