Nvidia GeForce GTX 880 DirectX 12 Graphics Card Detailed (Leaked)

Snyper

The tech website TechPowerUp.com have released details on the upcoming gtx880 based on the new Maxwell architecture.

Featuring:

• 20nm GM204 silicon
  • 7.9 billion transistors
  • 3,200 CUDA cores
  • 200 TMUs
  • 32 ROPs
  • 5.7 TFLOP/s single-precision floating-point throughput
  • 256-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface
  • 4 GB standard memory amount
  • 238 GB/s memory bandwidth
  • Clock speeds of 900 MHz core, 950 MHz GPU Boost, 7.40 GHz memory
  • 230W board 

With the ongoing battle to remain at the top of the headlines between AMD and Nvidia is this leak just to stay ahead of the competition or a legitimate specification detail of the upcoming Graphics Card?

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/199750/nvidia-geforce-gtx-880-detailed.html

The picture on the article looks like a reference GTX 760. I call bullshit

repost

and i still believe its complete BS

just look at the memory bandwidth come on lol

try harder next time

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

The picture on the article looks like a reference GTX 760. I call bullshit

the pic has nothing to do with a 880GTX they just added it there

they got the info from these guys 

they only posted it

http://pctuning.tyden.cz/component/content/article/1-aktualni-zpravy/29583-exklusivne-geforce-gtx-880-se-predstavuje

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Basic math dictates that a 3200 CUDA core Maxwell GPU in 20nm would be 525mm+ large, making it nearly as large as GK110 no way is that a GM204 size chip.
Definitely not a GTX 880.

(750 Ti) 640 Maxwell cores on 28nm are 147mm large, multiply the core count by 5 to get 3200 cores
So 640 X 5 = 3200
Now multiply the die size by 5
So 147mm X 5 = 735mm
A 3200 Maxwell core GPU would be a whopping 735mm in 28nm WAY past the reticle limit making it impossible to manufacture, now let's shrink it to 20nm.
735 X 20/28 = 525mm. This is very nearly the reticle limit for 20nm TSMC HPM so what you're looking it is a GM210 not a GM204.
The GTX 880/GM 204 will have 2048 Maxwell cores at 334mm.

• 32 ROPs

..yeah, that's definitively not accurate, there's no way they'd release it with just 32, when the 750ti has 16 and 780 has 48. The least I'd believe them releasing for it would be 40.

So, taking this with even a grain of salt is a bit too much salt.

"Hidden optical drive, crouching PC-builder."

My dick is semi-hard for this. And for those saying 4GB is not enough for 4K, fuck your 4K, the current cards can't even churn out decent FPS on high settings in graphics demanding game... at least not for long.

Only 32 ROPs?

Those must be some damn powerful ROPs to have less than the 780. 

230 watts though. Thats impressive if true

Lol dat memory bandwidth. :D

And if this were true, that gpu wouldn't be much faster than 780ti while only 20w less power consumption.

Curing shitposts by shitposts

there is now way it has 3200 Shader units it would just be insane imagine if the shader performance is 30% and if you add %30+ shaders that would be %90 more performance than the 780Ti D:

Basic math dictates that a 3200 CUDA core Maxwell GPU in 20nm would be 525mm+ large, making it nearly as large as GK110 no way is that a GM204 size chip.

Definitely not a GTX 880.

(750 Ti) 640 Maxwell cores on 28nm are 147mm large, multiply the core count by 5 to get 3200 cores

So 640 X 5 = 3200

Now multiply the die size by 5

So 147mm X 5 = 735mm

A 3200 Maxwell core GPU would be a whopping 735mm in 28nm WAY past the reticle limit making it impossible to manufacture, now let's shrink it to 20nm.

735 X 20/28 = 525mm. This is very nearly the reticle limit for 20nm TSMC HPM so what you're looking it is a GM210 not a GM204.

The GTX 880/GM 204 will have 2048 Maxwell cores at 334mm.

Math is way off.

You're multiplying an area by a length ratio in the last step. What you should be doing is multiplying by an area ratio - each side of the die shrinks by 20/28, so it's 735*(20/28)^2 = 375mm^2. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Math is way off.

You're multiplying an area by a length ratio in the last step. What you should be doing is multiplying by an area ratio - each side of the die shrinks by 20/28, so it's 735*(20/28)^2 = 375mm^2. 

The minimum feature of a process node i.e. 28nm or 20nm is the distance between source & drain in a gate. It's measured in nm not nm². It's length not area.

tsmc-process-fig1.gif

If we apply your logic then shrinking a GTX 280 from 65nm to 55nm would bring it down from 576 to 293mm but in reality it goes down to 470mm (Nvidia did this in 2009). which is only 17mm off my own calculations.

578 x 55/65 = 487mm. My equation is way closer than yours.

source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_NVIDIA_Graphics_Processing_Units#GeForce_8_.288xxx.29_Series

It's NOT going to be 256-bit, I guarantee it.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

The minimum feature of a process node i.e. 28nm or 20nm is the distance between source & drain in a gate. It's measured in nm not nm². It's length not area.

tsmc-process-fig1.gif

If we apply your logic then shrinking a GTX 280 from 65nm to 55nm would bring it down from 576 to 293mm but in reality it goes down to 470mm (Nvidia did this in 2009). which is only 17mm off my own calculations.

578 x 55/65 = 487mm. My equation is way closer than yours.

source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_NVIDIA_Graphics_Processing_Units#GeForce_8_.288xxx.29_Series

I'm well aware that the manufacturing process is based on a length scale, but the number that you chose for the die size of  the 750Ti is actually an area. Go look up the specs. It's listed as 148 mm^2. Die size is always specified as an Area, and not a Length. 

As for the anomaly with the GTX 280, there could be other factors that contributed to a larger die size. CUDA cores aren't the only thing that goes into a GPU.

From a mathematical point of view though, applying a length ratio to an area isn't sound unless only one of the dimensions is being reduced. If you're reducing both the length and width, you have to apply the length scale to both. 

e: I have no idea where you've learned Math, but 576*(55/65)^2 = 412; the remaining 58 mm^2 could account for other factors. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

i call BS since the factory the makes nVidia's chips said it would be a while before 20nm would be available for gpus like late 2014 although i had hoped it would come out in Q1 of 2014 we are now in Q2 and now news from nVidia directly

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

i call BS since the factory the makes nVidia's chips said it would be a while before 20nm would be available for gpus like late 2014 although i had hoped it would come out in Q1 of 2014 we are now in Q2 and now news from nVidia directly

Technically, Maxwell was released Q1 2014...