Texas making it illegal for Social media platforms to ban users based on political opinion

Jtalk4456

Summary

Leave your shoes and politics on the mat in front before you come in please. So TLDR is that Texas made a law that puts any social media company over 50 million users in trouble if they ban someone from their platform because of their political views. I'll do my best to make this neutral in the quotes

Quotes

Prominent ... politicians have accused Facebook, Twitter and others of censoring ... views.

The social networks have all denied stifling ... views.

However, they do enforce terms of service which prohibit content such as incitement to violence and co-ordinated disinformation.

Right of the bat, ignoring the legal challenges here, they're gonna end up with this getting challenged and have a hard time proving the reasons for bans to be of a discriminatory nature.

Furthermore this is 100% a first amendment violation where the government is trying to force into law a private company allowing their viewpoints on their platform. While there is an argument to me made about the evolving role of social media in real world actions and consequences, I still find no scenario where it is right to force a platform to accept users putting out information the platform doesn't like.

Critics say the law does not respect the constitutional right of private businesses to decide what sort of content is allowed on their platforms.

"This bill abandons ... values, violates the First Amendment, and forces websites to host obscene, anti-semitic, racist, hateful and otherwise awful content," said Steve DelBianco, president of NetChoice trade association.

"Moderation of user posts is crucial to keeping the internet safe for Texas families, but this bill would put the Texas government in charge of content policies."

My thoughts

Ironically right after I made a general post asking about slippery slope arguments, I think any time we're directly violating the first amendment, were in a slippery slope. I think this is hands down a bad law, at the very least it's unconstitutional, and I seriously doubt it will hold up to the supreme court due to directly violating the first amendment.

Sources

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/texas-passes-social-media-de-platforming-law/ar-AAOiMHy?ocid=uxbndlbing

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

My thoughts

Ironically right after I made a general post asking about slippery slope arguments, I think any time we're directly violating the first amendment, were in a slippery slope. I think this is hands down a bad law, at the very least it's unconstitutional, and I seriously doubt it will hold up to the supreme court due to directly violating the first amendment.

Only problem I see with this statement is that most people do not see or use the First Amendment properly. Its not a protection of private companies not being able to ban who they want when they want for any reason they want... Twitter, Facebook, you name it, they are well within there rights to ban whoever they want, how they want, when they want and there isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it. 

The First Amendment is designed to protect YOU from any sort of harassment, backlash or other forms of punishment from the Government for speaking out against them. 

This is a thing that a ton of people don't get or don't understand correctly. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

-= Topic Locked =-

OK so as you know, and it is clearly stated in the CS.

• No political content, regardless of your views.
    • If something spans politics and tech, the discussion must remain clearly within tech and must not descend into politics
    • This covers all parts of the site, including status updates

There is a full ban on politics.

This topic has no direct relation to Technology either, social media is not technology it is use of technology.... 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER