Aftermarket GPU coolers--do they exist?

Rusty Proto

I'm actually moving away from watercooling in my current build due to space constraints, but I do still see potential for some mondo heatsinks on some components. My graphics card, though, I am not seeing much on, aside from watercooling. (I do plan to revisit watercooling later if I can get a cheap "full size" radiator to experiment with a few external mount ideas I have, but that's another discussion.) Anyway, though I plan to mount a couple expansion slot fans in areas where I don't have a connector, what kind of graphics card coolers are available to pull more heat away from the GPU than the stock cooler is designed for? Also, are most stock GPU coolers usually sized about as good as you can get for the TDP of the card, or are they mostly designed to do the best they can within the space of one slot? I should have a good three or four slots to work with, btw, and am looking at an RTX 3060.

5 minutes ago, Rusty Proto said:

I'm actually moving away from watercooling in my current build due to space constraints, but I do still see potential for some mondo heatsinks on some components. My graphics card, though, I am not seeing much on, aside from watercooling. (I do plan to revisit watercooling later if I can get a cheap "full size" radiator to experiment with a few external mount ideas I have, but that's another discussion.) Anyway, though I plan to mount a couple expansion slot fans in areas where I don't have a connector, what kind of graphics card coolers are available to pull more heat away from the GPU than the stock cooler is designed for? Also, are most stock GPU coolers usually sized about as good as you can get for the TDP of the card, or are they mostly designed to do the best they can within the space of one slot? I should have a good three or four slots to work with, btw, and am looking at an RTX 3060.

You should look up Rajintek Morpheus II and Arctic Accelreo Extreme IV

There's a few options like this https://www.arctic.de/en/ax4  you can also rig a cpu cooler to them with small heatsinks on the memory and power delivery

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

what GPU do you have?

Last sentence, though I have yet to acquire it--RTX 3060, likely from EVGA, and whether I get the TI, Founder's Edition, or whatever may come down mostly to availability.

3 hours ago, Jeppes said:

Buy a card with decent cooler and then do the deshraud mod for it.

What exactly is that?

4 hours ago, Cyracus said:

There's a few options like this https://www.arctic.de/en/ax4  you can also rig a cpu cooler to them with small heatsinks on the memory and power delivery

4 hours ago, For Science! said:

You should look up Rajintek Morpheus II and Arctic Accelreo Extreme IV

I like. Do these bolt onto the card in place of the stock cooler? 300 watts capacity is certainly good for the 150 watt card that I'm looking into. Definitely appreciated.

Just now, Rusty Proto said:

Last sentence, though I have yet to acquire it--RTX 3060, likely from EVGA, and whether I get the TI, Founder's Edition, or whatever may come down mostly to availability.

What exactly is that?

I like. Do these bolt onto the card in place of the stock cooler? 300 watts capacity is certainly good for the 150 watt card that I'm looking into. Definitely appreciated.

Assuming it is compatible, then yes, it replaces the stock cooler entirely. Depending on the fans you use, it can end up being a pretty thick boy.

I never really thought of replacing the cooler on my 980 Classified.. it was always great. The cooler on my 3070Ti is pretty good. No need to take the shroud off.. increasing your case flow would probably be better overall.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

I'm not sure there is any with mounting hole for the rtx 3k series. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

13 hours ago, Rusty Proto said:

What exactly is that?

Just removing the plastic shroud with the fans, and zip-tie-ing standard 120x25mm or 92x25mm fans to the bare metal heatsink itself. Either using a big zip-tie all around, or 4 smaller thin, but long zip-ties in each of the 4 corners of the fan where the screws go in.

I have a Morpheus II on my 5700xt. I did it for fun and for noise reduction. I made a post about it last year. The only problem I've had is the "heat tape" coming unstuck for the heatsink on the VRMs when I moved my tower recently. I'm going to try a thermal glue recipe I found online that combines paste and glue for a less permanent bond. Just haven't had the time. However, even with no heatsink, vrm temps are acceptable during gaming if I don't increase my power limit.