How much should I worry with using Antec VP450P with the 5600x?

Filingo

I plan to use my existing Antec VP450P: https://www.antec.com/product/power/vp450p-plus

And saw that it's on Tier D on the list here: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list/

*Note: I will be using a low power consuming GPU, this is not a gaming PC

Is there anything to worry about, like the PSU dying and killing everything like the Gigabyte PSU?

Or it's a safer thing?

not a good psu. would not use it. it wont probably kill your pc, but there is always the change

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

9 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

not a good psu. would not use it. it wont probably kill your pc, but there is always the change

The vp are also old old so a lot of protections and fine voltage regulations just don't exist in this. Would not be surprised if the motherboard would give a error with it. I do not recommend op uses this psu.

14 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

oh no.. time for a new psu i guess

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The vp are also old old so a lot of protections and fine voltage regulations just don't exist in this. Would not be surprised if the motherboard would give a error with it. I do not recommend op uses this psu.

It's not the VP, it's the VP-Plus.. wonder what the plus in this though

I think I will go for the Corsair CX650M

Is the CX NON-modular still better than the modular one?

I remember jonnyguru once posted in this forum about it

1 minute ago, Filingo said:

oh no.. time for a new psu i guess

It's not the VP, it's the VP-Plus.. wonder what the plus in this though

I think I will go for the Corsair CX650M

Is the CX NON-modular still better than the modular one?

Basically the same crap but released 2 years later (2014).

The cx series has been discontinued and replaced with the cv series. The cx non m gray label would be better.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Basically the same crap but released 2 years later (2014).

The cx series has been discontinued and replaced with the cv series. The cx non m gray label would be better.

Are you sure? I found this post where jonnyguru says a CX replacement will be called CX:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1361906-is-the-corsair-cx-discontinued/

Also, CX had the colorful generation which was very bad, and the current gray label, which is good.

But then they also have 2 models: modular and non-modular and jonnyguru once said the internals of the CX non-modulars are better and the cx seem to still be on sale:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Bronze-Certified-Modular-CP-9020103-NA/dp/B01B72W1VA/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=cx+corsair&qid=1630576385&sr=8-1

Also, how can CV replace CX? CV is worse isn't it?

4 minutes ago, Filingo said:

Are you sure? I found this post where jonnyguru says a CX replacement will be called CX:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1361906-is-the-corsair-cx-discontinued/

Also, CX had the colorful generation which was very bad, and the current gray label, which is good.

But then they also have 2 models: modular and non-modular and jonnyguru once said the internals of the CX non-modulars are better and the cx seem to still be on sale:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Bronze-Certified-Modular-CP-9020103-NA/dp/B01B72W1VA/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=cx+corsair&qid=1630576385&sr=8-1

That was a confusion on my end there. The cx will be replaced by a new unit but for now all that is in stock is the last stock. Go get the good cx one and call it a day. But for that price I would just advise you to get a revolution D.F. or msi mpg psu. Same price but MUCH higher quality units.

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

That was a confusion on my end there. The cx will be replaced by a new unit but for now all that is in stock is the last stock. Go get the good cx one and call it a day. But for that price I would just advise you to get a revolution D.F. or msi mpg psu. Same price but MUCH higher quality units.

Thank you, I will look into these

Do you know when the new CX is coming out?

22 minutes ago, Filingo said:

No clue. No reason to wait because the psu's I recommended are out and top of the line units whilst the cx aims for upper mid range.

38 minutes ago, Filingo said:

CX is discontinued, they are not refreshing it.

Can you list the parts of your system, including the low power GPU ?
And if you provide a link to the stores you will be buying from, we can help you choose something good that will fit into your budget.

2 hours ago, electropical said:

CX is discontinued, they are not refreshing it.

Can you list the parts of your system, including the low power GPU ?
And if you provide a link to the stores you will be buying from, we can help you choose something good that will fit into your budget.

I only buy from Amazon

CPU: 5600x

Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk (Haven't decided yet if I return it for the Wifi edge, but they're the same)

GPU: MSI GT 630 2GB

1 hour ago, Filingo said:

I only buy from Amazon

Amazon US, I guess?

1 hour ago, Filingo said:

CPU: 5600x

Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk (Haven't decided yet if I return it for the Wifi edge, but they're the same)

GPU: MSI GT 630 2GB

Cool, that means you've got a LOT of options, your system's power consumption really is super low.

For now, the cheapest "decent" unit I can think of for such a system would be the EVGA B5 550W at $45 (brand new, LLC + DC-DC, fully modular) :
https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Modular-Warranty-Compact-220-B5-0550-V1/dp/B084RGH8W4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=evga+b5+550w&qid=1630596600&sr=8-1

To me, this looks like a steal, almost too good to be true.
( @jonnyGURU : Would love to have your opinion on this unit, especially that you've probably already reviewed it).

@Filingo : Is the GT 630 a placeholder, or do you plan on keeping the system as is for a long time ?

6 hours ago, Filingo said:

I plan to use my existing Antec VP450P: https://www.antec.com/product/power/vp450p-plus

And saw that it's on Tier D on the list here: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list/

*Note: I will be using a low power consuming GPU, this is not a gaming PC

Is there anything to worry about, like the PSU dying and killing everything like the Gigabyte PSU?

Or it's a safer thing?

vp450p is without a doubt, too old and crappy for a > $300 modern CPU

answer is very simple, time to upgrade your PC

8 hours ago, jaslion said:

The cx series has been discontinued and replaced with the cv series. 

This is FALSE information.  The CV DOES NOT replace CX.  It fits in a tier below CX and should retail for less than CX.  If anything, you could say CV replaces VS as it seems that Corsair's sales people are migrating all of their customers from VS to CV.

8 hours ago, Filingo said:

As I said, CV doesn't replace CX.  CX has just been discontinued because it was "too expensive" to make.

2 hours ago, electropical said:

For now, the cheapest "decent" unit I can think of for such a system would be the EVGA B5 550W at $45 (brand new, LLC + DC-DC, fully modular) :
https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Modular-Warranty-Compact-220-B5-0550-V1/dp/B084RGH8W4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=evga+b5+550w&qid=1630596600&sr=8-1

( @jonnyGURU : Would love to have your opinion on this unit, especially that you've probably already reviewed it).

I have no idea what's inside a B5.

But apparently I have one coming on Tuesday.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Doesn't B5 have an obnoxiously high fan curve? too many evga psus to keep track of...

6 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

This is FALSE information.  The CV DOES NOT replace CX.  It fits in a tier below CX and should retail for less than CX.  If anything, you could say CV replaces VS as it seems that Corsair's sales people are migrating all of their customers from VS to CV.

As I said, CV doesn't replace CX.  CX has just been discontinued because it was "too expensive" to make.

Our local distributor makes this claim. And they offer CV as RMA of CX 😞

Are there any plans to refresh CX on Corsair?

1 hour ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Our local distributor makes this claim. And they offer CV as RMA of CX 😞

Are there any plans to refresh CX on Corsair?

Local distributor as in Comsvil?

If so, I need to reach out to them.

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Local distributor as in Comsvil?

If so, I need to reach out to them.

Yes. Comsvil. They claim the CV is the successor to the CX and has the same performance 😞

What about global (Taiwan?) RMA? Will it be offered as a CX-F?

2 hours ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Yes. Comsvil. They claim the CV is the successor to the CX and has the same performance 😞

Ok.  I'll give the sales team a heads up.

2 hours ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

What about global (Taiwan?) RMA? Will it be offered as a CX-F?

Should be CX-F or RM, but I'll confirm.  It was made VERY CLEAR that CV was a cost up VS. Not a CX replacement.  So I'm a little upset that some are saying that CV replaces CX.  If it replaced CX, it would be called CX.

15 hours ago, electropical said:

Amazon US, I guess?

Cool, that means you've got a LOT of options, your system's power consumption really is super low.

@Filingo : Is the GT 630 a placeholder, or do you plan on keeping the system as is for a long time ?

Thank you! Might consider it, does look good. Hopefully someone reviews it soon. GT630 IS a placeholder, but I guess that for a long long time...

15 hours ago, 17030644 said:

vp450p is without a doubt, too old and crappy for a > $300 modern CPU

answer is very simple, time to upgrade your PC

Alright then!

12 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

@jonnyGURU Will you tear it down and update us here on the forum? 😄 I really enjoy PSU reviews

the B5 sohuld be fine with 5600x.  but if you are going to get better edicated gpu, then i would not recommend it. no reviews and its EVGA so no 😞

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

4 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

the B5 sohuld be fine with 5600x.  but if you are going to get better edicated gpu, then i would not recommend it. no reviews and its EVGA so no 😞

Hopefully Gamers Nexus will do the OPP test he did on the Gigabyte, Patrick Stone is really good at doing these

2 hours ago, Filingo said:

Thank you! Might consider it, does look good. Hopefully someone reviews it soon. GT630 IS a placeholder, but I guess that for a long long time...

Since the GT630 is just a placeholder, and unless JG reviews it favorably, we better go with something safe... 🤔

What are your plans for the future? Any idea what GPU will be replacing the GT630?

11 hours ago, Filingo said:

Alright then!

@jonnyGURU Will you tear it down and update us here on the forum? 😄 I really enjoy PSU reviews

It was a "gift" from someone.  I just plan to run it through the Chroma and then pass it back to the rightful owner for the teardown.