Want to use an iPad Mini as a laptop

MoeDee

I want to buy an iPad Mini (https://www.machines.com.my/collections/ipad-family/products/ipad-mini?variant=20437517729903) and use it as an alternative for a laptop, is it possible for me to buy a cheap bluetooth keyboard and mouse and do that. It is possible to run all of the microsoft office applications, video editing and other smaller things i need for my university. I just wanna know if it is possible for me to use it as a laptop alternative and if i do so, what obstacles would i have to face.

What applications do you need?

You will NOT be running the full versions of office. I can tell you that much.

First get a list of REQUIRED software from your university and then give that to us. Or just look in the app store if all are available. The moment one isn't the ipad becomes a no go.

Basically whilst you CAN use it as a laptop replacement it simply still IS NOT a laptop replacement device if you need to use it for more productivity applications. This is also a pre m1 ipad so any further desktop applications on it are going to be a mystery as apple is fully moving forward with their m1 stuff.

It's still a tablet meant to do tablet things not a laptop. If your university recommends a laptop get one. Listen to them and get something that they recommend or is in line with their recommendations. Then you don't end up having a wasted device.

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What applications do you need?

You will NOT be running the full versions of office. I can tell you that much.

First get a list of REQUIRED software from your university and then give that to us. Or just look in the app store if all are available. The moment one isn't the ipad becomes a no go.

Basically whilst you CAN use it as a laptop replacement it simply still IS NOT a laptop replacement device if you need to use it for more productivity applications. This is also a pre m1 ipad so any further desktop applications on it are going to be a mystery as apple is fully moving forward with their m1 stuff.

It's still a tablet meant to do tablet things not a laptop. If your university recommends a laptop get one. Listen to them and get something that they recommend or is in line with their recommendations. Then you don't end up having a wasted device.

All i have to do is create reports on word documents, make presentations. do very light video editing which would be compiling video clips, adding background music, maybe a small transition here and there. other than that i dont really do anything else with it. Another reason why i want to get an ipad is to do graphic drawing on it with an apple pencil or stylus (I have a graphic tablet and have been using it for close to 2 years). My university doesnt really recommend any laptop for me to get since im doing graduation in international business which doesnt really need a laptop with a cpu that can render animations or what not. for the use case stated above would me buying an ipad be a good choice?

Just now, MoeDee said:

All i have to do is create reports on word documents, make presentations. do very light video editing which would be compiling video clips, adding background music, maybe a small transition here and there. other than that i dont really do anything else with it. Another reason why i want to get an ipad is to do graphic drawing on it with an apple pencil or stylus (I have a graphic tablet and have been using it for close to 2 years). My university doesnt really recommend any laptop for me to get since im doing graduation in international business which doesnt really need a laptop with a cpu that can render animations or what not. for the use case stated above would me buying an ipad be a good choice?

Ok but what software? I REALLY need to know EVERY SINGLE PIECE of software here. If anything off adobe is used it's an immediate big no go.

You cannot use different software than what is used in class during class because else that is pointless.

Do they have any recommendations? What do other students use?

Since video editing is a part here I am inclined to say no here to the ipad as most industry and college standard video editing software is NOT available on an ipad.

This is not about performance here this is about the ipad allowing you to follow your courses or not.