300$ max budget headphones.

Fosh612
25 minutes ago, Fosh612 said:

I mean visible wires that aren't built into the headphones 

Ah the ones off the headband yeah it's fine. Will only break if you literally intentionally cut it

16 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Ah the ones off the headband yeah it's fine. Will only break if you literally intentionally cut it

Ok. Also Ik your really big on beyerdynamic, I've heard that the V shaped frequency sounds strange for some. Wondering if that would even be a sell off

On 10/2/2021 at 8:38 AM, DrunkenPanda said:

I'd go with Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro or DT 990 Pro phones and a modmic.... both phones circumaural so they don't abuse your ears and priced ~$150.... the 770's are closed and give better bass... the 990's are open and have a better soundstage... (there are other brands that are worth a look at the price point--AudioTechnica/Sennheiser specifically, but I use Beyerdynamic, like their sound curve better, and can vouch for them specifically) they sound amazing, have good build quality, will last forever with a few earpad changes, and they aren't reaching into that super-audiophile $500+ paying for the last .1% garbage... make sure you get the 80 ohm version if you don't have a DAC or headphone preamp

I haven't heard a headset that sounded remotely comparable to nice phones... a modmic is like $50... it's worth it to not have to deal with average-awful sound IMO

Also, if you're going to be wearing them often for long periods at a time... do not get noise cancelling phones... they will ruin your ears... just get closed ones... it will isolate you enough and not program a cancellation tone into your ear bones

Is the v shaped frequency too much?

9 hours ago, Fosh612 said:

Ok. Also Ik your really big on beyerdynamic, I've heard that the V shaped frequency sounds strange for some. Wondering if that would even be a sell off

That's really only a concern for the dt 990 and 770. Tygr is not super vs haped it's warm with a slight hint of brightness. And the dt 880 is neutral bright. 

7 hours ago, rice guru said:

That's really only a concern for the dt 990 and 770. Tygr is not super vs haped it's warm with a slight hint of brightness. And the dt 880 is neutral bright. 

Have you used the 880?? Would u recommend for gaming also how would this compared to sennheiser 560s or the 58x from massdrop

1 hour ago, Fosh612 said:

Have you used the 880?? Would u recommend for gaming also how would this compared to sennheiser 560s or the 58x from massdrop

Yes It's my current daily driver. It in my opinion has better imaging and has a wider soundstage than both sennheisers. Has a similar sound signature to the 560s which is neutral bright. It's has a nicer more pleasant bass response than the 560s and is tighter sounding and more refined than both sennheisers. Where it loses pretty hard is drivability. I use a asgard 3 to power my 600 ohm 880 but will run fine off a $100 liquid spark or magni 3+. Why I reccomended the tygr 300r as it has the same gaming performance with a slightly different sound signature , but much easier to drive.

3 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Yes It's my current daily driver. It in my opinion has better imaging and has a wider soundstage than both sennheisers. Has a similar sound signature to the 560s which is neutral bright. It's has a nicer more pleasant bass response than the 560s and is tighter sounding and more refined than both sennheisers. Where it loses pretty hard is drivability. I use a asgard 3 to power my 600 ohm 880 but will run fine off a $100 liquid spark or magni 3+. Why I reccomended the tygr 300r as it has the same gaming performance with a slightly different sound signature , but much easier to drive.

I would just get the 80 ohm version. Does it really make a difference? Also I have heard treable and bass is lackluster. Is that true?

2 minutes ago, Fosh612 said:

I would just get the 80 ohm version. Does it really make a difference? 

2 minutes ago, Fosh612 said:

I would just get the 80 ohm version. Does it really make a difference? 

1 hour ago, Fosh612 said:

I would just get the 80 ohm version. Does it really make a difference? Also I have heard treable and bass is lackluster. Is that true?

80 ohm and 32 ohm versions very much so. The 250  are pretty good the 600 ohm if you can drive it is great really good treble detail but also it's forward and the bass is tight and not boomy but present the most lackluster part of it is honestly mids. As for the price the hd 6xx does mids way better

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

80 ohm and 32 ohm versions very much so. The 250  are pretty good the 600 ohm if you can drive it is great really good treble detail but also it's forward and the bass is tight and not boomy but present the most lackluster part of it is honestly mids. As for the price the hd 6xx does mids way better

So are you recommending the 250, the 80 version. Which one 

On 9/30/2021 at 2:03 PM, Action_Johnson said:

I'd agree with this. I have a set of Logitech G Pro's and they're fine for $40, but that's it. They needed more EQ than they should have, and they're still a bit too flat and boomy. Mic sounds OKAY.

What about beyerdynamic? Lots of people recommend their stuff 

59 minutes ago, Fosh612 said:

So are you recommending the 250, the 80 version. Which one 

I'm reccomending 250 and 600 ohm. If you want lower get the tygr 300r instead

4 hours ago, rice guru said:

Thank you

7 hours ago, rice guru said:

I'm sorry for all the inconveniences but it's very appreciated. I never used headphones like these so idk what I want. I get it, it's all based on preference and opinion but I want a great pair of headphones for singleplayer rpgs that will immerse me and make my music sound unbelievable (I usually listen to calm steady music to a bit more pumped up music like alternative rock, if that helps.) If a higher ohm headphones are really worth it idk if they are, I don't know if I want a higher or lower ohm headphone. I don't think I care about what may say is booming bass or shrieking highs. So if the 880 is still ehat you recommend. I might just get the 250 or 600. Could you send me an dac and amp that you like? Thanks so much

On 9/30/2021 at 2:03 PM, Action_Johnson said:

I'd agree with this. I have a set of Logitech G Pro's and they're fine for $40, but that's it. They needed more EQ than they should have, and they're still a bit too flat and boomy. Mic sounds OKAY.

I never used headphones like these so idk what I want. I get it, it's all based on preference and opinion but I want a great pair of headphones for singleplayer rpgs that will immerse me and make my music sound unbelievable (I usually listen to calm steady music to a bit more pumped up music like alternative rock, if that helps.) If a higher ohm headphones are really worth it idk if they are, I don't know if I want a higher or lower ohm headphone. I don't think I care about what may say is booming bass or shrieking highs. Thanks so much. 

On 9/30/2021 at 12:48 PM, IPD said:

Sennheiser GSP 300, or anything in Sennheiser line.  I would also consider Sony or Audio Technica (although I still think Sennheiser has higher sound quality).

I steer clear of gaming company cans.  Razer has atrocious build quality.  Hyper X I've heard some ok things about; I haven't personally used, but the sound stage cannot possibly be as good as Sennheiser.  When I first switched from Skull Candy, Beats, etc--to my HD439's...my tastes got discriminating REAL fast.

What about beyerdynamic??

3 hours ago, Fosh612 said:

What about beyerdynamic??

The Beyer MMX 300 is a complete headset with mic and all that. Idk how good it is though or what headphone it's based on.

But it should sit roughly around $300.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 hours ago, Fosh612 said:

I'm sorry for all the inconveniences but it's very appreciated. I never used headphones like these so idk what I want. I get it, it's all based on preference and opinion but I want a great pair of headphones for singleplayer rpgs that will immerse me and make my music sound unbelievable (I usually listen to calm steady music to a bit more pumped up music like alternative rock, if that helps.) If a higher ohm headphones are really worth it idk if they are, I don't know if I want a higher or lower ohm headphone. I don't think I care about what may say is booming bass or shrieking highs. So if the 880 is still ehat you recommend. I might just get the 250 or 600. Could you send me an dac and amp that you like? Thanks so much

An amp I really like with these is the magni 3+ or monoprice liquid spark. I like the liquid spark pairing more than the magni 3+, but the magni 3+ is a more versatile amplifier. To save money for a dac you can get a nice and cheap jcally jm 10 plus a 3.5mm to RCA adapter. Which for the whole setup is $300 with no mic unfortunately

On 10/2/2021 at 2:38 PM, DrunkenPanda said:

I'd go with Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro or DT 990 Pro

What about DT 1350? I'm asking because I have almost the same needs and same budget as the OP (RPG, meaning musical scores first, ambient and speech tied second, quality of effects third, spatial precision and comfort of use tied fourth). I've just found an offer for DT 1350 that's priced actually a bit lower 990 pro. Another alternative in roughly the same price (coupla bucks lower still) is Arctis Pro + Game DAC (of which I don't make much, but it's still there anyway). AFAIK the 1350 should escape some of the (few and fanciful) problems people may have had with the 990 pro.

1 hour ago, NewbieOne said:

What about DT 1350? I'm asking because I have almost the same needs and same budget as the OP (RPG, meaning musical scores first, ambient and speech tied second, quality of effects third, spatial precision and comfort of use tied fourth). I've just found an offer for DT 1350 that's priced actually a bit lower 990 pro. Another alternative in roughly the same price (coupla bucks lower still) is Arctis Pro + Game DAC (of which I don't make much, but it's still there anyway). AFAIK the 1350 should escape some of the (few and fanciful) problems people may have had with the 990 pro.

770 - Closed - excellent bass, less soundstage (better for music)

880 - Semi-Open - flat curve, good soundstage (best studio monitor / good compromise--my personal daily driver)

990 - Open - less bass, excellent soundstage (better for gaming)

The problems people have with any of these are the same problems people will have with any closed/semi-open/open design...

that being said... I haven't specifically used a 1350... I own the other 3... so I can't vouch for them specifically vs the others

I had the DT880 Black Edition 250ohm and loved it. I wish I still had it but had to sell it due to reorganizing my stuff again.

I had the DT770 250ohm and it's not really my favorite one. While it has indeed booming bass, the treble is fatiguing quickly.

The Fidelio X2HR might be the best for you amongst the other 2: Beyerdynamic Tygr and DT880.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

31 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Fidelio X2HR

How exactly good are those compared to the other headphones discussed in this thread? I've just found a bunch of them in <$80 range.

35 minutes ago, NewbieOne said:

How exactly good are those compared to the other headphones discussed in this thread? I've just found a bunch of them in <$80 range.

They all 3 are very good. I have the Tygr and X2HR and will pick depending on my mood or if I wanna use one for a while.

For me it's really hard to recommend one, I like them all 3.

But, of you really want the best of the 3: Fidelio X2HR because of the widest soundstage.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

4 hours ago, DrunkenPanda said:

770 - Closed - excellent bass, less soundstage (better for music)

880 - Semi-Open - flat curve, good soundstage (best studio monitor / good compromise--my personal daily driver)

990 - Open - less bass, excellent soundstage (better for gaming)

The problems people have with any of these are the same problems people will have with any closed/semi-open/open design...

that being said... I haven't specifically used a 1350... I own the other 3... so I can't vouch for them specifically vs the others

I am thinking the dt 880 but idk what amplitude. 

6 hours ago, rice guru said:

An amp I really like with these is the magni 3+ or monoprice liquid spark. I like the liquid spark pairing more than the magni 3+, but the magni 3+ is a more versatile amplifier. To save money for a dac you can get a nice and cheap jcally jm 10 plus a 3.5mm to RCA adapter. Which for the whole setup is $300 with no mic unfortunately

Would a dac amp be necessary for the 250 and would the 600 version be rven worth it for the same price?