I tested Samsung's Galaxy Z Fold3 5G early and it's AWESOME!

Emily Young

Samsung's Unpacked event isn't over yet, but I managed to get my hands on a Galaxy Fold3 5G early - Let's put it through its paces!

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/events/unpacked/

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

When you say fast charging what are we talking?  15W?

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Well, at least I got to watch half the video before it went private.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

why got the video taken down? i was in the mifddle of watching it before it just said "this video is unavaileble" because it got set to private? 

Just now, ultimatemythbuster said:

Well, at least I got to watch half the video before it went private.

I only got to watch the first minute and a half x_x

i wonder what happened

Just started watching it and then poof Private Video 😞 Really wanted to see Linus's take before anyone else will wait the hour and see what happens.

1 minute ago, DodgeThis said:

Just started watching it and then poof Private Video 😞 Really wanted to see Linus's take before anyone else will wait the hour and see what happens.

Just came back online for me :-)

I am able to watch it through the link in this post , wierd

edit: oh it was back online

Thanks Linus and the team for this great coverage, really appreciated as always!

Still looks like a massive inelegant brick compared to my Mate Xs, although they're at least starting to make more decent use of the half-folded mode... 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I have to agree with Linus on the YouTube fumble - great example of when the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing LOL Creators suffer while Google and Samsung just keep pointing fingers at each other. I would enjoy giving Google THE FINGER every time an app update or OS update bricks an existing phone that worked fine prior.

As for the new hardware I'd love to pre-order except the 512 model only comes in black - that's hardly what anybody would call a choice considering the many color options they offer on the S21 for example. I really hope they release a gold color in the future because even the last model had that and also options to get a hinge in a different color as well.

The inclusion of dust protection is a HUGE DEAL for a folding device. I remember back in the early/mid 90's I had one of those high-end Sharp electronic organizers that would fold like a small laptop. Dust would get into the hinge mechanism all the time and I was constantly blowing it out and cleaning it. Nothing ever got damaged by it, but every time I took the bottom off to swap batteries you could clearly see the fine dust/dirt/lint inside near the hinge. I'm actually kind of shocked that it's taken 30 YEARS for folding pocketable devices to advance to this stage where the fold is now. But I'm also pretty sure if that folding display wasn't in play that IPX rating wouldn't be on the table either.

On 8/11/2021 at 1:27 PM, HenrySalayne said:

Is the Exynos for other markets confirmed? The German homepage shows a Snapdragon 888. 

image.png.24324fd73a3f8f21c8c7ff1ec878640f.png

Pardon the late reply to this, but: it's a Snapdragon 888 worldwide. Samsung's rule (so far) is to stick with Snapdragons for foldables.

So the one thing I want to know is this -  How does the screen hold up? Will it get creases eventually?  Are they working to make that better? 

18 hours ago, InfiniteHaHa82 said:

So the one thing I want to know is this -  How does the screen hold up? Will it get creases eventually?  Are they working to make that better? 

You'll still get creases around the fold. The film and display layers supposedly the Fold 3/Flip 3 screens about 80% more durable, hence S Pen support on the Fold, but it's not clear how well that translates to daily use.

• 9 months later...

Anyone know why the international version of the Fold 3 does not support 5G in the US? Also wondering, in Canada, do you guys get the international or US versions of Fold 3? Feels like a giant rip off to me - advertise 5G support and not getting it in the US having the international version.

Thank you!