Windows 11 and telemetry.

Hi all, hope everyone is safe and well on this hot and humid day in Japan. 

I've been thinking about this over the last few days as I was turning off cortana and telemetry/metrics in windows 10 on my work laptop and was wondering if and how much telemetry/metric gathering and cortana will be in windows 11 and will it be able to be disabled completely? Also what is the difference between a local account and logging into your Hotmail account? The get even more out of windows thing? 

Oh and edge, is it worth using?

Cheers all 

Edge is just another Chromium browser now, very similar (besides looks) to google's Chrome.

(But i think the way Microsnot tries to force it upon people is enough reason to not use it hehehe)

My guess is that W11 will have even more telemetry, but thats completely based on the lack of morals manufaceters have imho. 😄

Local account is just on your PC (works offline essentially), using your Hotmail it will link your Microsoft key and some more info to an online account.
Has some benefits but if you're a privacy conscious person might not be the best way to go.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

15 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Edge is just another Chromium browser now, very similar (besides looks) to google's Chrome.

(But i think the way Microsnot tries to force it upon people is enough reason to not use it hehehe)

My guess is that W11 will have even more telemetry, but thats completely based on the lack of morals manufaceters have imho. 😄

Local account is just on your PC (works offline essentially), using your Hotmail it will link your Microsoft key and some more info to an online account.
Has some benefits but if you're a privacy conscious person might not be the best way to go.

i try to stick to local account as much as possible, like my privacy for the most part for whatever that means in this day and age of everything online nothing is hidden no privacy. its getting to the point of "you want privacy? what are you hiding?!"

1 hour ago, Tydfil said:

Hi all, hope everyone is safe and well on this hot and humid day in Japan. 

I've been thinking about this over the last few days as I was turning off cortana and telemetry/metrics in windows 10 on my work laptop and was wondering if and how much telemetry/metric gathering and cortana will be in windows 11 and will it be able to be disabled completely? Also what is the difference between a local account and logging into your Hotmail account? The get even more out of windows thing? 

Oh and edge, is it worth using?

Cheers all 

Windows 11 has the same amount of telemetry data tracking as of Windows 10.

And you have the same options available:

1523540149_Screenshot2021-08-26213829.thumb.png.0728b7b3ba0ffced12db659689e40208.png

Cortana is still there under Windows 11, just taking a back seat now.

Cortana is transformed into technologies which has been implemented in various Microsoft products, such as Office. An example is under PowerPoint, where you can dump in you text and images on each slide, and Office has a feature (which uses Cortana AI technology on the back) to generate the slides look with the provided content. So, in other words, you can quickly dump in the content, and it will make it look nice and professional for you, saving time.

Microsoft linked account brings the following:

• Auto setups all Microsoft built-in apps. Mail, Calendar, OneDrive, OneNote, Edge, etc. (This will also pull Edge extensions that were previously sync, saved passwords, etc.. that you have chosen to sync or not).
  • Access your Store app purchases (obviously), and don't need to set it up.
  • Allow easier re-install experience of the OS if you also upgrade your system, where the product key will not be entirely based on a generated id based on your hardware, but rather, your MS linked account. So, when you login for the first time, Windows 10/11 will auto-activate, despite a large system hardware change.
  • Your system settings are also sync. So, you can configure your system once, and some of the settings will be configure on your other system.

Another words, is brings system setup convenience for not only your current system, but your secondary devices as well, and future devices. It also helps makes turning your other devices act as an extension from each other, and not this completely separated world. If you have a desktop PC and a laptop, this helps a lot.

Chrome is Chromium with Google services.
Edge is Chromium with Microsoft services, but also includes a lot of refinements, optimizations and additional features.
So, despite being essentially, Chrome, it is lighter on system resources, aims to consumes less power (think mobile devices) while keeping the same performance. It also includes the needed DRM and codec to enjoy 1080p Netflix and above quality (may also apply to other video streaming service, I don't know), and brings a lot of the old Edge really good features that were shamefully not enjoyed due to web browser itself not being great. For example, PDF viewer, smooth scrolling and improved touch experience (Microsoft has done a lot of contributions on the Chromium projects, and many things Chrome now enjoys, including smooth scrolling, but some of them, are refines/polished further).