Need advice in building Terminals to connect to a VM server

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
1 minute ago, CubisticWings4 said:

Anything over $1k is a major strain lol

WIth the price of the audit your gonna be over that.

Im guessing you have read this PDF. https://www.acq.osd.mil/cmmc/docs/CMMC_ModelMain_V1.02_20200318.pdf

You don't really have too much do to, make sure you have permissions setup, reasonble physical security, some anti malware system.

4 minutes ago, CubisticWings4 said:

ny old PC we can find to run XP. It's likely if we are ever absolutely forced to upgrade to a new system, we'll likely shut down. That being said: we'll likely need new networking hardware for "new" internet connected PC's.

Yea get rid of xp doing anything that you don't have to here. I don't see a reason to use a server + vms here.

Good Afternoon and Happy Monday!

I am trying to build a blueprint for a VM server (also would like recommendations for VM software/hosts) that connects to multiple terminals for running POS (point of sale) software.

Parameters:

All devices would be on an internal wired network (would like options for allowing remoting into a VM to work remotely)

POS software uses Pervasive SQL (from 1999, I know, it's a nightmare for me too.)

No more than 10 users

Self-taught IT admin of 8 years in a company of 7 ppl.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

For virtualization in an enterprise environment VMWare/ESXi is going to have some of the best support and documentation.

For thin clients you could use almost anything, low end PC, Raspberry Pi, I work for a company that is using something called a 10zig.

I have less then zero knowledge on POS systems

Good luck 🙂 

10 minutes ago, CubisticWings4 said:

connects to multiple terminals for running POS (point of sale) software.

ellabroate on what you mean by "terminal"?

Just now, manikyath said:

ellabroate on what you mean by "terminal"?

Only use for it is to connect to a VM server. Not really planning on installing a traditional OS (Windows) on them. 

When they turn on, I want them to automagically connect to the VM server and load it.

Take a look at the Dell Wyse thin clients.  They are cheap and work great.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

is there a specific reason why you wanna virtualize this?

with such a low number of systems the big advantage of going for VM´s which is only having to update and maintain one place basically fades away as you can easily maintain these systems with one person completely manually if needs be.

also the system you would need for 10 VM´s would cost a lot and you still need terminals at which point you may as well just build simple office PC´s and run everything locally.

On 8/18/2021 at 8:53 AM, Pixel5 said:

is there a specific reason why you wanna virtualize this?

with such a low number of systems the big advantage of going for VM´s which is only having to update and maintain one place basically fades away as you can easily maintain these systems with one person completely manually if needs be.

also the system you would need for 10 VM´s would cost a lot and you still need terminals at which point you may as well just build simple office PC´s and run everything locally.

Sorry for the late reply.

We need to conform to CMMC standards (I wanna say it's the same as NIST SP 800-171) and our POS Software cannot be upgraded and cannot be on the same network as our internet-connected devices. I wanted to consolidate hardware and possibly use our pre-existing PC's as "terminals" (although I'm not sure how we could do that, no formal IT training, yet) 

I am the IT team. So if I can make my job easier while also having to do sales, cs, management, and so on, I'd like to.

These new standards a nightmare for small businesses. We have a VERY limited budget. Some of our current hardware had to come out of my pocket. This new system could likely kill our company.

I'm just racking my brain and the hivemind's for options and solutions.

38 minutes ago, CubisticWings4 said:

We need to conform to CMMC standards (I wanna say it's the same as NIST SP 800-171)

What level, and defantily not the same, but 800-171 + about 20 controls were used to make cmmc l3

What problems are you trying to solve with thin clients? Its normally more expensive, esp at this scale, and doesn't make sense to me. Id keep a seperate network for eol systems, and keep a seperatea network for things that need internet and normal tasks like email.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What level, and defantily not the same, but 800-171 + about 20 controls were used to make cmmc l3

Level 1, just enough to stay in business with our main customer. We literally cannot afford to go any higher.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What problems are you trying to solve with thin clients? Its normally more expensive, esp at this scale, and doesn't make sense to me. Id keep a seperate network for eol systems, and keep a seperatea network for things that need internet and normal tasks like email.

That's what I am planning to do. I was mainly contemplating a way to lower the amount of maintenance work, using cheaper hardware rather than having to purchase a "new" PC every time they go out. Since we are on the MS Gulf Coast, our warehouse PC's are constantly dying due to overheating.

11 minutes ago, CubisticWings4 said:

Level 1, just enough to stay in business with our main customer. We literally cannot afford to go any higher.

Yea that shouldn't be that bad then, still probably not cheap.

11 minutes ago, CubisticWings4 said:

That's what I am planning to do. I was mainly contemplating a way to lower the amount of maintenance work, using cheaper hardware rather than having to purchase a "new" PC every time they go out. Since we are on the MS Gulf Coast, our warehouse PC's are constantly dying due to overheating.

What types of PCs are you using? If your running xp or a old os here, Id just keep buying old pcs on ebay until you move to a newer system.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea that shouldn't be that bad then, still probably not cheap.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

What types of PCs are you using? If your running xp or a old os here, Id just keep buying old pcs on ebay until you move to a newer system.

any old PC we can find to run XP. It's likely if we are ever absolutely forced to upgrade to a new system, we'll likely shut down. That being said: we'll likely need new networking hardware for "new" internet connected PC's.

Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to argue. I'm just exhausted from overworking and doing the jobs of 4 people.

1 minute ago, CubisticWings4 said:

WIth the price of the audit your gonna be over that.

Im guessing you have read this PDF. https://www.acq.osd.mil/cmmc/docs/CMMC_ModelMain_V1.02_20200318.pdf

You don't really have too much do to, make sure you have permissions setup, reasonble physical security, some anti malware system.

4 minutes ago, CubisticWings4 said:

ny old PC we can find to run XP. It's likely if we are ever absolutely forced to upgrade to a new system, we'll likely shut down. That being said: we'll likely need new networking hardware for "new" internet connected PC's.

Yea get rid of xp doing anything that you don't have to here. I don't see a reason to use a server + vms here.

15 hours ago, CubisticWings4 said:

These new standards a nightmare for small businesses. We have a VERY limited budget. Some of our current hardware had to come out of my pocket. This new system could likely kill our company.

not offense but if the company is running on such a tiny margin that a relatively small expensive of a few thousand is literally the death of the company you probably dont have a viable business model.

Typically upgrading IT infrastructure and end user devices is something that pays for itself over the efficiency improvements and time saved by not waiting for old systems but if the money for that is not there the business does literally not have the money to stay in business.

Either the owner is scraping as much as possible into his own pocket as long as it lasts or the business is failing anyways.

My advice beside that going for VM is not the right solution here is that instead of spending any of your own money you better spend some time getting your application related documents all in order and search for a new job as this sounds like the clock is ticking anyways.

6 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

not offense but if the company is running on such a tiny margin that a relatively small expensive of a few thousand is literally the death of the company you probably dont have a viable business model.

see my comment below:

Typically upgrading IT infrastructure and end user devices is something that pays for itself over the efficiency improvements and time saved by not waiting for old systems but if the money for that is not there the business does literally not have the money to stay in business.

🤷‍♂️

Either the owner is scraping as much as possible into his own pocket as long as it lasts or the business is failing anyways.

The owner is my father-in-law. I've seen their income. They take 1 check per quarter just to maintain their tax stuff. I make WAY more than them. All their personal stuff was paid off years ago. They're just really good with their money and pay their employees living wages.

It's more likely that we're getting snuffed out by corps due to inability to compete.

My advice beside that going for VM is not the right solution here is that instead of spending any of your own money you better spend some time getting your application related documents all in order and search for a new job as this sounds like the clock is ticking anyways.

Yeah. I'm going for my IT degree next year. Boss wanted to pay for it.