What is this weird thing on the back of this card?

Real_Smoky

854_997061903.jpg

I have a guy who is willing to sell me a card for cheap. However, it comes with this weird metal thing with it on the back. What is that exactly? I have seen that on some cards labeled "Mac Edition". Do GPUs designed for Macs work on normal Windows machines?

Thanks!

There's never been a "Mac edition" of a GTX 1070. The Intel-based Macs generally used Radeon graphics anyway.

The thing on the back is probably a bracket that was used to help secure the card into the chassis of some prebuilt.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

8 minutes ago, Real_Smoky said:

854_997061903.jpg

I have a guy who is willing to sell me a card for cheap. However, it comes with this weird metal thing with it on the back. What is that exactly? I have seen that on some cards labeled "Mac Edition". Do GPUs designed for Macs work on normal Windows machines?

Thanks!

Had to know without a picture.  That’s the front of the card.  That metal extension looks like a device designed to make it fit in a particular server case.  Might speak to what the card was originally used for which may affect its value.  It at least should be removable. Without a picture of how it is attached through I can’t even offer a guess of how difficult that might be.  I don’t think that thing was ever in a mac.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Had to know without a picture.  That’s the front of the card.

Yeah, I mean the thing to the far right in the picture, just opposite of the outputs. 

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

There's never been a "Mac edition" of a GTX 1070. The Intel-based Macs generally used Radeon graphics anyway.

The thing on the back is probably a bracket that was used to help secure the card into the chassis of some prebuilt.

Well I sure do hope that that's it. Thanks! 

4 minutes ago, Real_Smoky said:

Yeah, I mean the thing to the far right in the picture, just opposite of the outputs. 

Well I sure do hope that that's it. Thanks! 

How difficult it is to remove could be a factor. It would need to be removed to fit in some desktop cases.  Also implies it may have a non standard bios on it that would have to be reflashed.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

what case are you using?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Also implies it may have a non standard bios on it that would have to be reflashed.

No, it doesn't imply that, at all. 

Prebuilt manufacturers use brackets like this all the time. You can see in this DawidDoesTechStuff video (about 4:40 if the link doesn't go to the correct time) where Acer rather hilariously put one on a tiny little single-fan 1660S, probably because they just use the same bracket for every variant of the system regardless of what GPU it's specced out with.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

How difficult it is to remove could be a factor. It would need to be removed to fit in some desktop cases.  Also implies it may have a non standard bios on it that would have to be reflashed.

Just use a saw

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

No, it doesn't imply that, at all. 

Prebuilt manufacturers use brackets like this all the time. You can see in this DawidDoesTechStuff video (about 4:40 if the link doesn't go to the correct time) where Acer rather hilariously put one on a tiny little single-fan 1660S, probably because they just use the same bracket for every variant of the system regardless of what GPU it's specced out with.

Depends on the thing it was on.  If it was a prebuilt desktop PC, sure.  If it was on a server though or something even more odd that could be a completely different thing though.

1 minute ago, fade2black001 said:

Just use a saw

99% chance it's just screwed on to the backplate of the card.

People are really making a bigger deal out of this than it deserves. 

3 minutes ago, fade2black001 said:

Just use a saw

Metal shavings can be bad for fans though.  Likely best  to unscrew if possible.  That is a point though.  I strongly doubt it was an original part of the card.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Metal shavings can be bad for fans though.  Likely best  to unscrew if possible.  That is a point though.  I strongly doubt it was an original part of the card.

That's why there is compressed air

4 minutes ago, fade2black001 said:

That's why there is compressed air

Compressed air helps but it’s not terribly controllable.  Sometime it blows stuff into cracks instead of out of them.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Compressed air helps but it’s not terribly controllable.  Sometime it blows stuff into cracks instead of out of them.

Or you could just cover the GPU with plastic. Like stick the GPU in a plastic bag and have the metal part sticking out

36 minutes ago, Real_Smoky said:

854_997061903.jpg

Thanks!

I love how people don't attempt to clean stuff they want to sell. Here's a pic of my dirty ass card, pay me and you get to clean it too

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Just now, fade2black001 said:

Or you could just cover the GPU with plastic. Like stick the GPU in a plastic bag and have the metal part sticking out

An option perhaps.  I’m not super familiar with how old 1070 blower cards are built. 

Just now, Bombastinator said:

An option perhaps.  I’m not super familiar with how old 1070 blower cards are built. 

regardless it will be covered that way

It unscrews, guys. Good grief.

4 minutes ago, fade2black001 said:

regardless it will be covered that way

But how close will one be able to cut?  I don’t know if there is an opening on the rear edge(?) of the card or how much would need to be removed to make it fit in what case.  The thing seems to have a front plastic fascia that extends beyond the back of the card. That alone could get in the way of a flush cut. A flush cut may not be needed of course.  One of those “it depends” situations.  Might not need to be cut or removed at all if the target case is big enough.

Edited by Bombastinator

4 minutes ago, Middcore said:

It unscrews, guys. Good grief.

Almost certainly, but is it a whole backplate for which the shroud must be removed and less long screws used or what? This is why I wanted more pics. I don’t know how it attaches exactly.  Might be dead easy.