5600x vs 5800x

Greetings I'm looking to upgrade my CPU, Im currently running a 2600 and was looking to upgrade to a 5600x or a 5800x using the website CPU.USERBENCHMARK I learned that the 5800x is only about 6% better so it doesn't seem like its worth the extra 150$ and I could put that towards a better cooler and still have some extra money in my pocket. Im basically just looking for an opinion from someone whos more knowledgeable than I at weather the 5800x is worth the extra dough. Thanks!

User benchmark is pretty unreliable, and I wouldn't recommend a CPU upgrade based on that site.

What games do you play most, and what do you do most on your system? The difference between the CPUs is two cores, so if two extra cores benefits you, it's worth considering.

But if you want generally good gaming performance for a decent price, the 5600X is usually far more suitable.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

If you're doing streaming/productivity stuff in addition to gaming, go for the 5800x.

If not, then the 5600x is the better value choice. I only game and the 5600x has been fantastic so far!

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Don't trust userbenchmark, at all. I'd get the 5600X and spend the change somewhere else

-Sincerely yours,

5800X owner

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

User benchmark is pretty unreliable, and I wouldn't recommend a CPU upgrade based on that site.

What games do you play most, and what do you do most on your system? The difference between the CPUs is two cores, so if two extra cores benefits you, it's worth considering.

But if you want generally good gaming performance for a decent price, the 5600X is usually far more suitable.

I've been playing lots of Tarkov, definitely going to play lots of New World when that launches, I often stream to my friends on discord, I also don't want to completely block my self out from streaming on twitch as I would like to dive into that eventually.

Thanks for letting me know about Userbenchmark lol!  You all had the same impression about that site. If I wanted to compare components where would you all suggest I go.

Just now, Tyderas said:

Thanks for letting me know about Userbenchmark lol!  You all had the same impression about that site. If I wanted to compare components where would you all suggest I go.

I'd look around in forums and watch those performance comparison vids on YT

2 minutes ago, Tyderas said:

I've been playing lots of Tarkov, definitely going to play lots of New World when that launches, I often stream to my friends on discord, I also don't want to completely block my self out from streaming on twitch as I would like to dive into that eventually.

Sounds like a 5600X and an Nvidia GPU would be a good combo. Streaming with NVENC off the GPU will delivery a pretty high quality stream.

1 minute ago, Tyderas said:

It's really hard to compare CPUs in a convenient way, for example the 6% better number, that just doesn't mean anything. If you run rendering software for example, 2 extra cores will make a ton of difference. Same with games that are super demanding on the CPU like cyberpunk.

Best to check independent reviews, from places like hardware unboxed.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Sounds like a 5600X and an Nvidia GPU would be a good combo. Streaming with NVENC off the GPU will delivery a pretty high quality stream.

It's really hard to compare CPUs in a convenient way, for example the 6% better number, that just doesn't mean anything. If you run rendering software for example, 2 extra cores will make a ton of difference. Same with games that are super demanding on the CPU like cyberpunk.

Best to check independent reviews, from places like hardware unboxed.

Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure if this changes anything but I forgot to mention I do play games in 2650x1440. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a  EVGA 3070 XC3 earlier this year and am so far loving it!

Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure if this changes anything but I forgot to mention I do play games in 2650x1440. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a  EVGA 3070 XC3 earlier this year and am so far loving it!

5600x will be perfect for you since as commented above the streaming will take advantage of NVENC.

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

6 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

5600x will be perfect for you since as commented above the streaming will take advantage of NVENC.

Thanks! I know this isn't really the correct thread, but I'm currently running 2 sticks of 8GB 3200mhz corsair vengeance ram, with the extra dough Ill have should I consider getting some more ram? and if so is vengeance fine? I know that Ryzens use memory 

Thanks! I know this isn't really the correct thread, but I'm currently running 2 sticks of 8GB 3200mhz corsair vengeance ram, with the extra dough Ill have should I consider getting some more ram? and if so is vengeance fine? I know that Ryzens use memory 

Like the Crucial Ballistix you have is advertised on newegg "for amd"

23 minutes ago, Tyderas said:

I usually go here PassMark Software - CPU Benchmark Charts

but I suggest you also read

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Review | TechPowerUp

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Review | TechPowerUp

It was from those full reviews above I went for the 5800x because it had the faster single core that suited some of the games I play and it has the faster multicore so better for other games, and more cores means I can run a few more programs in the background. But the 5600x is good too if you don't need the extra %s

5 minutes ago, Tyderas said:

if you don't need the capacity then faster RAM will be better, depending on the latency of your current kit. 3200 CL16 is a bit better than 3600 CL18 for example, but the actual in-use benefit for gaming is going to be negligible at best. There's also a whole thing about Ryzen 5000 benefiting from dual-rank DIMMS (or 4 single rank DIMMS), but upgrading specifically for that is likely not a good return on value.

2 minutes ago, Tyderas said:

Like the Crucial Ballistix you have is advertised on newegg "for amd"

Just marketing BS. Your motherboard should have a QVL for RAM that will give you the highest chance of success for XMP (DOCP for AMD), but that doesn't mean other quality kits won't work. My RAM was not on my motherboard's QVL, but works just fine at 3600 MHz. Regardless, DDR4 is DDR4 and is not made specifically for one CPU brand versus another.

15 minutes ago, Tyderas said:

2 sticks will be fine, as will 16Gb.

My system uses 12Gb as a rule, but I decided to get 4 sticks in the end, It makes for no gaps in the LED display and maybe 32Gb to allow room for program expansion demands of the future? 

11 minutes ago, rockyroller said:

I usually go here PassMark Software - CPU Benchmark Charts

but I suggest you also read

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Review | TechPowerUp

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Review | TechPowerUp

It was from those full reviews above I went for the 5800x because it had the faster single core that suited some of the games I play and it has the faster multicore so better for other games, and more cores means I can run a few more programs in the background. But the 5600x is good too if you don't need the extra %s

Thanks for the input! Which games do you play that benefit from the single core if you dont mind me asking.

3 minutes ago, rockyroller said:

2 sticks will be fine, as will 16Gb.

My system uses 12Gb as a rule, but I decided to get 4 sticks in the end, It makes for no gaps in the LED display and maybe 32Gb to allow room for program expansion demands of the future? 

Awesome news thanks!

12 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

if you don't need the capacity then faster RAM will be better, depending on the latency of your current kit. 3200 CL16 is a bit better than 3600 CL18 for example, but the actual in-use benefit for gaming is going to be negligible at best. There's also a whole thing about Ryzen 5000 benefiting from dual-rank DIMMS (or 4 single rank DIMMS), but upgrading specifically for that is likely not a good return on value.

Just marketing BS. Your motherboard should have a QVL for RAM that will give you the highest chance of success for XMP (DOCP for AMD), but that doesn't mean other quality kits won't work. My RAM was not on my motherboard's QVL, but works just fine at 3600 MHz. Regardless, DDR4 is DDR4 and is not made specifically for one CPU brand versus another.

I dont think I got beyond 10 gbs while under pretty heavy load so capacity doesn't seem to be an issue. Thanks for your help!

29 minutes ago, Tyderas said:

Thanks for the input! Which games do you play that benefit from the single core if you dont mind me asking.

Awesome news thanks!

turn base. They don't usually have ultra high graphics, sometimes need multicores, like Civ VI but they do share is a need to calculates each game turn for each AI so the faster the individual core the less time each AI turn takes.

My 5600X is a sweet little cpu, coming from a 5900X owner.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's