Swapping History with Computer Science (Here me out)

Krocket

I'm not saying we don't need history. I'm not saying we get rid of it from schools. I'm saying it should be an elective and that Computer Science (typing, basic OS usage, browser maintenance, computer maintenance, virus protection, backing up, basic code, binary, hardware, etc. etc. etc.; hell anything related to computers) should be made a core subject. People don't even know how to use computers or type in this day and age, let alone know how they work. I didn't even start understanding how the basics of a  computer work until Freshman year and that was with research on my own time, and plenty of it. If you like learning about George Washington then go ahead and sign up for the elective course, but today knowing how to properly use a computer is CRUCIAL. And barely any people seem to have the skill. Maybe it's regional and maybe something like this exists in other countries but I personally feel the simplest things aren't even being taught. What's so hard about teaching toddlers binary and hex along with numbers, and Java, HTML, and C++ next to English? Definitely a lot more important than knowing about the 1400s (opinion), unless you want to know about the 1400s.

I know some will think this is stupid but think about where the world is heading. We wouldn't be forgetting the history of our world. It would just be an option if you wanted to learn it.

This is not my biased hate on History and love for Computer Science. This is a legitimate thought of mine.

lolno.

People think differently and not everyone is suited for coding

I highly agree with this, but instead of history I think second language should be an elective that can be replaced with Computer Programming since for many people (Such as me) knowing Java or C++ will help me a lot more than knowing how to speak french. I think the education system needs to come into the future and realize that being proficient with technology is VERY important these days.

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

You should have an understanding of when and where we came from and why we ought not to repeat history's mistakes. The humanities are just as important as the sciences. Understanding what drives humanity, and what has driven humanity in the direction it takes creates people capable of comprehending and solving complex world issues. 

That's not to say that having a mandatory computing class is a bad idea. I hypothesize that you might have had bad experiences in history classes. And that's bound to happen with computer classes too. Having an understanding of the power that mankind possesses in computation is important. Ultimately, children need more education in order to be competent in everything we do. We should never subtract from a student's education. Not ever. 

I think the greater issue is really making children appreciate all of the subjects we learn. 

P.S. I'm in high school. It sucks, but that does not make me hate subjects. It makes me hate stupid students, teachers, and curriculums. 

Edit: Perhaps language arts needs to be bolstered. I would want people to hear me out too. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

This is completely idiotic. History is easily one of the most important classes you can take as a human being. It should not be an elective.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

today knowing HTML is more important then knowing hand writing. The only ppl i know that still use hand writing are over 60 and its illegible. 

EDIT: Im all for it. although maybe dont screw all history. Canadian history from the 1800's is accually good to know. Like with a rebellion and upper and lower canada. BUT FOR SURE, SCREW POETRY. LET IT BURN IN A FIRE! THEN REPLACE IT WITH HTML!

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

lolno.

Not everyone is suited to english, maths, history, geography, sciences, etc.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Not everyone is suited to english, maths, history, geography, sciences, etc.

obviously.

obviously.

Then why shouldn't computer science be a mandatory class? Advanced english and history have no practical use in the real world. Computers and technology are an increasing part of our lives and being able to write a 5000 word essay over-analysing a book or being able to recite the Chinese dynasties is useless. Understanding computers is very important.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

in reality you are good as long as you can:

1. Spell reasonably good

2. Haves good enough grammers so people can understands u (made that sentence bad) 

3. Type

4. know where you came from (i mean the location, not "that talk" with your parents) and your country's history.

you should be all good in my opinion as long as your dream is not to become a history teacher. xD

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

being able to recite the Chinese dynasties is useless.

SMH.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

in my schools i have to wait till grade 11 to start computer science and second lang is a elective, but there is a class called commerce and computer apps witch teaches typing and and how to use computers

in reality you are good as long as you can:

1. Spell reasonably good

2. Haves good enough grammers so people can understands u (made that sentence bad) 

3. Type

4. know where you came from (i mean the location, not "that talk" with your parents) and your country's history.

you should be all good in my opinion as long as your dream is not to become a history teacher. xD

we only learned about native till grade 8 in social studies/history

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

SMH.

Tell me one practical use for history other than wanting to be a history teacher or work in a museum. Sure you can pursue history as a hobby, but in practical terms it's useless.

I think having some knowledge about history is good but the way it is taught in schools now is just terrible. "Memorize this, memorize that, get those specific dates in your head!" I see this rote learning style as very inefficient and does not add to the intelligence of students. In this case, I would much rather have students learn about technology because that is where there future is headed, no matter what field they decide to enter. Technology will dominate. If schools learn that students don't need to know when D-Day was or where something very specific happened but rather focused on the larger ideas, such as types of leaderships in general and that sort of thing, history would be a much more pleasant course for students and teachers.

i9-6930X @ 5.3GHz | ASUS Z1007-A | 64TB G.Skill Ripjaw XIV 2400GHz RAM | GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair 900R

Corsair CX2500 W | 15TB WD Green | Noctua NH-D24

Tell me one practical use for history other than wanting to be a history teacher or work in a museum. Sure you can pursue history as a hobby, but in practical terms it's useless.

Preventing your society from becoming a nation of serfs, for one. When people refuse to learn from history, atrocities happen. And it's happening in the United States again. I can see why. This country is slowly mimicking Nazi Germany because fukc history amirite?

History is not about memorizing dates. It's pathetic that it's looked at that way.

lolno.

Well I also said just basic computer skills. Not everyone is suited for math, history, science, or english either?

I highly agree with this, but instead of history I think second language should be an elective that can be replaced with Computer Programming since for many people (Such as me) knowing Java or C++ will help me a lot more than knowing how to speak french. I think the education system needs to come into the future and realize that being proficient with technology is VERY important these days.

For us a second language wasn't mandatory but then again I live in the southern parts of America. I get where you're coming from.

You should have an understanding of when and where we came from and why we ought not to repeat history's mistakes. The humanities are just as important as the sciences. Understanding what drives humanity, and what has driven humanity in the direction it takes creates people capable of comprehending and solving complex world issues. 

That's not to say that having a mandatory computing class is a bad idea. I hypothesize that you might have had bad experiences in history classes. And that's bound to happen with computer classes too. Having an understanding of the power that mankind possesses in computation is important. Ultimately, children need more education in order to be competent in everything we do. We should never subtract from a student's education. Not ever. 

I think the greater issue is really making children appreciate all of the subjects we learn. 

P.S. I'm in high school. It sucks, but that does not make me hate subjects. It makes me hate stupid students, teachers, and curriculums. 

Edit: Perhaps language arts needs to be bolstered. I would want people to hear me out too. 

I feel we should constantly improve our school systems and try to learn more and more while letting students choose their own paths a little later on. Like I said I'm not saying DON'T teach history. Just saying it shouldn't be mandatory. And for what you said about me having a bad experience it's actually quite the opposite. Loved all the history teachers I've had. I don't really have any bias towards the subject.

This is completely idiotic. History is easily one of the most important classes you can take as a human being. It should not be an elective.

"Easily one of the most important classes" ???

Excuse me while I get through life with 3rd grade level writing and math skills but atleast I know how America was settled.

today knowing HTML is more important then knowing hand writing. The only ppl i know that still use hand writing are over 60 and its illegible. 

EDIT: Im all for it. although maybe dont screw all history. Canadian history from the 1800's is accually good to know. Like with a rebellion and upper and lower canada. BUT FOR SURE, SCREW POETRY. LET IT BURN IN A FIRE! THEN REPLACE IT WITH HTML!

That's another point I have. Should we even teach writing anymore? Maybe I or someone else should make a thread/poll about that.

Preventing your society from becoming a nation of serfs, for one. When people refuse to learn from history, atrocities happen. And it's happening in the United States again. I can see why. This country is slowly mimicking Nazi Germany because fukc history amirite?

History is not about memorizing dates. It's pathetic that it's looked at that way.

Actually I would say it's more because of the media, but education is part of it. You guys should probably work on that.

LOL. The ignorance is astounding. History is a core because you can learn A LOT from history. Morals, ethics, case studies. It helps you AS A PERSON. That kind of stuff matters as you grow up, having a solid understanding of what life is actually like and how we got to where we are now matters a little more than knowing how to code. I don't need a class in school to tell me how to use a computer for starters.

More to the point, not everyone can do that kind of computer science stuff. If I had to do computer science I would've failed. I'm terrible with maths. Its not even amusing, it just never clicks. If my academic standing was based off computing science, I'd be considered a dud. As it stands, Im a fucking genius going to med. Just don't ask me to differentiate anything. Please don't. I'll stab you with a scalpel or two. 

And if you think they pull history out of their asses, they didn't. Curriculum's are put together with some genuine thought by people who have 1 or 2 degrees to their name, by people who actually know what a balanced education should be. 

And if you think history is just memorizing dates, well you truly are an idiot and you really didn't learn anything at all. 

What's so hard about teaching toddlers binary and hex along with numbers, and Java, HTML, and C++ next to English? 

Because it makes no goddamn sense? C++ and HTML and Java are skills for the workforce or a future degree. They are not skills for a productive life. Not even on the same level as English. 

If anything, I'd slot in a mandatory 2nd language class. Why? Because at that age, kids can benefit from learning another language. They can more or less be smarter if they can learn more than one language. Plus, knowing another language has real value in the workforce and it truly opens up doors in your life to do things. Knowing C++ is only helpful if you even cared about that stuff in the first place. 

"Easily one of the most important classes" ???

Excuse me while I get through life with 3rd grade level writing and math skills but atleast I know how America was settled.

Histroy r dum hurrdurr. Woh carez bout jennaside i can install whendows by myslef

I get where you're coming from when it comes to keeping our government in check but if it's someone's passion to run for president or congress they will. I think most people view history as memorizing dates now. You ever been to a class teaching history? You can taste the apathy in the room.

I get where you're coming from when it comes to keeping our government in check but if it's someone's passion to run for president or congress they will. I think most people view history as memorizing dates now. You ever been to a class teaching history? You can taste the apathy in the room.

SMH. You sir DEFINITELY need a refresher in history. It isn't only for politicians, who are actually lawyers, not history buffs.

I guess my perspective is different considering I finished school years ago and most of the members here are just now "learning" about Christopher Columbus.

LOL. The ignorance is astounding. History is a core because you can learn A LOT from history. Morals, ethics, case studies. It helps you AS A PERSON. That kind of stuff matters as you grow up, having a solid understanding of what life is actually like and how we got to where we are now matters a little more than knowing how to code. I don't need a class in school to tell me how to use a computer for starters.

More to the point, not everyone can do that kind of computer science stuff. If I had to do computer science I would've failed. I'm terrible with maths. Its not even amusing, it just never clicks. If my academic standing was based off computing science, I'd be considered a dud. As it stands, Im a fucking genius going to med. Just don't ask me to differentiate anything. Please don't. I'll stab you with a scalpel or two. 

And if you think they pull history out of their asses, they didn't. Curriculum's are put together with some genuine thought by people who have 1 or 2 degrees to their name, by people who actually know what a balanced education should be. 

And if you think history is just memorizing dates, well you truly are an idiot and you really didn't learn anything at all. 

Because it makes no goddamn sense? C++ and HTML and Java are skills for the workforce or a future degree. They are not skills for a productive life. Not even on the same level as English. 

If anything, I'd slot in a mandatory 2nd language class. Why? Because at that age, kids can benefit from learning another language. They can more or less be smarter if they can learn more than one language. Plus, knowing another language has real value in the workforce and it truly opens up doors in your life to do things. Knowing C++ is only helpful if you even cared about that stuff in the first place. 

I never learned anything about ethics from history? If I learned anything about morals and being human it was from english and that wasn't much. Find yourself dude. You shouldn't need Stonewall Jackson for that.

Histroy r dum hurrdurr. Woh carez bout jennaside i can install whendows by myslef

I'd like to see how another nations guns look after I've hacked them  B)

If you didn't learn much, you didn't put any effort in to begin with. 

School only gives as much as you care to put in, so whenever people say "oh I didn't learn much" its a fancy way of saying "I was lazy as fuck and didn't care"

Same story in high school, same story in undergrad, shockingly the same story with post grad. 

You don't invest in what you're learning, how can you expect to retain and walk away with anything worth having? 

Code is other languages and offers the same things you mentioned.

"Knowing C++ is only helpful if you even cared about that stuff in the first place."...like code.

"They can more or less be smarter if they can learn more than one language."...like code.

Didn't mean to start a flame war so I'll stop now. Interesting to hear the other points of view so thanks for the feed back :D

Me being able to speak French lets me take my job from one country to...several. Now add in Spanish and Italian. Might as well learn Portuguese since I already have the rest of the gang. My value to a employer just skyrocketed, since I can go in more places and be effective. Because in my field, knowing computing science means nothing. Last I checked, Docs don't write C++. Why would I? Its an inherently useless skill to have. 

Knowing languages is inherently more useful for EVERYONE. Knowing code is only useful for those going into that field.