Does it worth upgrading router to take advantage of CAT7?

e22big

I have a rather old but pretty good router that give me over 700 Mbp over my CAT 6e ethernet cable. I recently bought a CAT 7 for use with my Chromecast but I no longer need it, would it worths spending some money on a new router that can support CAT 7 just to use this cable with my PC? I already have more speed than the plan I've paid for, would there be any benefit at all with a new router?  

Does it worth upgrading router to take advantage of CAT7?

For you and for this use case? Absolutely not.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

12 minutes ago, e22big said:

I already have more speed than the plan I've paid for, would there be any benefit at all with a new router?  

There's no need at all. Only time I'd see upgrading the router is to have a longer range on Wi-Fi, depending on how good the router is. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

16 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

There's no need at all. Only time I'd see upgrading the router is to have a longer range on Wi-Fi, depending on how good the router is. 

To be fair, I actually have another good reason. My mom is using an ISP router on the ground floor of our home, if I buy myself a new router I could give her my current one so that she could have a better Wifi on her space. 

I just hope I could at least get something for myself out of this as well.

1 minute ago, e22big said:

To be fair, I actually have another good reason. My mom is using an ISP router on the ground floor of our home, if I buy myself a new router I could give her my current one so that she could have a better Wifi on her space. 

Sure, you can always do that. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

6 hours ago, e22big said:

If that's on the same network, I hope you have it in Access Point mode.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

11 hours ago, e22big said:

you can try MashAI from Asus, prob other companies have sth similar like access points, but here you have multiple routers connect between each other that serve as a boost. CAT7 cable would support higher speeds with the router that can take advantage of that, hence even CAT6a would be enough, but those are only tools that can support those speeds. The one who carries that speed is coming from your ISP or ISR device. In orther to get higher speeds you would have to talk with ISP and set or unlock higher speeds which costs more money or change a subscription package you are running on. Usually at homes you get around 1Gb as a standard or maximum somewhere, to get more than that it would cost a lot more. At least that's to my understanding. 

If you are paying fix amount of money for 700Mb/s connection, then no router or cable will increase that speed. Usually at homes if they have speed like that they can go up to 1Gb since they have router and cables that support maximum of that. 

It would be different however if you said you have subs for 2.5Gb and you have only 700Mb/s. then that would just call for an upgrade of either cable or router of both. 

But what you can achieve with better router is higher WiFi speeds.   

On 10/3/2021 at 6:03 AM, Klemen said:

you can try MashAI from Asus, prob other companies have sth similar like access points, but here you have multiple routers connect between each other that serve as a boost. CAT7 cable would support higher speeds with the router that can take advantage of that, hence even CAT6a would be enough, but those are only tools that can support those speeds. The one who carries that speed is coming from your ISP or ISR device. In orther to get higher speeds you would have to talk with ISP and set or unlock higher speeds which costs more money or change a subscription package you are running on. Usually at homes you get around 1Gb as a standard or maximum somewhere, to get more than that it would cost a lot more. At least that's to my understanding. 

If you are paying fix amount of money for 700Mb/s connection, then no router or cable will increase that speed. Usually at homes if they have speed like that they can go up to 1Gb since they have router and cables that support maximum of that. 

It would be different however if you said you have subs for 2.5Gb and you have only 700Mb/s. then that would just call for an upgrade of either cable or router of both. 

But what you can achieve with better router is higher WiFi speeds.   

Thanks, that's informative, I sub for only 600 Mbts and already have a near 700 so I am happy. 

Well, judging by the response from everyone, guess my only option is to just mothball my 6e cable. Too bad, I hope I could make some use out of that.

3 hours ago, e22big said:

Thanks, that's informative, I sub for only 600 Mbts and already have a near 700 so I am happy. 

Well, judging by the response from everyone, guess my only option is to just mothball my 6e cable. Too bad, I hope I could make some use out of that.

I wouldn't be too heart broken about storing it. A cat6a cable is about 50 cents per foot. Unless you have a whole spool...

On 10/2/2021 at 6:23 AM, e22big said:

I have a rather old but pretty good router that give me over 700 Mbp over my CAT 6e ethernet cable. I recently bought a CAT 7 for use with my Chromecast but I no longer need it, would it worths spending some money on a new router that can support CAT 7 just to use this cable with my PC? I already have more speed than the plan I've paid for, would there be any benefit at all with a new router?  

Cat 7 is only ISO certified and not TIA certified its the TIA certification that matters with Ethernet. Further more Cat 5e is good up to 2.5 Gbps, Cat 6 can do up to 5 Gbps and Cat6a can do up to 10 Gbps. There is a Cat8 cable that I think is rated for 40 Gbps, but its for very short distances you would find in a data center and there is currently no equipment that can do those speeds. 

Your ISP's equipment is probably limited to Gigabit speeds anyway. So Cat5e would be fine to use. So anything higher would only benefit you if you need high speed local network access or if your ISP were to offer greater than Gigabit speeds. For example my ISP offers 1.2 Gbps down and 35 Mbps up as one of its speed tiers. In reality if they have the bandwidth available they will tack on a 20% speed boost for all tiers. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

24 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Cat 7 is only ISO certified and not TIA certified its the TIA certification that matters with Ethernet. Further more Cat 5e is good up to 2.5 Gbps, Cat 6 can do up to 5 Gbps and Cat6a can do up to 10 Gbps. There is a Cat8 cable that I think is rated for 40 Gbps, but its for very short distances you would find in a data center and there is currently no equipment that can do those speeds. 

Your ISP's equipment is probably limited to Gigabit speeds anyway. So Cat5e would be fine to use. So anything higher would only benefit you if you need high speed local network access or if your ISP were to offer greater than Gigabit speeds. For example my ISP offers 1.2 Gbps down and 35 Mbps up as one of its speed tiers. In reality if they have the bandwidth available they will tack on a 20% speed boost for all tiers. 

I mean technically even ISO certification is fine BUT nobody actually sells with the required TERA connectors to meet that spec so it's basically useless in 99% of cases.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 hours ago, Lurick said:

I mean technically even ISO certification is fine BUT nobody actually sells with the required TERA connectors to meet that spec so it's basically useless in 99% of cases.

Every other Ethernet cable has the TIA cert. Also most Cat7 cables probably dont meet spec any ways. Further more I dont understand why every one jumps on the Cat 7 or 8 bandwagon. Some will say "its cheaper". Ever thought why they would sell a "better cable" as cheaper? Probably because it doesnt meet quality standards. If you want to future proof buy Cat 6, if you want to really be good maybe Cat 6a. I rather pay more and know I have a cable that follows standards and quality. 

Cat 7 is just a way for scammers to unload shitty cables that may more may not work. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.