Second thoughts about getting RTX 3070 for 1440P

c00face

Looking at the benchmarks, it seems like it's struggling at certain titles and if it's not struggling, it's roughly 70-80FPS at best on high quality. I'm debating if I should even consider this for the MMO coming out, New World. I feel stuck because for the price point of $1,250, I just don't think it's worth it at all. What are my options, am I wrong here, do I need to turn down quality settings?

I want visual. There's no point playing a nice game with turned down settings, just a huge disappointment.

2 minutes ago, c00face said:

What are my options

(never looked up 3070 1440p benchmark)

if you think you want a 3080 but it's much too expensive now, just wait for price to come down?

been using 3070 at 1440p, not much complaints tbh

3 minutes ago, c00face said:

do I need to turn down quality settings?

this would be ideal to save money, yes

3 minutes ago, c00face said:

There's no point playing a nice game with turned down settings, just a huge disappointment.

ya cant have everything, sadly

but $1250 for a 3070 is bleh for gaming, i would wait unless you can justify the price

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

11 minutes ago, c00face said:

I feel stuck because for the price point of $1,250, I just don't think it's worth it at all.

Even if you just play at 1080p, 1250$ is not the price of a 3070 at all. I would wait it to decrease, but 3070 is perfectly capable for 1440p60 on maxxed out settings.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I've been using a 2070 super at 1440p with no issues, and just upgraded to a 3070. 

I don't know what all games you play now but I haven't had an issue with the 3070 at 1440p. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

you know, its almost a year old card now… its still great but with inflated prices you shouldnt be too surprised.

But i also wonder what games it "struggles" with?

majority of games seem to "struggle" to fully utilize it actually…

This is still a 1440p - 4k card, not suitable for 1080 (its overkill )

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

you know, its almost a year old card now… its still great but with inflated prices you shouldnt be too surprised.

But i also wonder what games it "struggles" with?

majority of games seem to "struggle" to fully utilize it actually…

This is still a 1440p - 4k card, not suitable for 1080 (its overkill )

look through all the benchmarks and youll see it's roughly 60 FPS to 70 FPS in most triple A games. the game i want to play in 1440p is New World MMO.

3 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I've been using a 2070 super at 1440p with no issues, and just upgraded to a 3070. 

I don't know what all games you play now but I haven't had an issue with the 3070 at 1440p. 

yea, im not sure what games youre playing but it sounds like it isnt a triple A game and you didnt set it to high quality. i want to play in 1440p on high settings (not ultra) and even then looking at the benchmarks it can hit roughly 70 FPS to 80 FPS, which is not great. its playable, just not great.

12 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

Even if you just play at 1080p, 1250$ is not the price of a 3070 at all. I would wait it to decrease, but 3070 is perfectly capable for 1440p60 on maxxed out settings.

i failed to mention that im trying to play on 1440p 144hz

35 minutes ago, c00face said:

i failed to mention that im trying to play on 1440p 144hz

yeap, if you want 1440p/144fps/"high settings", you will need to invest a little more. Its not just "tripple A" its everything with good graphics basically, tripple A just means a lot of money into advertising, doesnt mean its actually  good, or necessarily demanding, often "AAA" is made to run on potato, they want people buy their games afterall .

Also need a very good CPU of course, otherwise a mid range cpu will bottleneck something like a 3080 hard…

Personally Im fine with 60fps, actually  i cant stand weird framerates  like "144" fps, i also have a gsync monitor, which doesnt even work, i hate that too…! Nope i play on my trusty , correctly calibrated 1080p monitor with nvidia DSR at whatever  resolution I can do at 60 fps, no stuttering, ghosting, etc, or worrying if my card is strong enough (because it always is), it's wonderful!  

But yeah. 3080 is minimum for what you want.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeap, if you want 1440p/144fps/"high settings", you will need to invest a little more. Its not just "tripple A" its everything with good graphics basically, tripple A just means a lot of money into advertising, doesnt mean its actually  good, or necessarily demanding, often "AAA" is made to run on potato, they want people buy their games afterall .

Also need a very good CPU of course, otherwise a mid range cpu will bottleneck something like a 3080 hard…

Personally Im fine with 60fps, actually  i cant stand weird framerates  like "144" fps, i also have a gsync monitor, which doesnt even work, i hate that too…! Nope i play on my trusty , correctly calibrated 1080p monitor with nvidia DSR at whatever  resolution I can do at 60 fps, no stuttering, ghosting, etc, or worrying if my card is strong enough (because it always is), it's wonderful!  

But yeah. 3080 is minimum for what you want.

thanks for the input appreciate it. also, do you think the r5 5600x is sufficient for the 3080? i think i might just have to settle for the 3070. i cant justify the prices for GPU currently.

36 minutes ago, c00face said:

thanks for the input appreciate it. also, do you think the r5 5600x is sufficient for the 3080? i think i might just have to settle for the 3070. i cant justify the prices for GPU currently.

no prob! and nah, i dont think 5600x is really a good choice for a 3080, more like a 5800x probably.

High end GPU = high end CPU.

It would definitely be good for a 3070 tho… with my 3600 im not really running into any bottlenecks, but im sure a better cpu could push the card even more (this all heavily depends  on workload obviously, but overall, you just dont want the cpu be the bottleneck)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I run an RTX 3070 at 5760x1200 (which iirc is more pixels than 1440p) and I've had no issues.

Remember, an RTX 3070 = RTX 2080Ti in performance, and people didn't have problems playing at 1440p on those cards.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

no prob! and nah, i dont think 5600x is really a good choice for a 3080, more like a 5800x probably.

Classic Kaine.

If youre in 1440p, your performance is going to be determined by your GPU regardless. HW Unboxed shows that this behavior still apply to this generation of CPU-GPU.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.