Which compact camera should I get for filming natural landscapes for several hours at a time?

Hello to everyone in the forum.

I'm planning on exploring several natural trails that exist across the region I live in every now and then, as in once a week, at least, and I wanted to record the whole journey from start to finish so I can keep several "fluid memories" from the experience -- the two most important aspects, aside from image quality and adequate sound capture, would be ruggedness and battery duration (I'd want to be filming at 4K 60 for well over 1h).

I was thinking of either getting a DJI Pocket 2 + accessories because of its nice built-in stabilization and video quality, for its size that is and because it's easy enough to hold onto while walking on rough terrain (assuming I don't trip and fall face flat with the camera 1st), or I'd be getting a GoPro Hero 10 + accessories since It'd definitely withstand a lot more abuse and I might find way to carry it on me without needing to hold onto a stick.

Of both of these options which one do you believe would last longer (battery life) and be the safest to use when walking through rugged, slippery terrain? I think the GoPro Hero 10 has a hot swappable battery (doesn't it?) and could be fixed to my shoulders or forehead with the proper gear, but the DJI Pocket 2 might beat it on the image quality side (but the battery cannot be exchanged if needed during the journey, which might suck).

I'd appreciate any suggestions from you, alternatives are also welcomed if they're indeed better than the two recorders I mentioned!

How wide of a shot do you want? What focal length?

Id probably go gopro for the much better mounting system, and easily swappable battery.

But Id probably drop down to 4k30/4k24 to lower the chances of overheating, improvebattery life and use less storage.

Id also try using your phone, a modern phone can do this easily too.

16 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How wide of a shot do you want? What focal length?

Id probably go gopro for the much better mounting system, and easily swappable battery.

But Id probably drop down to 4k30/4k24 to lower the chances of overheating, improvebattery life and use less storage.

Id also try using your phone, a modern phone can do this easily too.

Thank you for the reply and I apologize for taking so long to respond :(!

I''d definitely prefer a wider shot, so as the capture as many trees, plants and flowers in the shot as possible since I'd have to be worried with what's not on the ground -- so I don't end up on the floor hehe; I don't think I'd be zooming in on things very frequently since my goal is to record the journey as I look around and observe the nature present in and around the trail (I definitely want it to stay in focus, tough, would hate if that didn't happen as I went ahead for hours at a time).

Ohh I see, that makes a lot of sense and I'll make sure to not record beyond 4K 30 whenever journeying into these places and I agree that the GoPro appears to be far better suited for this kind of things over the DJI Pocket 2 (which will probably break if it hits the ground with me).

My current phone is an iPhone SE 2020, and although it's the 128GB version I think I'd need an external extention rod with stabilization such as the DJI OM 5 and the phone's battery would be depleted in less than 2 hours (if it even lasts that long while recording 4K 30).

• 3 weeks later...

You might also want to consider something that supports USB charging while the camera is in operation so you're not limited by the battery life of the camera itself.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy