Attention prnt.sc browsers

TechRodent

Hello LTT Community,
i watched LTT's newest video „Trying TikTok Computer Hacks...“.
(First of all sorry for bad English, im a non native Speaker and im in a Hurry)
When Linus mentioned the part with the https://prnt.sc/ screenshots i thought a person would never upload his BTC or ETH wallet data .
So when I made a new screenshot with the tool e.g this one: https://prnt.sc/1rbsz09 and changed the last letter to e.g. 0 some wallet Information shows up.
But the new screenshots are full of sometimes the same screenshots!
I decided to Login into some of the sites and found out that some of the Websites are 30-60 days old!
The Login was sucessfull  and i was presented this:

image.thumb.png.082654fd91bc92d4b5f98e5d5a4ea322.png

A wallet with over 128 Thousand USD in BTC and ETH. BUT the site looked sus. 
So i tried to pay out a small amount and was presented with a message saying:
You have to send 50$ in BTC to this BTC-Adress: XXX to confirm your payout!

Its a big Scam!

After LTTs Video https://prnt.sc/ gets flooded with screens with information about wallets. The sites look different but you always have to pay 50 USD!
I guess its because the scammers saw the video and thought that they could scam some people because Linus just recommended
the scammers hope that you browsed prnt.sc (and did consider stealing someone's wallet) and do not question the paywall.

I hope that nobody falls for this scam.
(Of course, some will now say that these people deserved it because they wanted to steal BTC but i think that e.g. young teenagers which might not think about it to much could loose $ 50 which is a lot of money for them).

Greetings

EDIT: I tracked some BTC-Adresses mentioned and i found out that these adresses hold 0 BTC and have 0 transactions.

2 hours ago, TechRodent said:

After your Video https://prnt.sc/ gets flooded with screens with information about wallets. The sites look different but you always have to pay 50 USD!
I guess its because the scammers saw the video and thought that they could scam some people because Linus just recommended to browse prnt.sc if you have nothing to do.

Most likely the platform was already being used for this before LTT's video. The video only went live on YouTube today and you mentioned some of the sites are a few months old. 

The problem with recommending sites that feature user generated content is you're relying on that user content to be in line with your values and trusting that anything malicious, such as these scams, would be removed by the platform in a timely manner. Either prnt.sc isn't aware of the scams, simply doesn't care and doesn't moderate images uploaded to their site, or is actively involved in the scams.

And wow. I just visited about 20 different URLs by changing random letters/numbers in the URL and every single one of them was a Bitcoin scam image. They're not even all the same image or website either, I've seen probably half a dozen different scams. I actually cannot find an image on there that isn't a Bitcoin scam. 

It's odd they're using prnt.sc for this since it doesn't look like the images are easily discoverable and browsable (at least not that I could see on mobile, I might be missing a a page that lets you browse uploads like Imgur has). I wonder if the scammers intention is to actually try and catch people going to random image links or if they're using the images somewhere else in the scam and just using the prnt.sc site as an image host.

2 hours ago, TechRodent said:

BUT the site looked sus. 

My God. The ancient hieroglyphs predicted his coming.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

It's odd they're using prnt.sc for this since it doesn't look like the images are easily discoverable and browsable (at least not that I could see on mobile, I might be missing a a page that lets you browse uploads like Imgur has). I wonder if the scammers intention is to actually try and catch people going to random image links or if they're using the images somewhere else in the scam and just using the prnt.sc site as an image host.

Scenario: You discover that prnt.sc has a (presumably) sequential pathing to its image uploads and you get curious. You sift through images out of curiosity, hoping to find something interesting. Then, you stumble upon a BTC wallet that has thousands of dollars in it! With all the credentials and everything! Maybe your "this is too good to be true" alarm bells don't go off this particular instance, and you rush to see if you can get in on it. There's a paywall at first, but that's no issue for such a large payday. Then, bam. Scammed out of that money.

And I guess that's how the scam operates. Honestly I think it's somewhat brilliant that they're choosing a method like this, since it preys on a particular type of curiosity that comes from a site that sequentially paths its image uploads. There are other ways to separate fools from their money, but this doesn't seem like a half bad one.

Disclaimer: I don't condone any of these activities (neither scamming people, nor trying to steal someone's BTC with supposed wallet credentials, nor even browsing prnt.sc for that matter...), these are just my observations.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

I want to make sure I understand: 

The warning here is that if you use prnt.sc to illegally access accounts that are not your own and then try to steal money from those accounts* then you may be making yourself the victim of a more elaborate fraud/honey pot?

So basically "Attention thieving assholes, there might be other thieving assholes out there looking to thieve your asshole." got it.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

Agreeing with above. Imo you should chance title from "warning" to something more appropriate. You should also, now that you have time, edit the thread to include disclaimer/tldr stating that LTT is not at fault here and this site is just used as yet another platform for scams.

Otherwise, anytime LTT has video featuring Steam, we would have threads warning about all the scams done there. Or on eBay, Amazon etc.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, Spotty said:

And wow. I just visited about 20 different URLs by changing random letters/numbers in the URL and every single one of them was a Bitcoin scam image.

Yep, same here. Went there, changed numbers, letters what have you. All of them ended up being crypto related, with usernames and passwords for some.

Someone who sees this on TikTok and isn't techsavvy at all, won't even bother trying a different address, they'll think they got super lucky and then get scammed.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

Yep, same here. Went there, changed numbers, letters what have you. All of them ended up being crypto related, with usernames and passwords for some.

Someone who sees this on TikTok and isn't techsavvy at all, won't even bother trying a different address, they'll think they got super lucky and then get scammed.

Exactly. Young teens might think they just made enough money for their life and get scammed (even though they had bad itentions their parents probably paid for it)

Seems like both poetic justice and a $50 life lesson for the affected people. 

It's hard to even get mad at scammers like that. 

As an addendum to this thread, I'd like to alert unwitting users to another common scam: Often times when you go online and attempt to find contacts to buy large amounts of explosive material from so that you can commit acts of terrorism, those 'sellers' are actually the police and the whole thing is just a setup to get you arrested.

Young teens might think they found enough explosives to take out the government building of their choice and get scammed (Even though they had bad intentions parents probably paid for it)

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade