I have a plan but I am doubtful if it will work............

Lesgoooo

I am planning to put two 3090's in SLI with a SLI bridge in a Lian Li O11 dynamic ROG certified edition. I am doubtful if the thermals will hold up and if this is a good idea (excluding the fact that SLI is dead.) Please help me

If it helps, I am planning to put a 360mm radiator in the top for the CPU and I am going full NVMe M.2 SSD's and an ATX motherboard

But why do sli?

Seems kinda pointless to me

And what are you even gonna use it for?

If you really need a render farm or a crap ton of vram go pick up cheap nvidia tesla gpus off ebay, k80 is like 200-300$ on ebay and it has 24gb vram

Theres also tesla m cards but good luck finding a decent spec one that isnt pricey af

dude, 3090 is using nvlink not sli

it's for productivity work instead of gaming

a single 3090 has around 400 TDP,

u might wanna plan for more radiators

start with 3x 360 rad

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

5 hours ago, Lesgoooo said:

I am planning to put two 3090's in SLI with a SLI bridge in a Lian Li O11 dynamic ROG certified edition. I am doubtful if the thermals will hold up and if this is a good idea (excluding the fact that SLI is dead.) Please help me

If it helps, I am planning to put a 360mm radiator in the top for the CPU and I am going full NVMe M.2 SSD's and an ATX motherboard

dont sli unless your gonna water cool the gpus

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

3 hours ago, fonzz1e said:

dude, 3090 is using nvlink not sli

it's for productivity work instead of gaming

a single 3090 has around 400 TDP,

u might wanna plan for more radiators

start with 3x 360 rad

I meant Nvlink sorry and I'm not sure the O11 has enough space for 3 rads and let alone 360mm rads

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

dont sli unless your gonna water cool the gpus

I remember Linus did a video on SLIing two 3090's and he aircooled....................

6 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

But why do sli?

Seems kinda pointless to me

And what are you even gonna use it for?

If you really need a render farm or a crap ton of vram go pick up cheap nvidia tesla gpus off ebay, k80 is like 200-300$ on ebay and it has 24gb vram

Theres also tesla m cards but good luck finding a decent spec one that isnt pricey af

I have a use for it and its not VRAM 

10 hours ago, Lesgoooo said:

I remember Linus did a video on SLIing two 3090's and he aircooled....................

ya can do it but your top gpu will be 10 degrees hotter. unless you can find a 4 slot mb dont bother.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

17 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya can do it but your top gpu will be 10 degrees hotter. unless you can find a 4 slot mb dont bother.

sounds like OP needs to do more research 1st before posting 😅😅

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

21 minutes ago, fonzz1e said:

sounds like OP needs to do more research 1st before posting 😅😅

well sli is stupid and dead not only that 3090 is also stupid...so there not going to be much info. there was another post the other day of the same thing trying to sli 3090 in an 011 xl. but found out he uses it for work so its different. temps are still bad. didnt want to spend $1000 for an godlike mb for the 4 slot. might wc later on.

i like you profile pic haha

Edited by thrasher_565

On 8/1/2021 at 7:41 AM, thrasher_565 said:

But I was able to find an mb with 4 slots..................

Just now, Lesgoooo said:

And temps r not much to me

30 minutes ago, Lesgoooo said:

And temps r not much to me

They are to the card. 83c is their hard thermal limit and they WILL slow down to keep at that set in stone limit.

So if you are serious about doing this in a closed case even with good airflow and spacing and don't want to wreck the vram of the cards get watercooled ones and do that. Or since it's not the vram you want get a 3080ti for exact same performance but eliminating one of the hotter parts of the card.

On 7/31/2021 at 10:37 PM, thrasher_565 said:

well sli is stupid and dead not only that 3090 is also stupid...so there not going to be much info. there was another post the other day of the same thing trying to sli 3090 in an 011 xl. but found out he uses it for work so its different. temps are still bad. didnt want to spend $1000 for an godlike mb for the 4 slot. might wc later on.

i like you profile pic haha

After filling my case with Arctic p12s, the cards now run 10 degreese cooler, but the fans on the cards barely spin up.

From my experiments, the fan curve on the FE 3090s I have will sit the card in the mid 70s under full rendering load. The top card is always exactly 10 degreese warmer than the lower card, so 60~65 and 70~75 respective. 

Given the cards factory fan curves don't run the fans beyond 50% in my configuration even while reaching 75-80 degreese, I think this is a totally safe operating temperature within factory specs.

However, if you don't have optiminal airflow, or you want to overclock - a better soloution is needed. 

Make sure, if you do game, that you game off the lower, cooler card.

And - as somebody with duel 3090s, there is literally no support in any games for NVlink (SLI). I only use the second card for rendering.

Final Note, 3090s are not stupid if your workload can benefit from the extra Vram. I often go over the 12gb limit of a 3080Ti, which is what I had before.

Computers r fun

3 hours ago, Lesgoooo said:

Which motherboard? Are you sure the lower slot is PCIE 8x and not 4x?

Computers r fun

7 hours ago, Lesgoooo said:

witch mb?

First Question:

If you're running a pair of 3090's, are you upgrading past a consumer platform?  Going Ryzen / EPYC / XEON?

You'll need more PCI-E Lanes than 11th Gen, or Ryzen 5000 support for your two GPUs.

Second: 

Assuming you go alternate platform, your board does support a 4 slot configuration?  

You may not care about thermals, but if you don't, you will both hamper the performance of your card (And if you're dropping nearly 4K on video cards, you clearly care about getting results) as well as shorten the lifespan of the hardware.

Third:  

Hopefully you don't need anything else in your case, because 2x 3090's will....  basically fill the entire chassis,  (I'd actually consider looking at a chassis with at least 1 more rear slot than a Dynamic, so the bottom card has some more breathing space.

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

First Question:

If you're running a pair of 3090's, are you upgrading past a consumer platform?  Going Ryzen / EPYC / XEON?

You'll need more PCI-E Lanes than 11th Gen, or Ryzen 5000 support for your two GPUs.

Second: 

Assuming you go alternate platform, your board does support a 4 slot configuration?  

You may not care about thermals, but if you don't, you will both hamper the performance of your card (And if you're dropping nearly 4K on video cards, you clearly care about getting results) as well as shorten the lifespan of the hardware.

Third:  

Hopefully you don't need anything else in your case, because 2x 3090's will....  basically fill the entire chassis,  (I'd actually consider looking at a chassis with at least 1 more rear slot than a Dynamic, so the bottom card has some more breathing space.

1. I was thinking of pairing the GPUs with a Ryzen 5950X

2. I don't care about performance that much since I just play Minecraft with RTX on and I heard once that since Minecraft is Java based it will support SLI

3. This is mainly for flex but I do edit in Premiere so the extra VRAM might be a help but other than that the two 3090's are basically pure flex :)

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

First Question:

Second: 

Third:  

And what cases do you recommend for this setup? (Pls keep in mind I'm planning to put a 360mm AIO for my CPU)

20 hours ago, jaslion said:

They are to the card. 83c is their hard thermal limit and they WILL slow down to keep at that set in stone limit.

So if you are serious about doing this in a closed case even with good airflow and spacing and don't want to wreck the vram of the cards get watercooled ones and do that. Or since it's not the vram you want get a 3080ti for exact same performance but eliminating one of the hotter parts of the card.

Unless the water-cooling is already done for me (like in those Radeon cards that you get nowadays with predone softube water-cooling) I am not looking to water-cool the cards 

1 hour ago, Lesgoooo said:

Unless the water-cooling is already done for me (like in those Radeon cards that you get nowadays with predone softube water-cooling) I am not looking to water-cool the cards 

They exist but also you can just buy 3090's where the block is already on it and all you need to do is connect a pump, rad and fill it up. Your choice really.

1 hour ago, Lesgoooo said:

1. I was thinking of pairing the GPUs with a Ryzen 5950X

2. I don't care about performance that much since I just play Minecraft with RTX on and I heard once that since Minecraft is Java based it will support SLI

3. This is mainly for flex but I do edit in Premiere so the extra VRAM might be a help but other than that the two 3090's are basically pure flex 🙂

1. Sure works

2. Minecraft has never and will NEVER support sli as sli HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY DEAD FOR A WHILE. That and the 3090's don't do sli they nvlink. It just won't work and the second card will basically just waste power, create more heat and sit there doing nothing for the rest of time as there are never going to be more sli titles and the ones that do have sli are breaking because nobody is maintaining it.

3. You do you a 3080ti is basically just as fast as a 3090 that and premiere only uses 1 card.

So basically do yourself a favor and skip the second 3090 as well fun fact having nvlink on and launching a game that doesn't support multi gpu often leads to that game running worse, freaking out, crashing, behaving weirdly,... because it doesn't know what to do with 2 cards that are linked.

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

1. Sure works

2. Minecraft has never and will NEVER support sli as sli HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY DEAD FOR A WHILE. That and the 3090's don't do sli they nvlink. It just won't work and the second card will basically just waste power, create more heat and sit there doing nothing for the rest of time as there are never going to be more sli titles and the ones that do have sli are breaking because nobody is maintaining it.

3. You do you a 3080ti is basically just as fast as a 3090 that and premiere only uses 1 card.

So basically do yourself a favor and skip the second 3090 as well fun fact having nvlink on and launching a game that doesn't support multi gpu often leads to that game running worse, freaking out, crashing, behaving weirdly,... because it doesn't know what to do with 2 cards that are linked.

I have two 3090s. I do not recommend it if you're workload doesn't benefit from it. I havnt got any game to use both cards at all.

To flex, my advice is to spend the $1,500-$2,000 on a different kind of flex.

Ideas:

1. buy a fancier 3090 like the EVGA Kingpin which comes with a water cooling block

2. Buy one if InWins speciality cases, they have a done with really crazy designs

3. If you don't want to water cool yourself, consider buying a very high end prebuilt

4. I'm sure there are more ideas

Note, since you won't be using both cards, even a 5950x only has 20 PCIe lanes, meaning your primary 3090 WILL be bottlenecked by PCIe 8x instead of using the full 16. You would need to go threadripper or equivalent to get around this.

Keep in mind PCIe lanes when you think about using NVME m.2 drives.

Computers r fun

Ya know what, chuck it I'll just get a 3080ti or 3090 from eBay, that's a flex in it self these days considering the prices XD