How To Combine 2 ISPs For Free?

Isaac Foster

So i have 2 ISPs no.1 is a 40 Mbps and ISP no.2 is 60 Mbps, So combining them i will got a good 100 Mbps. 10MB/S!
But i don't have a mikrotik device. Maybe i can combine the ISPs without using the mikrotik device?

Basically all advanced routers let you do this, like pfsense, opnsense, untangle, sonicwall, fortinet. And many of those have free versions.

But unless your bonding(where you need anouther server), or your service supports multipath, your limited to the speed of one isp at a time.

1 minute ago, ItzMadMan said:

How about FiberHome?

What do you mean? Is there a product your talking about? That seems to be a network equipment company. Normally home routers don't support dual isps.

15 minutes ago, ItzMadMan said:

So do i have to buy something to combine 2 ISPs?

Yes, @Electronics Wizardynoted, you have to use a piece of networking gear that supports bonding 2 WAN connections together.

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/Bonding

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

26 minutes ago, ItzMadMan said:

Basically, yes. Combining two ISPs as such isn't possible. Whatever service you're connecting to would have to accept requests coming from one IP but then send responses to two IPs.

As Wizard said, you'd need another server on the internet that does this for you, acting as a proxy between you and regular services. This server would need enough bandwidth to saturate the combined ISPs to make it worth it.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

8 hours ago, ItzMadMan said:

There are multi-WAN routers that can load-balance/failover multiple ISP connections for your network, but they're not going to provide your clients with a combined speed of all connections.

If your aim is to get faster speed, then you'll need to find a service in your city that does what @Eigenvektor suggested. But at the price you're expected to pay for such a service, you might as well just upgrade to a higher tier connection and discontinue the other.

13 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

There are multi-WAN routers that can load-balance/failover multiple ISP connections for your network, but they're not going to provide your clients with a combined speed of all connections.

Not strictly true as most downloads (games, Windows Updates, loading a web page) fire off multiple concurrent downloads so can easily balance across two ISPs, the benefit starts to degrade after three and become quite hard to consistently achieve over four.

Its also harder to do when you have different ISP speeds like I do, you'll tend to be held back by the slowest connection.

I actually documented all my personal experiments on my website.

The biggest drawback is uploads can only use one connection so will just hit a random ISP and be limited by that upload speed.  To combine uploading needs a box at the other end to do full bonding.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7