Chris Roberts confirmed Linux support for Star Citizen during PAX EAST panel discussion

During a PAX East Panel discussion CR casually said "by the way, we are going to support linux with star citizen".

The Panel is still going:

http://www.twitch.tv/pax2

EDIT: I was to excited to note the exact time, but I will update the post when the livestream is done and twich has the recording available.

EDIT2: Just said it again during the QA part, about ~52 Minutes in

I am really excited about this, I find myself less and less willing to boot into windows to play a game and more and more sticking to games that run on linux.

This raises a bigger question: will games be the catalyst for the breakthrough of the linux desktop?

This raises a bigger question: will games be the catalyst for the breakthrough of the linux desktop?

It most certainly will be. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

awesome :D just need to see what API will be used.

OpenGL is already on Linux. if AMD gets Mantle to cross platform status then that could be an option. if i were them, i would of just used OpenGL regardless of the platform. makes going from one platform to the other much easier. but thats just me.

chris supporting SC on linux, is because crytek is adding the support to it, like he said later "if the tools are there, we can make it"

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Let's just hope it doesn't end like "well, i just selected linux in the export option".

Signatures are stupid.

if it  will be in linux then can we choose between DX11 or OpenGL  on windows ??

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Big win for Linux, and for steamos. even bigger than the witcher 2 reveal.

if it will be in linux then can we choose between DX11 or OpenGL on windows ??

good question. Unlikely. Don't think you can in metro or any of the other linux compatible games, I remember way back in half life 1 valve allowed us to toggle between OpenGL and directx

. if AMD gets Mantle to cross platform status then that could be an option.

mantle is reliant on directx

Big win for Linux, and for steamos. even bigger than the witcher 2 reveal. good question. Unlikely. Don't think you can in metro or any of the other linux compatible games, I remember way back in half life 1 valve allowed us to toggle between OpenGL and directx

i only have one game that allows me but performance is awful

natural selection 2

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

So stoked, hopefully more major and indie titles are launched on Linux too. Gettin real tired of Microsoft's shit these days

So stoked, hopefully more major and indie titles are launched on Linux too. Gettin real tired of Microsoft's shit these days

It's gonna take a lot of convincing to get other AAA titles to develop for Linux. And even then which distro do they support officially? They can't support them all

I too want to drop windows and for a while I did but games man games, I was good for everything else but the only game I had was Dota2 and a bunch of 5-10$ indie games, can't wait for this to come out, I am sold on it if it has Linux support.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

That's quite nice. More games for Linux. I like it.

JjCLdhk.gif

You know I just love your classy and sophisticated interpretation of the usually geeky Linux users  :D

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's gonna take a lot of convincing to get other AAA titles to develop for Linux. And even then which distro do they support officially? They can't support them all

They don't have to. Supporting one supports all others.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

The next Civilization is also going to be launched on Linux and CS:Go and Portal 2 are almost here on Linux. I believe there already are plenty of awesome games on Linux. Also with most games working awesomely under wine like Skyrim, Starcraft and a lot more, there are many many games already on Linux.

Meanwhile I am playing Half Life 2 on Linux.