Should I put my pc on the ground?

LetsBuildPc

Do thissummera-computer-holder__43821_PE139607_

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I would just flip your psu up. For my situation, I had minimal temperature differences (1-3C) when I flipped my PSU up because the PSU was overheating and my Twin Frozr 3 which I assume was a Blower style cooler kept my psu cool with minimal temp difference.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I ran into the same problem, my desk simply wasn't long enough and my bedroom is carpeted. I cut a piece of cardboard off the case box and set the case on that, on the floor. Problem solved for free.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

My personal rig is ghetto lifted... 4 N64 cartridges holding it off the carpet  :D

Also acceptable - bad books.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Well the PCs in my office are all on the ground, so those spots are pretty dirty. At home I have it on the desk, so as to not get in the way when I'm mopping the floor.

CPU: Intel Core i7 950 MoBo: ASUS Sabertooth X58  Cooler: Scythe Ninja 3 + Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RAM: 3 x 2 GB Corsair Value Ram, 3 x 4 GB Corsair Value Ram GPU: MSI GTX 780 Lightning; SSD: Corsair Force 3 128GB Storage: 1 x 1 TB HDD (Samsung + 2 WD + Seagate) Case: CM 690 II Advanced Mouse: Steelseries Ikari + Steelseries Qck Mini Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 Controller: Microsoft XBox 360 Wireless Controller Instrument (Rocksmith 2014): Yamaha BB414

If the power supply takes air into the fan and blows it out the back with would not matter if the fan was flipped so it is taking air from inside the case and taking it out the back it would actually improve air flow at the cost of the power supply running hot not the graphics card, so just have it take air from in the case and it will be fine on the carpet.

*Potentially!

I have seen pcs survive insane dust conditions. Its not recommended but its not certain death.

I wish i made a photo of my old pc lol. 6 years and i didnt clean it up, the cpu got to 90+°C But still running fine lol (Athlon X2 7750BE). Its still dusty like shit but the temps are fine so i wont worry lol

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Do thissummera-computer-holder__43821_PE139607_

That pc looks SHIT lol

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Ohhh.. Well, yeah I guess you could just blow some air through it...

But still... My point is all this work you and others are adding to the playing field....

Don't you think its easier to put it on a hard surface? Hell, even a slab of cardboard?

Wouldn't that just be safer and better? No extra cleaning. No flipping PSU, etc etc.

Also, one drawback is heat. A lot of PSUs generate a lot of heat.

And I know what you're gonna say.. "they sell a lot of 80+ certified ones that idle and don't create heat as much, etc"   - To that, I reply:  Just because they sell them, doesn't mean that it's the one that the original poster has in his PC already.  :P

Another drawback is a chance that the Fan-Up might give you an unbalanced chain of Airflow in the case. For example: (easiest example I can think of) Only 2 fans in a case. Front to Intake, Back to Exhaust. The PSU fan on intake could break the flow.

My only goal in this thread was to help the OP with the "Easiest & Safest" way to go about putting it on the floor. No extra work.

That doesnt solve the Problem, there will still be dust building up, slowly but surely...Its bad...Its evil...IT WILL KILL US

Mines is on the ground carpeted, PSU fan facing down.  The PSU I have doesn't spin the fan unless it gets above a certain temp and there is a removable dust filter over it also.  Never had a problem with dust build up in the 6 years I've had my system on the ground. 

Solution: Kill the carpet.

Hard wood floors are so much more classy looking anyway. :P

just buy a new desk

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

If your printer is wireless why not put it somewhere else for more deskspace?

Also that desk really doesn't utilize space very well at all, seems really awkward to lay things out easily

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

That pc looks SHIT lol

Its a picture from ikea.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I have mine on the floor, I just set a peice of a shelf on the carpet so as not to starve the PSU.

Its a picture from ikea.

I know, you dont want to see the keyboards in ikea shops lol. 2cm of plasik above them so noone touches them xD

It is not wise to put a PC on any surface that would impede the fresh air flow to the PC however @LetsBuildPc you can put your PC on the ground if you put it on something that would raise it off the carpet, similarly to how a car would be propped up when the tires are removed and it would work fine.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

maybe run over to your local hardware store and get a piece of plywood and cut it to the same footprint as your case? then put your pc on it. gives it a flat surface to sit on.

thats what i did i just got some scrap wood but i have like this plastic like thing to make the chair roll easier on the carpet and that helps too

*Potentially!

I have seen pcs survive insane dust conditions. Its not recommended but its not certain death.

you should see the server at my work, I want to clean it so bad, but I know the company would have a fit if I opened up a computer there to clean the dust out. I would sit in a corner and cry if my computer ever got that dusty.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger