Rescue fan from bad PSU

Felipe9999
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

The pin spacing and size will match but not the connector itself so you'll have to kinda force it in, which means you have to check polarity to force it in the right way and on the right pins. 

Recently a bad PSU was causing me problems as stated here, so I pulled it out of my system and decided to dissasemble it before tossing it in the garbage. I found a fan with a connector I'm not familiar with and I'm wondering if I can install this fan in a 4 pin fan header to be used as a case fan. Below are pictures of the fan and connectorIMG20210916093851.thumb.jpg.66f05fd25eaef30ee787a5d537d9c423.jpg

IMG20210916093909.jpg

If your motherboard supports voltage control for fans, yes. However you wont get any RPM reading, you also have to make sure you plug it in correctly.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

If your motherboard supports voltage control for fans, yes. However you wont get any RPM reading, you also have to make sure you plug it in correctly.

I'm guessing that it would go like it did on the PSU fan header, but leaving 2 of the 4 pins on the motherboard header disconnected. Is this correct?

The pin spacing and size will match but not the connector itself so you'll have to kinda force it in, which means you have to check polarity to force it in the right way and on the right pins. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

Alright, thanks for your help!

5 minutes ago, Felipe9999 said:

I'm guessing that it would go like it did on the PSU fan header, but leaving 2 of the 4 pins on the motherboard header disconnected. Is this correct?

image.png.05f6a44400f9206f9d33d5878aa73e0b.png

Yup just make sure you match the polarity. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

Ok, thanks for the help!

12 minutes ago, Levent said:

I just noticed that a small part of the wires is visible just before the connector, color coded red and black.

Could this colors represent the +12V and ground wires respectively?

IMG20210916101230.jpg

1 minute ago, Felipe9999 said:

I just noticed that a small part of the wires is visible just before the connector, color coded red and black.

Could this colors represent the +12V and ground wires respectively?

yes

This is a DC only fan if plugged in normally it will run at full speed. meaning you need to have a fan controller that works like a light dimmer.

the PSU has a build in dimmer that lowers the voltage so it runs quieter. but to reuse it you need to connect something like a potentiometer between the cables. 

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

17 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

meaning you need to have a fan controller that works like a light dimmer.

And many motherboards are able to do that.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: I've been running this fan in my PC for quite a while now. After doing some modifications to the connector, it fit perfectly. It's a bit louder than I'd like, but my mobo is able to control its speed just fine.