upgrading for future is impossible

marcuzx

i’m out here just thinking about upgrading to 12900k 128gb ddr4, etc and then I heard that next gen intel will be 24 cores, that’s 8 more cores than previous! so basically i’ll have top of the line cpu for like 7 months, possibly 8 and then the other one will be like 50% better. If I wanna upgrade to it I’ll probably need a new motherboard, etc. Then after that gen next gen will probably be 28 or 32 cores. I really thought they’d stay at 16 but they’re going to 24… This is completely demotivating. Not to mention what will amd release next… So basically spending 2k for the ram, mobo, cpu is a waste of money since in 2, 3 years from now that hardware will be outdated the same way a 9900k is outdated right now. That 9900k feels so sluggish compared to even a 5800x. I remember when I was top of the line anthlon dual core back in the day and it felt amazing and faster than anything they had in the stores for the next 7 years or so. Nowadays these newer cpus really do show their age. Idk if it’s windows 10, 11 or what it is but I remember vista being incredibly smooth and I loved it on my dual core. Nowadays you go to the store you try a brand new pc, cpu and you’re like wow, my current one is junk. Back in the day you’d go to the store and be like wow these new pcs and cpus are junk, mine is better! 

Today’s market is designed for you to have to upgrade every 3 years without a doubt. 128gb isn’t future proof and neither is 16 cores. But I like this. Imagine if cars, supplements,  video games, etc were as competitive as this. We wouldn’t have any junk products anymore. I love this but at the same time it’s impossible to have an epic pc for more than one year. imagine if video game developers were like this. we wouldn’t have junk such as cod mw2, etc. i also wish case and motherboard manufacturers were this competitive yet they release the same junk year after year after year. i swear if 5950x hits 500$ im getting it instead. im not even going to bother having top of the line because that’s impossible to maintain unless you wanna upgrade every couple of months 

Hey dude calm down.

Also use some enters and such in your text so it isn't a blob.

It's literally in your head. A 9900k to this day is a amazing gaming cpu and you don't need more. Hell you can literally have a i7 2600k from 2011 and as long as you have a ok gpu still play any game at 60fps or more.

You are worrying about something you shouldn't worry about. You have never needed the highest end hardware to play a game.

What is happening here is that you are falling for what is called consumerism. Companies want to make you feel like you NEED the next best thing but really you don't and you can easily keep using what you have. That and some tlc to your current device goes a looooonnnnggggg way to make it snappy again and all it takes is an hour or so to basically make it perform like new again.

I can tell you right now that the only time you really see a bump in the need to upgrade is 2 years after the next generation of consoles is out as then the old ones start to be left behind. This is when games start being fully made with the new specifications in mind and you see a spike in required specifications.

However this also means that if your system is better than the new consoles it will literally last the entire generation without needing an upgrade. Yeah sure at the end you'll probably be running on lower settings and stuff but that is normal as games get more advanced and there are more options to turn on or raise the quality. But at that point the consoles also won't be able to run those fancy settings so again you are still not behind.

This is the reason people who got a r9 290 + i7 4770 are literally to this day 8+years later still running current gen games at better than ps4 pro/xbox one x settings and framerates. Didn't even have to be that high end of a card the next step down was enough too.

So again don't worry about it. Buy the best product you can BUT don't overspend. People that bought a titan instead of a 780ti basically had to replace it at the same time as the other because that 10% extra performance didn't really end up mattering in the end.

So basically get a solid mid range system that you upgrade the card in after 4-5 years and ride it out then. You'll have a better experience overall whilst spending less and you won't fall for the buy more all the time trap.

I am an example of this my 6700hq + 970m laptop I used it till about 9 months ago as my main system for drawing, 3d creation,... yes I could have used a far more powerful system but it was enough. I moved to a desktop that I got for really cheap earlier than planned but since it was an amazing deal I went for it. Currently my 2700x and vega 64 are totally fine for my work but since this is becoming more and more my job I did decide to spend a bit of money to help me along the way and bought a busted up lenovo legion with a rtx 2060 to help render whilst I keep working on my main desktop.

I never bought more than I needed and waited till I noticed that yes I do need it and don't just want it. It's the same reason I asked the question yesterday about the new cpu since I have an offer to get it for 250€ instead of 600€ and I can actually use it + make someone else really happy with my old 2700x. I did want a better cpu and knew that in the near future I would need it but just waited since it wouldn't be a problem.

Top of the line things have always only been top of the line for a few months, nothing new.

I'm running a build from 2014 and it's still just fine. 

If you were happy with your old Athlon for several years you can just as much be as happy with a 9900K for several years... yes it's not top of the line anymore and there's better stuff, but there definitely was way better stuff 7 years after you got your Athlon too. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just sell it as used every year and build a new PC with minimum loss of value 😄

(Keep the storage device for less hassle)

To people seeing this reply: What do you think a $1000 PC for example is worth as used after 1 year?

1 hour ago, Filingo said:

Just sell it as used every year and build a new PC with minimum loss of value 😄

(Keep the storage device for less hassle)

To people seeing this reply: What do you think a $1000 PC for example is worth as used after 1 year?

Upgrading every year doesn't make sense unless you always wanted the very best, in which case you'd take a huge loss, 30-50% I'd say.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

man i play on 60hz 1080p and that’s it.  the only reason i consider upgrading is because i mine and my equipment basically pays off for itself within a year…

i play some cod, battlefield, runescape, forza, gran turismo, wow, fifa, arcanists, but i mainly play osrs/rs3 which require a single/dual core or a quad core cpu and a decent gpu which i already have. 

I’ll wait and see what microcenter has to offer during blak friday. Id get a 11700k over a 10850k or a 5800x/5900x/5950x over a 11700k perhaps? might even go for 12th gen i5 i7 i9, gotta wait and see. 

kind of stressed out about all this… I just wanna get a cpu that’ll last me at least 5 years. I don’t like upgrading too often because I like to form a bond with a pc that I use, same goes for a car, etc.

if it wasn’t for mining i’d be upgrading every 8 years tbh. only issue is if i build top of the line pc then i need a thousand dollar monitor, then i need this and that, etc. you can’t upgrade one thing and not upgrade the other. my current monitor is worth like 100$? got a mx279h and then i’d need s more expensive chair, then i need better keyboard, mouse, hdmi cable. it’s a never ending upgrade 

this is why i hate upgrading because you can’t just upgrade a single component 

Tbh you can just get a 5900x or something and a mid range gpu, just upgrade the gpu every 2-3 years since thats the part that gets obselete the fastest, cpu on the other hand not so much esp when now cpu architecture gains arent as significant as they used to be

I have a c2d e8400 system that im considering to use as a main rig for now cause my dads craptop is literal trash compared to it, sure its 13 years old but with the somewhat high end p45 mb (p5q) and some 1066 ddr2 it runs pretty well for basic use, idk why but opening something is basically instant on this thing even though its using an ancient ass 80gb hdd which is supposed to be extremely slow, ah well maybe thats something to do with the high fsb + ram tuning + w7 (fk w10), what used to be a somewhat high end system 13 years ago is now good enough only for basic use

Spoiler

And before someone goes "bUt WiNdOwS 7 iSnT sEcUrE aNyMoRe" yea whatever i dont care about that cause no important data on it, and i can just use cmd + safe mode anyways if i get some malware (assuming its not a full on virus), if not i can reinstall w7

But thats not considering in the past few years architectural improvements are slowing down quite abit so for a 5900x to be good for basic use only youd prob have to wait ~15 years or whenever non silicon/semiconductor cpus come along but again its hard to predict the future

Gpus on the other hand get outdated every ~3 years since they are still improving and adding new tech at a fast rate so thats the thing you should be worrying about

1 hour ago, marcuzx said:

man i play on 60hz 1080p and that’s it.  the only reason i consider upgrading is because i mine and my equipment basically pays off for itself within a year…

i play some cod, battlefield, runescape, forza, gran turismo, wow, fifa, arcanists, but i mainly play osrs/rs3 which require a single/dual core or a quad core cpu and a decent gpu which i already have. 

I’ll wait and see what microcenter has to offer during blak friday. Id get a 11700k over a 10850k or a 5800x/5900x/5950x over a 11700k perhaps? might even go for 12th gen i5 i7 i9, gotta wait and see. 

kind of stressed out about all this… I just wanna get a cpu that’ll last me at least 5 years. I don’t like upgrading too often because I like to form a bond with a pc that I use, same goes for a car, etc.

if it wasn’t for mining i’d be upgrading every 8 years tbh. only issue is if i build top of the line pc then i need a thousand dollar monitor, then i need this and that, etc. you can’t upgrade one thing and not upgrade the other. my current monitor is worth like 100$? got a mx279h and then i’d need s more expensive chair, then i need better keyboard, mouse, hdmi cable. it’s a never ending upgrade 

Black friday is for common consumer electronics, old stock and bad selling products. Rarely do you see an actual discount and not a fake one.

With fake I mean the price 2 weeks ago is 50$ now it is saying special offer 50$ was 70$. Makes it seem like a good deal no? Well actually it's the same price just a fake discount.

As I said get a cpu better than the consoles one and ride the ps5 / xbox series generation out with it.

Why? Why do you need a better monitor? If it's good enough for you don't upgrade. If you do there is no need at all to spend a lot of money.

I mean look a gigabyte g27q or m27q gets you basically 95% of what those 1000$ 27 inch gaming monitors offer but it's 300$ and good luck noticing the difference.

Is your current chair bad ergonomically? If no then keep it if yes then get a PROPER CHAIR NOT A GAMING CHAIR THOSE ARE TERRIBLE FOR YOU BACK.

Why do you need a new mouse or keyboard? Are the current ones working well and decent? If so keep em.

Why would you even need to upgrade a damn hdmi cable? It's a hdmi cable as long as it is the version you need to achieve the refresh rate and resolution required you DO NOT NEED A NEW ONE.

You see where I'm getting at here? You have in your mind that when you buy a new computer everything related to it has to be new and expensive. But it doesn't. It shouldn't even be something you think about.

Get what you ACTUALLY NEED and not what you want or feel pressured to get.

Like no joke for 1500$-1700$ you can get a badass gaming pc and ride out this console generation for the next 8 ish years on it (time depends on how long these consoles will last) without a hitch.

I completly agree with @jaslionhere, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Unless you REAAALLY need to. I built myself a PC in the beginning of 2019 with a friend. It was a nice music pc with an RX 570 8GB if I wanted to try out some games. With the pandemic I found myself gaming more and using the music stuff so I decided to do a great upgrade:
From the old system: Ryzen 7 1800X / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz / Gigabyte Aorus B450i pro / 250GB Samsung 970 Evo / MSI Armor RX 570 8GB / Corsair 550w TX / Fractal define nano s

To a new one: Ryzen 9 5900X / 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz / Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro V2 / 1TB WD Black SN850 / MSI Gaming X RX 6700XT / Seasonic Focus Plus 850w / Fractal Meshify 2 Compact

Of course the upgrade wasn't really necessary, but the old system had me limited in gaming and wasn't build for that. With the new one, I can just insert a new GPU in 2 or 3 years and be up to date. There wasn't really a difference in music production, only in gaming. So I'd say:

Get a good starting point PC, a current gen CPU with high enough clocks and enough cores to stay futureproof (6 or even better 8), a good Motherboard and a case with good airflow. The PSU should allow for some headroom and then you'll be fine. LTT did a Video once on gaming on different SSD types (gen 4, gen 3 and sata) and they could not tell a difference. So if you got a high quality SSD and direct storage isn't a thing, then it literally doesn't care.

AND:

A PC is modular, so you can always upgrade around most of the parts. Sure you'll be bottlenecking, but keeping these as small as possible is the art. For example, my GPU bottlenecks my CPU in 4K, but in 1080p it unlocks the full potential of my GPU, so no bottleneck there.

3 hours ago, marcuzx said:

Just buy a CPU when you need it, they ALL last 5 years or so.  Everyone has given fantastic advice, but I am unsure you're even listening.  Your anxiety is 100% in control here, I hope you come to a good place with it.

But again, just buy what you want, you have the money and make so much mining.  

Didn't we cover all that?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

On 10/18/2021 at 2:26 AM, marcuzx said:

i’m out here just thinking about upgrading to 12900k 128gb ddr4, etc and then I heard that next gen intel will be 24 cores, that’s 8 more cores than previous! so basically i’ll have top of the line cpu for like 7 months, possibly 8 and then the other one will be like 50% better. If I wanna upgrade to it I’ll probably need a new motherboard, etc. Then after that gen next gen will probably be 28 or 32 cores. I really thought they’d stay at 16 but they’re going to 24… This is completely demotivating. Not to mention what will amd release next… So basically spending 2k for the ram, mobo, cpu is a waste of money since in 2, 3 years from now that hardware will be outdated the same way a 9900k is outdated right now. That 9900k feels so sluggish compared to even a 5800x. I remember when I was top of the line anthlon dual core back in the day and it felt amazing and faster than anything they had in the stores for the next 7 years or so. Nowadays these newer cpus really do show their age. Idk if it’s windows 10, 11 or what it is but I remember vista being incredibly smooth and I loved it on my dual core. Nowadays you go to the store you try a brand new pc, cpu and you’re like wow, my current one is junk. Back in the day you’d go to the store and be like wow these new pcs and cpus are junk, mine is better! 

Today’s market is designed for you to have to upgrade every 3 years without a doubt. 128gb isn’t future proof and neither is 16 cores. But I like this. Imagine if cars, supplements,  video games, etc were as competitive as this. We wouldn’t have any junk products anymore. I love this but at the same time it’s impossible to have an epic pc for more than one year. imagine if video game developers were like this. we wouldn’t have junk such as cod mw2, etc. i also wish case and motherboard manufacturers were this competitive yet they release the same junk year after year after year. i swear if 5950x hits 500$ im getting it instead. im not even going to bother having top of the line because that’s impossible to maintain unless you wanna upgrade every couple of months 

I see where you’re coming from, yeah yeah technology will always advance but, that’s just life. Things will always advance, and even today the 9900K is a great cpu still. You’re be fine. Plus, the better technology gets, the more diminishing returns. 🙂

how are you doing today

On 10/18/2021 at 5:26 AM, marcuzx said:

That 9900k feels so sluggish compared to even a 5800x.

I have an i9 9900k and a 5800x and they feel exactly the same. I tested them with the same GPU and the frames were about the same as well.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

==moved to off topic==

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

On 10/18/2021 at 11:26 AM, marcuzx said:

Today’s market is designed for you to have to upgrade every 3 years without a doubt.

Not at all.

128gb isn’t future proof neither is 16 cores

Nonsense. 16 GB is still fine for gaming, get 32 if you really want to. 128 GB will last you a long time. 16 cores is also plenty. My 4-core 7700k is still fine even, although games do finally start to take advantage of multiple cores. What you are realisign is simply that you should buy for your current needs, and that number of cores and gigabytes of RAM is not the measure to go by. 512 GB of DDR memory wouldn't help you now and neither would a 64-core Pentium 3, because stuff has gotten faster.

i’m out here just thinking about upgrading to 12900k 128gb ddr4

This is absolutely not necessary in the slightest. Especially if

8 hours ago, marcuzx said:

man i play on 60hz 1080p and that’s it.

is true. I have a 7700k +1080 Ti which is still completely fine for 1080p 60 FPS. Only recently, depending on the game, has it started to struggle maintaining 60 FPS and in those cases I can usually get it back by turning down settings to medium or something.

Hardware is obsolete the moment you buy it. The next king of the hill is always on the horizon. As soon as you buy the 3080, the 3080 Ti will come out a year later. When you buy that, a year later the 4000 series will come. Rinse, lather, repeat. You don't need to own the absolute best of the best for 5 years straight and if you do then you have to accept that that means upgrading every year.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 10/18/2021 at 5:26 PM, marcuzx said:

That 9900k feels so sluggish compared to even a 5800x

you need to calm down and recognise that both of them are still strong gaming chips

even the 7700k is still fine in most games

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

On 10/18/2021 at 8:26 PM, marcuzx said:

i’m out here just thinking about upgrading to 12900k 128gb ddr4,

13 hours ago, marcuzx said:

man i play on 60hz 1080p and that’s it.

Absolutely collosal overkill and a massive waste of money 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I think "better stuff" is not always better stuff in reality.

Graphics:

Some time ago 1080p was invented to make pixels small enough so they are not visible to the human eye at the recommended distance.

Sometimes I do some webdesign and image manipulation, so I went for 1440p for a closer look. But do we really need more than that?

4K, 8K, 10K? No pixels visible. Limit reached. Anything more is just a waste of processing power and money 😄

My RTX 2070 can handle 1440p at 60 FPS for most games, so I see no reason to upgrade. 60 Hz is pretty smooth and personally I dont see much of a difference to 120 Hz or more.

Boot:
There are SSDs, which make a system boot in less than 15 seconds. Yeah, time is money but it's totally fine.

Audio/Noise:

I think we dont really need sample rates of 96 kHz or higher. I mean... a human cant hear frequencies higher than 24 kHz.
The only thing where components can improve in my opinion, is the noise level. I can hear my graphics card and my HDD a little bit.

So another/bigger SSD could be an upgrade, but as soon I put on my headset, I hear nothing.

We have reached our senses' limits. What can there be coming, which could make a huge difference?
I mean sure, in a virtual scene, light reflections' complexity can go to infinity but we already reached a level where we almost cant tell a difference to reality anymore ^^

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

On 10/19/2021 at 12:25 PM, marcuzx said:

I don’t like upgrading too often because I like to form a bond with a pc that I use, same goes for a car, etc.

I like that.

We put so much time, thoughts and love into our builds and we spend many hours with it.

Did you guys name your PCs? (I didn't, but my PC makes me calm. Just knowing it works, it will not dissappoint me and it gives me the freedom to do a lot of stuff. Gaming, image manipulation, writing letters, watching movies or videos, buy stuff online, ...)

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

hahahaha don't buy a tesla then bro, they don't wait for a new model year to release upgrades its a weekly/monthly thing. Like my car was made in the first week of Dec 2014 and it didn't come with a heated steering wheel, but the cars made in the 3rd week and beyond of that same month had a heated wheel stock.

I have since retrofitted a heated wheel on my car so now it has one because i know a thing or two about modifying stuff.

You cant not buy something because there will be a better version of the same thing down the road. That's just a stupid way of looking at things. Buy the thing you want and if it gets better in the future... no shit it did that's how things work. the next best thing is always gonna be a short while down the road.

Remember the 1990s, where you had to shop at a store and by the time you were home, your new system was already obsolete if you didn't hurry? Well, it wasn't exactly that bad, but just keep in mind that during the 1990s, the Dreamcast released like two years after the N64 came out. Things have gotten way better. You can actually play newer games on slightly older hardware just fine. Your entire system isn't suddenly completely obsolete six months after you bought it.