Should I put my pc on the ground?

LetsBuildPc

The case is a 500R and I have no room at all and I'm nervous that if I put the power supply fan up the GPU won't oc as well the thing I'm most worried about is that the ground is carpeted could and would it get ruined or over heat?

you can see that I have absolutely no room at all

post-39530-0-08526900-1396981153_thumb.j

These aren't even the most important issues. So much dust. You would have to clean you pc on a daily basis. 

These aren't even the most important issues. So much dust. You would have to clean you pc on a daily basis. 

I have mine on a hardwood floor. I just clean the front intake filter every week or two and I've only had to clean the side intake filters once since I've gotten the case 4 months ago.

If it's a hardwood floor then you can just put it on the ground as-is (Mine faces down.) but if it's a carpet then flip your PSU up to intake from inside the case because a carpet can restrict airflow and cause your PSU to overheat which is no fun. With a hardwood floor it really makes no difference if it's on your desk or on the floor. (It's still a flat surface..) And don't worry about your GPU temps. It'd have little, if any, effect on them. (Don't worry about overclocking performance either. That will be fine.)

EDIT: Just read that it's a carpeted floor. Just flip the PSU and you'll be just fine.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

maybe run over to your local hardware store and get a piece of plywood and cut it to the same footprint as your case? then put your pc on it. gives it a flat surface to sit on.

I didn't think I would have to post this problem I think that its already a given

maybe run over to your local hardware store and get a piece of plywood and cut it to the same footprint as your case? then put your pc on it. gives it a flat surface to sit on.

I agree. I wouldn't put it on carpet, and I honestly wouldn't flip the PSU either. I feel it does a much better job fan-down.

You can do that, or you can buy those PC crates with castor wheels on them. They have venting/airflow on the bottom. Sorry, I have no idea what they are called.

Either way, don't put it on carpet. It'll just function as a vacuum.

Put in on the floor, just with a hard surface between it.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Is there a reason you can't put that printer on the floor?

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

Is there a reason you can't put that printer on the floor?

the printer is on a different elevation thats how the desk is made if it wasn't it would be on the floor 

I agree. I wouldn't put it on carpet, and I honestly wouldn't flip the PSU either. I feel it does a much better job fan-down.

You can do that, or you can buy those PC crates with castor wheels on them. They have venting/airflow on the bottom. Sorry, I have no idea what they are called.

Either way, don't put it on carpet. It'll just function as a vacuum.

Put in on the floor, just with a hard surface between it.

This is what you should do. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

*Potentially!

I have seen pcs survive insane dust conditions. Its not recommended but its not certain death.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

computer cases are designed to be put on the floor.

There is no benefit on having it not the floor. That is why we moved form the computer being under the monitor, to the floor. The reason why it's rectangular in a tower shape, is for easy access to the power button and optical drive and such.

This is also why many quality cases have air filters too, to diminish dust inside the computer, including animal hair.

So put it on the floor and enjoy :)

Depending on your location, dust inside your computer will vary, which will determine how many times you need to clean the computer. For example, if you are far away from downtown, and in a house with central air where it also cleans the air, then you probbay rarely need to clean the inside of the system. If you live in a dusty place, where you have no central air system, most of the time the window open, and downtown, then you probably need to get do a clean up twice a year with some compressed air, if you enjoy an extra clean computer. It will survive once a year very well. Assuming you have high quality fans throughout your system, dust will be of no issue. So even if you clean every 2 years, it should not be problematic.

I live close to downtown an apt, so no central air system, just heater and standard A/C, so it is dusty place, despite weekly deep apartment vacuuming. Clean my computer once a year. Never had tons of dust. I just clean off the air filter of the case once a week. Sometimes once a 2 weeks if I am too busy. Never had crazy amount of dust.

computer cases are designed to be put on the floor.

There is no benefit on having it not the floor. That is why we moved form the computer being under the monitor, to the floor. The reason why it's rectangular in a tower shape, is for easy access to the power button and optical drive and such.

This is also why many quality cases have air filters too, to diminish dust inside the computer, including animal hair.

So put it on the floor and enjoy :)

Depending on your location, dust inside your computer will vary, which will determine how many times you need to clean the computer. For example, if you are far away from downtown, and in a house with central air where it also cleans the air, then you probbay rarely need to clean the inside of the system. If you live in a dusty place, where you have no central air system, most of the time the window open, and downtown, then you probably need to get do a clean up twice a year with some compressed air, if you enjoy an extra clean computer. It will survive once a year very well. Assuming you have high quality fans throughout your system, dust will be of no issue. So even if you clean every 2 years, it should not be problematic.

I live close to downtown an apt, so no central air system, just heater and standard A/C, so it is dusty place, despite weekly deep apartment vacuuming. Clean my computer once a year. Never had tons of dust. I just clean off the air filter of the case once a week. Sometimes once a 2 weeks if I am too busy. Never had crazy amount of dust.

Computer cases may be designed to be put on the floor.. But the issue isn't the case. It's the PSU that's acting as a vacuum. 

So you're saying its okay to throw the PC on carpet with the PSU Fan-Down? Considering MOST PSUs are face down.

Not that fan filters work miracles anyways, but if his particular case doesn't have one under the PSU, or any at the bottom at all, then what?

Computer cases may be designed to be put on the floor.. But the issue isn't the case. It's the PSU that's acting as a vacuum. 

So you're saying its okay to throw the PC on carpet with the PSU Fan-Down? Considering MOST PSUs are face down.

Not that fan filters work miracles anyways, but if his particular case doesn't have one under the PSU, or any at the bottom at all, then what?

Ah you do raise a good point, but cases that have the PSU at the bottom, you can have them flipped.

PSU don't heat up much (compared to a processor)... ok let me correct myself... decent PSU's, like 80Plus certified ones, and not set to be push at max when your computer is idle (if you know what I mean), don't heat up much.

Also, the PSU can be cleaned, and is designed operate when it's dusty. Most people today, don't clean up the inside of their computer, and it's on the floor and no air filters. Still fine. And that is ignoring the fact that we tend to buy extreme high quality and over built components inside of our system.

I mean, MSI's GPUs have the ability to sh*t out the dust on top of the psu, so it makes the GPU have no dust.

Pretty cool feature, IMO.

Hey.

Just flip your PSU, duh.

Desk:

- runs warmer

- takes up more room

Floor:

- more dust

- runs cooler

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Should be fine. Maybe just clean it out more regularly and dont blow hot air into the ground as well as making sure that your dust filters are cleaned regularly. You could elevate it a bit more if your worried

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

As previously mentioned, it'd be pretty stupid to place it on carpet if your PSU's intake is facing down. I had this issue too and I found the best method is to place it on the floor with a piece of plywood underneath it, or you could even use an old shelf if you have one of those lying around. The wood underneath it also makes it more stable than if you just place it onto the carpet (Depends on the thickness of your carpet I suppose). 

Ah you do raise a good point, but cases that have the PSU at the bottom, you can have them flipped.

PSU don't heat up much (compared to a processor)... ok let me correct myself... decent PSU's, like 80Plus certified ones, and not set to be push at max when your computer is idle (if you know what I mean), don't heat up much.

Also, the PSU can be cleaned, and is designed operate when it's dusty. Most people today, don't clean up the inside of their computer, and it's on the floor and no air filters. Still fine. And that is ignoring the fact that we tend to buy extreme high quality and over built components inside of our system.

Although cleaning a case is always recommended and never a daunting task; cleaning the PSU is a whole 'nother thing.

Opening it up is not the easiest thing (if you're no expert) and not to mention, voids the warranty.

And if you mess something up, you have quite a large chance the PSU will trickle down and may ruin other parts of the PC. This is whether you clean it or not - aka, if it sucks up too much.. PSU-Munching-NegativityMites. Yes, those are real. They are a breed of dust mites that ruin your PC and cause those "wtfzorz is happening to my pc" errors.

Also, someone mentioned flipping the PSU. Though this is easy to do and yes, would be a fix - it has its drawbacks; hence why most people don't.

Although cleaning a case is always recommended and never a daunting task; cleaning the PSU is a whole 'nother thing.

Opening it up is not the easiest thing (if you're no expert) and not to mention, voids the warranty.

Wait what? No. You don't open a PSU. It's dangerous too. You just get a canister of compressed air, you know the ones you use to clean computers, and electronic, and spray on the vents. The dust will all come out.

Also, someone mentioned flipping the PSU. Though this is easy to do and yes, would be a fix - it has its drawbacks;

Hmmm... I don't see any drawbacks.

You can, mine's on the floor, but I don't have a bottom intake for the fan. So I have no other options but to have the PSU fan up. Flip the PSU around, you really don't lose anything. I've not noticed a change in temp but a few degrees. Doesn't really affect my OC or anything either. If you have all your other fans setup and airflow is proper you should be just fine!

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

I have mine on a hardwood floor, my dust problem is humongous. But then again I guess I just have a really dusty house. Being that dust is like 90% dead skin cells it makes sense, because we have 6 people living in a three bedroom house LOL

My PC also does not have dust filters though. I really need a better case... The one I have is complete garbage compared to the builds Ive done in other cases like the Define R4 and a couple of Antecs

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Wait what? No. You don't open a PSU. It's dangerous too. You just get a canister of compressed air, you know the ones you use to clean computers, and electronic, and spray on the vents. The dust will all come out.

Hmmm... I don't see any drawbacks.

Ohhh.. Well, yeah I guess you could just blow some air through it...

But still... My point is all this work you and others are adding to the playing field....

Don't you think its easier to put it on a hard surface? Hell, even a slab of cardboard?

Wouldn't that just be safer and better? No extra cleaning. No flipping PSU, etc etc.

Also, one drawback is heat. A lot of PSUs generate a lot of heat.

And I know what you're gonna say.. "they sell a lot of 80+ certified ones that idle and don't create heat as much, etc"   - To that, I reply:  Just because they sell them, doesn't mean that it's the one that the original poster has in his PC already.  :P

Another drawback is a chance that the Fan-Up might give you an unbalanced chain of Airflow in the case. For example: (easiest example I can think of) Only 2 fans in a case. Front to Intake, Back to Exhaust. The PSU fan on intake could break the flow.

My only goal in this thread was to help the OP with the "Easiest & Safest" way to go about putting it on the floor. No extra work.

No.

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.