First gaming pc build, looking for suggestions Thanks :)

Lokiling

Games: Overwatch, 4x games (Civ 6, etc), AAA RPGs.  Thinking to build this PC for 4k gaming (currently 1440p)
Programs or workloads: UI design.  I do keep a ton of chrome tabs open, lol 

Other details: I just got a 3080ti card  MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB GAMING X TRIO   (would like a 3080, but.. oh well)    I want to build a white PC with some RGBs. (I have never worked with RGBs in PC) 

A few questions:

1. Do I need a 5800x, or 5600x would be enough?

2. I heard current gen CPU would be the last in this generation. Should I get the cheaper version and upgrade later, or get the better one and keep it for a longer time...

3. AIO cooler, is 360mm an overkill? Would 240mm be enough? I don't think I would do heavy OC. (The video card is an OC version tho I think? )

4. Should I get the Fractal Design Meshify 2 or the Meshify Compact?  I personally like the smaller size, but would it affect airflow?  What's the benefit to get a bigger case, besides possibility to expand later. 

5. Is $350 too expensive for a motherboard for this build? I do really like the aesthetic of this MB, and 4 slots forPCIe 4  M.2 SSD are nice. (and it's white)   Does B550 not support PCIe 4 M.2s?

Thanks! 

Here's my build:

[PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DR6PPV)

Component Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor $389.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Phanteks Glacier One 360MPH 60.51 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $200.00
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S AERO G ATX AM4 Motherboard $349.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory $159.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $182.02 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card $1769.98 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2  White TG Clear Tint ATX Mid Tower Case $145.24 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $149.97 @ Amazon

This looks very solid and put together.

10400f

16 gb 4000

1650 super

z490 msi 

p400a digital

games i play: krunker (sometimes), valorant, and csgo

43 minutes ago, resolve_beta said:

This looks very solid and put together.

Unfortunately no, It doesn't.

@Lokiling

Yes, Get 5800X

And yes, That is paying too much on motherboard while cutting prices on other parts.

That case is okey for airflow and will be enough, You just need to add few fans.

CL18 memorys are too slow for this kind of build, Especially paired with Ryzen CPU.

Power supply isn't visible anyway, So don't overpay because it's white.

Here is edit. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ywLHXb

This AIO is good and not too expensive, Mount it in front. 

+ Buy those 3 fans, Mont 2 on top and 1 rear, U have matching white RGB fans. 

This motherboard looks really great for white themed build. Yes, It's little expensive for B550, But I like it and if you do as well, Buy it. 

But if you plan to overclock, X570 might really be better.

B550 does support NVMe Gen 4.

Also, Buy some white cable extensions to make build look cleaner

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C735N9C/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glc_fabc_KWD7WNSKZZYSEXF8ESZG

I'd consider going up to a 5900X, the price difference at your current price point is not too significant. You can also go with a cheaper mobo, but the one you selected is a really good one.

It's already good as it is though, so don't be scared to pull the trigger!

1 hour ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Unfortunately no, It doesn't.

@Lokiling

Yes, Get 5800X

And yes, That is paying too much on motherboard while cutting prices on other parts.

That case is okey for airflow and will be enough, You just need to add few fans.

CL18 memorys are too slow for this kind of build, Especially paired with Ryzen CPU.

Here is edit. 

This AIO is good and not too expensive, Mount it in front. 

+ Buy those 3 fans, Mont 2 on top and 1 rear, U have matching white RGB fans. 

This motherboard looks really great for white themed build. Yes, It's little expensive for B550, But I like it and if you do as well, Buy it. 

But if you plan to overclock, X570 might really be better.

B550 does support NVMe Gen 4.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C735N9C/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glc_fabc_KWD7WNSKZZYSEXF8ESZG

Thanks! 

I will get a CL16 RAM.  Does Timing matter? 

The white PSU comes with white cables. Do I still need cable extensions? 

Would the Meshify 2 Compact case with a 240mm AIO works?  How much difference would it be between a compact case with 240 vs regular case with 360?

1 hour ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Here is edit. 

Hang on. The Corsair RM and extensions cost more overall than the RMx that already comes with full White cables. Not sure I get your logic. 

1 hour ago, Jonathan Lee said:

I'd consider going up to a 5900X, the price difference at your current price point is not too significant. You can also go with a cheaper mobo, but the one you selected is a really good one.

It's already good as it is though, so don't be scared to pull the trigger!

Thanks!  Is 5900x worth the upgrade from 5800x?  It's around $150 difference

2 minutes ago, Lokiling said:

I don't think you would notice much of a difference today, but it will make your computer last longer than an 8 core. Generally, the overall computer experience will be snappier and more responsive though. At the current price difference, I would just say go for it.

1 minute ago, Jonathan Lee said:

I don't think you would notice much of a difference today, but it will make your computer last longer than an 8 core. Generally, the overall computer experience will be snappier and more responsive though.

Gotcha. Thank you  🙂   

14 minutes ago, Lokiling said:

Not if you are just gaming, or don't need extra cores for other things.

3 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Not if you are just gaming, or don't need extra cores for other things.

Thank you  🙂 

6 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Hang on. The Corsair RM and extensions cost more overall than the RMx that already comes with full White cables. Not sure I get your logic. 

Those cables don't look as good as extensions 😄

6 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Those cables don't look as good as extensions 😄

The Corsair cables look perfectly fine. Also extensions are never a good idea as you have extra cable length to hide, and you also have the added resistance. If the op doesn't like the look of the stock ones then he is better off buying a replacement set from somewhere like Cablemod.

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

The Corsair cables look perfectly fine. Also extensions are never a good idea as you have extra cable length to hide, and you also have the added resistance. If the op doesn't like the look of the stock ones then he is better off buying a replacement set from somewhere like Cablemod.

You are overcomplicating everything.

Have you ever heard of extension cables causing problems? 

54 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Not overcomplicating anything, and yes they can cause issues. Ask someone that has extensive psu knowledge such as @jonnyGURU if you don't want to take my word on it. 

59 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

You are overcomplicating everything

Removing an item to purchase is complicating things? 

Also, in general you want to avoid extensions or adapters that add unnecessary cable lenght or connections. 

Increasing the odd chance you may melt your cables (edit: well specifically the connectors, as there are now more of them) is not something i preffer doing. There is also the small voltage drop. 

3 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Yes.  We have people with problems caused by extensions in here all the time.  Unfortunately, the fact that they're using extensions is the last thing they mention during troubleshooting.

13 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yes.  We have people with problems caused by extensions in here all the time.  Unfortunately, the fact that they're using extensions is the last thing they mention during troubleshooting.

I'm working at tech service and I have never seen problems caused by cables, Except if cable doesn't work from beginning.

Also many tech YouTube channels suggest buying extension cables and I assumed if you buy good quality cables, It won't cause problems and I really like how good sleeved cables look in system. 

17 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

I'm working at tech service and I have never seen problems caused by cables, Except if cable doesn't work from beginning.

Also many tech YouTube channels suggest buying extension cables and I assumed if you buy good quality cables, It won't cause problems and I really like how good sleeved cables look in system. 

Either you're lucky or we're seeing a very vocal minority.

Making your cables twice as long more than doubles the resistance and causes significant voltage drop. 

Add to that the resistance of the additional mating connector causing further voltage drop. 

Add to that that you've just doubled the number of potential points of failure..

Add to that that the PSU's sense wires terminate at the end of the stock cables so the PSU doesn't "know" the voltage at the load.   

Add to that that they tend to use 20g wire. 

Add to that that now you have twice as much cable to hide. 

I mean... there's so many ways extensions can go wrong.  If you can get REPLACEMENT cables that fit your PSU or the PSU comes with nice cables, extensions just don't make any sense at all.

Yes.  Sleeved cables look FANTASTIC.  I use them myself.  But I use cables that plug directly into the PSU.   Not foot long extensions.

7 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Either you're lucky or we're seeing a very vocal minority.

Making your cables twice as long more than doubles the resistance and causes significant voltage drop. 

Add to that the resistance of the additional mating connector causing further voltage drop. 

Add to that that you've just doubled the number of potential points of failure..

Add to that that the PSU's sense wires terminate at the end of the stock cables so the PSU doesn't "know" the voltage at the load.   

Add to that that they tend to use 20g wire. 

Add to that that now you have twice as much cable to hide. 

I mean... there's so many ways extensions can go wrong.  If you can get REPLACEMENT cables that fit your PSU or the PSU comes with nice cables, extensions just don't make any sense at all.

Yes.  Sleeved cables look FANTASTIC.  I use them myself.  But I use cables that plug directly into the PSU.   Not foot long extensions.

Thanks for the info 😊

• 1 month later...

It's better to mount an aio on the top for best performance and lifespan. Evidence on a gamer's nexus video.