Building my kids each a new PC

Budget (including currency): $1000”

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, Genshin Impact, RoBlox

I’m replacing both of my kids PC’s. One has an old Phenom based pc with 6gb of RAM and a 750ti and the other has an i5 4590 based pc with 16gb of Ram and a GT 1030. They both play a LOT of Genshin Impact and Minecraft and the Phenom pc is really starting to lag. So, I’m building them both new pc’s for Christmas. Here is the pc part picker list for what I’ve ordered. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Pffw9N

(The final build parts differed slightly from this list due to finding slightly better alternatives. Also opted out of the SSD listed because I had a couple decent SSD’s at home.)

Aside from these parts, I grabbed them each a used GTX 970 off eBay. I had a budget of $1000 and went slightly over. Each PC cost me about $590 with the GPU.   Hoping they will be happy and these PC’s will hold them over until I can upgrade them a bit. 

Do you have a specific question, seeing as you already ordered the parts?

I think those are fine entry level systems, for the money you did quite well I would say. 

ryzen 1600 and gtx 970 are already older parts, but should do the job for those titles. 

I would have considered a better b450 or b550 motherboard, since you wont be able to upgrade the cpu to ryzen 5000 or even 3000 with these A320 boards. 

good luck building!

3 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

and the other has an i5 4590 based pc with 16gb of Ram and a GT 1030.

Honestly speaking i would keep running LGA 1150 and pull a 4770 somewhere cheap if you can. But here's a quick price condensed PC with a far better upgrade path when your kids inevitably grew out of those 2 games, which really as simple as 2TB HDD and a 3060Ti.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($168.19 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B560M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory  ($62.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Mushkin Enhanced Helix-L 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($85.98 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cougar MX331 MESH ATX Mid Tower Case  ($42.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $500.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-01 09:13 EDT-0400

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, maartendc said:

Do you have a specific question, seeing as you already ordered the parts?

I think those are fine entry level systems, for the money you did quite well I would say. 

ryzen 1600 and gtx 970 are already older parts, but should do the job for those titles. 

I would have considered a better b450 or b550 motherboard, since you wont be able to upgrade the cpu to ryzen 5000 with these boards. 

good luck building!

Not really a question. Just wanted opinions. I’m new to building and like to hear what others think. I went back and forth on the cpu  actually. But after watching some YouTube videos and reading reviews, it seemed like a good entry level cpu for them that would do the job. And the motherboards, I had to try to stay as close to budget as possible. I don’t plan to overclock at all so I figured they would get the kids by until next year. Once I upgrade them, I’ll pass the boards and CPU’s on to a family member that will be looking to build for his kids by then. Works out well!

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Honestly speaking i would keep running LGA 1150 and pull a 4770 somewhere cheap if you can. But here's a quick price condensed PC with a far better upgrade path when your kids inevitably grew out of those 2 games, which really as simple as 2TB HDD and a 3060Ti.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI MAG B560M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory  ($62.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Mushkin Enhanced Helix-L 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($85.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 

good build, but I am assuming the 500 usd budget included the used gtx970. so this build might not have fitted the budget. 

3 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

PCPartPicker Part List

The issue with the 1150 is that the PCIe slot has issues. It was a second hand board when I got it. We have to re-seat the gpu from time to time to get it to work. Otherwise I would have definitely stuck with it. 

1 minute ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

Not really a question. Just wanted opinions. I’m new to building and like to hear what others think. I went back and forth on the cpu  actually. But after watching some YouTube videos and reading reviews, it seemed like a good entry level cpu for them that would do the job. And the motherboards, I had to try to stay as close to budget as possible. I don’t plan to overclock at all so I figured they would get the kids by until next year. Once I upgrade them, I’ll pass the boards and CPU’s on to a family member that will be looking to build for his kids by then. Works out well!

Sure if you plan to upgrade cpu and mobo together, then there is no issue at all. The A320 will do the job. 

1 minute ago, maartendc said:

good build, but I am assuming the 500 usd budget included the used gtx970. so this build might not have fitted the budget. 

Yea. The 970 was included. It came to about $589 with the cards. Thankfully the boss (my wife) was lenient, lol

Just now, maartendc said:

Sure if you plan to upgrade cpu and mobo together, then there is no issue at all. The A320 will do the job. 

That’s the plan. It’s just to get them by for a year or so. 

so you've already went and bought everything? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

i would have just used the stock cooler.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

so you've already went and bought everything? 

I’ve placed the order for the parts. There is a waiting time on some so I have time to switch stuff up. I went with the 212 Evo because it will give me some wiggle room when I can upgrade. Plus, I hate how loud the stealth coolers get when the cpu is at high load. 

1 minute ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

I’ve placed the order for the parts. There is a waiting time on some so I have time to switch stuff up. I went with the 212 Evo because it will give me some wiggle room when I can upgrade. Plus, I hate how loud the stealth coolers get when the cpu is at high load. 

the A320 board is pretty terrible, forget about upgrading without it throttling the CPU and you can't upgrade to a zen 3 CPU.

The samsung SSDs are overpriced for what you get, could easily save $30-40 and have gotten a much better nvme ssd.

the EVGA BR is pretty mediocre, the CX550 would be much better.

which of the parts can you cancel the orders on?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, Herman Mcpootis said:

the A320 board is pretty terrible, forget about upgrading without it throttling the CPU and you can't upgrade to a zen 3 CPU.

The samsung SSDs are overpriced for what you get, could easily save $30-40 and have gotten a much better nvme ssd.

the EVGA BR is pretty mediocre, the CX550 would be much better.

which of the parts can you cancel the orders on?

Read my post, I ditched the SSD for ones that I already owned.  And the motherboard and CPU will be replaced next year.  They are just a stepping stone to get them up and running.

46 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

Budget (including currency): $1000”

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, Genshin Impact, RoBlox

I’m replacing both of my kids PC’s. One has an old Phenom based pc with 6gb of RAM and a 750ti and the other has an i5 4590 based pc with 16gb of Ram and a GT 1030. They both play a LOT of Genshin Impact and Minecraft and the Phenom pc is really starting to lag. So, I’m building them both new pc’s for Christmas. Here is the pc part picker list for what I’ve ordered. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Pffw9N

(The final build parts differed slightly from this list due to finding slightly better alternatives. Also opted out of the SSD listed because I had a couple decent SSD’s at home.)

Aside from these parts, I grabbed them each a used GTX 970 off eBay. I had a budget of $1000 and went slightly over. Each PC cost me about $590 with the GPU.   Hoping they will be happy and these PC’s will hold them over until I can upgrade them a bit. 

Zen and zen+ just straight up suck ass performance wise, just get 10th gen intel instead, similar price but far superior performance

Overpriced cooler, get a cheaper 4 heatpipe tower

Abysmal board, atleast b450 but since i reccomended intel then b560

3200mhz cl16 silicon power rams are the same price

Case doesnt have good airflow, go for a cheap mesh case like montech x1

Psu is eh but itll atleast not blow up or catch on fire

4 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Zen and zen+ just straight up suck ass performance wise, just get 10th gen intel instead, similar price but far superior performance

Overpriced cooler, get a cheaper 4 heatpipe tower

Abysmal board, atleast b450 but since i reccomended intel then b560

3200mhz cl16 silicon power rams are the same price

Case doesnt have good airflow, go for a cheap mesh case like montech x1

Psu is eh but itll atleast not blow up or catch on fire

You must have missed the "budget" aspect of my post.

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FKm9fP

Reveal hidden contents

511395705_download(9).jpeg.7e40a6e91567c30cdb11bbdb24b35e43.jpeg

Tho is it any cheaper than your final build - gpu?

I edited my part picker list so it was actually less, due to budget constraints.  Plus I had to add $200 on for the GPU that was purchased on eBay.  I was supposed to stay at or under $1000.  I ended up at $1200.  And truth be told, I prefer AMD.  always had better luck than I have with Intel.  Just personal preference.

i would not use samsung drives. they really aren't necessary, especially for your kids. i'd also add a hard drive for when they get older, and inevitably want to download bigger games, or for storing the also inevitable meme folder. you also can use the stock cooler as long as you undervolt the cpu, and get them in the habit of doing it. there's probably better changes you could make, but these are the ones i made. take it all with a grain of salt. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2bqtwz 

also you're a badass dad

pc specs:

Spoiler

r5 3600
16gb ddr4 3200mhz

b450 tomahawk max
rx 6600xt

1tb ssd + 6tb hdd
meshify c
750w dragon or something psu idk

9 minutes ago, m0oble said:

i would not use samsung drives. they really aren't necessary, especially for your kids. i'd also add a hard drive for when they get older, and inevitably want to download bigger games, or for storing the also inevitable meme folder. you also can use the stock cooler as long as you undervolt the cpu, and get them in the habit of doing it. there's probably better changes you could make, but these are the ones i made. take it all with a grain of salt. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2bqtwz 

also you're a badass dad

Yeah i ditched the Samsung SSD's.  I have a couple Crucial SSD's already that I will use.  I also have a stack of 1tb HDD's so they will have a decent amount of storage.  I just had to buy the main components.  I'm just not a fan of the stock coolers.  They always get too loud.  I ordered the RGB versions of the EVO 212 because the kids wanted some sort of lighting and I figured that would be a good start and it would also work for just about any CPU they upgrade too in the future.  And thanks, the kids have had a tough time with all this Covid crap so I wanted to do something they could enjoy.  Seems all they ever do is schoolwork anymore.  Even kids need a break sometimes.