My new house is gonna be MAGIC

AlexTheGreatish

will you have a video or have a video on "HOW TO" set up Home Assistant for beginners or someone who want to move from SmartThing to a more rebus system?

Same definitely interested in the hardware you end up picking out, and the end game with the home assistant setup.

I bought my house 2 years ago and have been upgrading and swapping stuff out over the past year and a half and have just got into using home assistant.
I'm migrating from smart things to home assistant with a usb radio but plan to put the usb sticks in 1 or 2 remote raspberry pi 4's and there are a few different ways i have seen to do this and really interested in what way you go. atm im still waiting for the cpu for my server to ship so i can get the project started.

So i bet that house has a massive already existing WIRED security system.  When i went to find a solution to this i only found two, one was the ring but the other was from these guys. 

https://konnected.io/

It works with homeassistant and its pretty cool. 

1 hour ago, Odis_Hertz said:

Can you provide a list/links of the equipment tested?

I legit created an account to come on here and say this! I am sure with the large volume of first time home buyers and just in general people buying new houses this could be a whole series they do at other people in the offices houses. Showing various systems and companies and offerings doing product reviews etc. I know it’s a big wild world for home automation but I know a lot of people liked the garage ones and now this series. So why not go all in on this and have someone write and investigate this further possible for LMG offices??

I don't know how electricity billing works in Canada, but those electric power sensors are great for EV owners in countries where your total electric consumption and the maximum capacity you contract are billed separately. For example, say you've resigned yourself to a 230 V/30 A connection because 45 A would be too expensive even if you'd like to have it for your EV, and in addition to that you only allow your charger to draw a maximum of 20 A because even at night you don't want to trip the RCBO. Instead, you can plug that sensor to your charger and have it automatically draw power just below the breaking point.

12 minutes ago, BlamBlaster said:

I legit created an account to come on here and say this! I am sure with the large volume of first time home buyers and just in general people buying new houses this could be a whole series they do at other people in the offices houses. Showing various systems and companies and offerings doing product reviews etc. I know it’s a big wild world for home automation but I know a lot of people liked the garage ones and now this series. So why not go all in on this and have someone write and investigate this further possible for LMG offices??

Thats why I created one here also.

2 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Linus' new house is about to get a whole lot smarter thanks to Z-Wave

Control4  w/ Schneider electric C BUS (Wiser)?

Just tried adding Ring Flood sensors as it a brand I trust, but to work with the ring android app it requires a Ring security hub. Luckily it is z-wave and worked with my smartthings hub and the smartthings/samsung app can send text message notifications. So thank goodness for standard z-wave protocol. 

15 minutes ago, Chris Will said:

Control4  w/ Schneider electric C BUS (Wiser)?

Certification for both Control4 and Clipsal/Schneider Kinda takes time to complete the course. Check out the Schneider and Clipsal range for wall displays, they are connected via : CAT 5E (Cheaper) with Poe, Customizable displays,  motion sensors, you can program literally everything on the CBUS system or use it with Home assistant...

Control4 is great but it is $$$ and not as good as CBUS.

2 hours ago, Odis_Hertz said:

Aeotec Multisensor 6, Z-Wave Plus 6-in1 motion, temperature, humidity, light, UV, vibration sensor

GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart Motion Sensor Light Switch

Aeotec by Aeon Labs ZW095 ZW095-A Home Energy Meter

Ecolink Zwave Plus Flood & Freeze Sensor, White

Those are what i could find on US Amazon, I could only find the Gen7 Aeotec hub on the UK Amazon, but th eGen 5 is on US, Gen 5 Hub

25 minutes ago, Chris Will said:

Certification for both Control4 and Clipsal/Schneider Kinda takes time to complete the course. Check out the Schneider and Clipsal range for wall displays, they are connected via : CAT 5E (Cheaper) with Poe, Customizable displays,  motion sensors, you can program literally everything on the CBUS system or use it with Home assistant...

Control4 is great but it is $$$ and not as good as CBUS.

Go with a more debonair interface, check out Clipsal and Schneider Electric.

3 hours ago, Odis_Hertz said:

2 hours ago, BlamBlaster said:

2 hours ago, Odis_Hertz said:

Thats why I created one here also.

First, thank you to those who've made an effort to post stuff from the video in the discussion, if we gave out prizes here, I'd give you one. 

And second, I'd like to pile on to the requests that links (if available) to stuff you're using in the home automation videos be places in the YouTube comments, or I'd settle for a reference to the forum where they could also be posted. 

I'm really liking the home automation series as it's something I'm working on as well and love hearing the tips about how you're doing things and what equipment has worked well for you. 

Keep up the good work. TIA. 

9 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Linus' new house is about to get a whole lot smarter thanks to Z-Wave

Anyone know of a forum post that is tracking this project?

Linus has much higher hopes for those motion sensors then I do. I just keep imagining them turning stuff off while people are still in the room. Like when he was talking about having one in the theater room and it turning stuff off after 2 hours. My first thought was I hope none ever watches a movie longer then 2 hours in the theater room or if they do they do I hope they do something to trigger the motion sensor mid movie. I will be interested to hear his thoughts on the sensors after living with them for while.

11 hours ago, Jack_22 said:

I don't know how electricity billing works in Canada, but those electric power sensors are great for EV owners in countries where your total electric consumption and the maximum capacity you contract are billed separately. For example, say you've resigned yourself to a 230 V/30 A connection because 45 A would be too expensive even if you'd like to have it for your EV, and in addition to that you only allow your charger to draw a maximum of 20 A because even at night you don't want to trip the RCBO. Instead, you can plug that sensor to your charger and have it automatically draw power just below the breaking point.

We don't get billed like that, but this is still a great application for the whole home energy monitoring thing.

4 hours ago, darwin006 said:

Linus has much higher hopes for those motion sensors then I do. I just keep imagining them turning stuff off while people are still in the room. Like when he was talking about having one in the theater room and it turning stuff off after 2 hours. My first thought was I hope none ever watches a movie longer then 2 hours in the theater room or if they do they do I hope they do something to trigger the motion sensor mid movie. I will be interested to hear his thoughts on the sensors after living with them for while.

there are movies longer than 2hrs tho take for example avengers endgame or all the hobbit/lord of the rings movies

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

this is the second time i've seen that macbook pro be used for like everything, has Jake switched to Mac or something? lol

She/Her

20 hours ago, Dravas said:

So i bet that house has a massive already existing WIRED security system.  When i went to find a solution to this i only found two, one was the ring but the other was from these guys. 

https://konnected.io/

It works with homeassistant and its pretty cool. 

If you're willing to go a bit more DIY ESPHome is also really good option. It works perfectly with Home Assistant and comes highly recommended by the Home Assistant community

7 hours ago, OrangeFerdi said:

Well, if you watch a two-hour film, the sensor will recognize that something is moving on the screen / on the television, and otherwise the people in the room also move during the two hours, right? For example if somone needs to pee, get new food or you stretch, change your sitting position etc.

No, the motion sensors are PIR based, it wouldn't recognize movement on a screen. You can look up how PIR motion sensors work and what kinds of motion they detect. If Linus wanted to do something based on media playing on the screen though that is possible in other ways.

12 hours ago, darwin006 said:

The magic piping all this into Home Assistant instead of just using dumb motion sensor switches is that you can combine the motion sensor with any other sensor to make that switching smarter.

For example, you can say "If media is still actively playing, don't turn things off, but when it does finish the currently playing media activate intermission mode, then if nothing happens within 10 minutes turn everything back off "

Or he could say something like "Hey Google, activate movie night mode" which would tell home assistant to set the lights and screen to a specific scene, then override the usual auto-off automations for the reminder of that night.

With Home Assistant able to pull in so much info the possibilities are endless how you can combine those sensors.

On 8/10/2021 at 1:08 AM, OrangeFerdi said:

Well, if you watch a two-hour film, the sensor will recognize that something is moving on the screen / on the television, and otherwise the people in the room also move during the two hours, right? For example if somone needs to pee, get new food or you stretch, change your sitting position etc.

From my experience at work with lights on motion sensors they would not be triggered by video playing on a screen and require a fair amount of movement to trigger. I believe the sensor timer at my work is 30 minutes and sitting at the desk, the lights seem to turn off on me all the time with me in the room. With young kids I could see the sensors being triggered mid movie with your examples but I think a teenager or adult would do everything you are talking about before they start the movie and in my experience the act of eating, drinking and general changes in seating position would not trigger the motion sensor.

I hope they work out as well as he hopes. And I am interested to hear his thoughts on the sensors after living with them for while.