AMD fTPM causing random stuttering.

On 9/8/2021 at 8:35 PM, Zips said:

Has anyone here tried this option yet? It seems like this person fixed their issue by having fTPM enabled but then setting "PSU Idle Control" to "Typical Current" instead of Low or Auto.

I tried this as well but still having the issue.

Happens for me as well. Gigabyte B550 Aorus elite v2, 5600x, latest BIOS (F13). Here's hoping for Gigabyte to patch it.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

6 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

Happens for me as well. Gigabyte B550 Aorus elite v2, 5600x, latest BIOS (F13). Here's hoping for Gigabyte to patch it.

i think it's AMD fault

I've noticed that disabling Windows Defender has made stuttering a lot less, BUT it still occurs.

Hey all, I'm too having this issues. my board is MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX.

I've just updated my BIOS to the AGESA 1.2.0.4 Beta published by MSI that adds official support for Windows 11 and some other fixes, no stutters to report for now, I'll update if it comes back.

What's new:
1. Update to COMBOAM4v2PI 1.2.0.4
2. SMU firmware updated for Vermeer, Cezanne and Picasso
3. TPM enabled by default

Source: https://wccftech.com/msi-releases-amd-agesa-1-2-0-4-bios-firmware-b550-b450-motherboards-tpm-enabled-by-default-for-windows-11/

Source 2: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/some-agesa-1-2-0-4-beta-bios-for-am4-motherboards.366770/

Gdrive with all new beta bios: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JTPVFrSyV76d4Zxj2l9B1zIU88C5egxC

8 hours ago, Nyamp said:

I've just updated my BIOS to the AGESA 1.2.0.4 Beta published by MSI that adds official support for Windows 11 and some other fixes, no stutters to report for now, I'll update if it comes back.

What's new:

Source: https://wccftech.com/msi-releases-amd-agesa-1-2-0-4-bios-firmware-b550-b450-motherboards-tpm-enabled-by-default-for-windows-11/

Source 2: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/some-agesa-1-2-0-4-beta-bios-for-am4-motherboards.366770/

Gdrive with all new beta bios: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JTPVFrSyV76d4Zxj2l9B1zIU88C5egxC

Any update for the stutter? 😄

On 9/11/2021 at 5:29 AM, ANGGARAMDAN said:

Any update for the stutter? 😄

My system is more stable after this BIOS update. Didn't noticed any stutter, but that's just for 2 days. I'll keep this post updated if I get any stutter.

Edit: New Chipset drivers adds support for Windows 11!

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-ryzen-chipset-3-09-01-140

On 9/11/2021 at 7:44 PM, Nyamp said:

My system is more stable after this BIOS update. Didn't noticed any stutter, but that's just for 2 days. I'll keep this post updated if I get any stutter.

Edit: New Chipset drivers adds support for Windows 11!

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-ryzen-chipset-3-09-01-140

Seems like those new chipset drivers are the same as the previous release, just now they now "officially" support Windows 11. Every single driver version is the same as the ones from last month.

I'm not going to hold out much hope of these addressing the fTPM issue we have.

Edit: Forgot to mention that there is a new beta BIOS update for Gigabyte boards, at least the X570 Aorus Elite. Right now it's F36c.

However, the only thing mentioned in the changelog is "Improve memory compatibility." No mention of the updated AGESA for these. I haven't tried them myself because I'm more than a bit leery of beta BIOS updates.

I had no issues with turning on fTPM with my Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3.  I just installed my Ryzen 7 2700 and turn on fTPM in the bios.  Not sure why you're having issues.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

Building a ryzen system with a 5800x and asus tuf gaming x570 plus wifi motherboard, just waiting for my RAM to get here this weekend to complete the build.

Ive been seeing this pop up recently has the issue been fixed yet?

On 9/14/2021 at 7:20 AM, Zips said:

Seems like those new chipset drivers are the same as the previous release, just now they now "officially" support Windows 11. Every single driver version is the same as the ones from last month.

I'm not going to hold out much hope of these addressing the fTPM issue we have.

Edit: Forgot to mention that there is a new beta BIOS update for Gigabyte boards, at least the X570 Aorus Elite. Right now it's F36c.

However, the only thing mentioned in the changelog is "Improve memory compatibility." No mention of the updated AGESA for these. I haven't tried them myself because I'm more than a bit leery of beta BIOS updates.

I tried them "F36c" , no change stutter still happens once every couple of days , maybe we have to wait for the new AGESA build , since Gigabyte is still on 1.2.0.3 B

Still happens, even if I select discrete tpm instead of ftpm

x570 dark hero | 3950x | 6800xt rog hybrid | tridentz 3200 2x16 + 4000 2x16 | 1tb 980 pro, 512gb 970 evo, seagate 1tb wd 5tb | kraken x63 | dark base pro 900 r1 | corsair hx850i

4 hours ago, ShockSA said:

have you tried the ASUS beta bios for your MOBO , since it was updated to the latest 1.2.0.4

https://www.overclock.net/threads/asus-rog-x570-crosshair-viii-overclocking-discussion-thread.1728796/page-417#post-28865069

Nah I didn't even know there was a new beta, I'm still on 3801. Do you still need to reset bios settings for flashing or am I fine just upgrading? Thanks for the link

x570 dark hero | 3950x | 6800xt rog hybrid | tridentz 3200 2x16 + 4000 2x16 | 1tb 980 pro, 512gb 970 evo, seagate 1tb wd 5tb | kraken x63 | dark base pro 900 r1 | corsair hx850i

Is there any confirmation that the problem disappears on windows 11?

Completed my build on thursday with the latest BIOS and drivers for my hardware, installed windows 10 then upgraded to 11 without any issues. There are "bugs" with the OS but nothing major and havent noticed any stutters, everything has been good. Although i want to mention i had a few crashes but i think it has to do with certain software i installed thats not really compatible yet.  I have a older Xfi- titanium audio card and i thought for sure i would notice some problems but none whatsoever no audio glitches or skips

fTPM was enabled and so was secure boot BTW.

x64Ira0Km9.png

Same problem here, with gigabyte b450m-s2h and ryzen 7 3800x.

If you want to install w11 beta directly from w10 windows update settings avoiding the iso method, you can enable ftpm, install w11 from windows update beta channel, do the registry hack to disable TPM verification, and then disable ftpm again.

Im running w11 with tpm turned off with that method.

On 9/17/2021 at 7:37 PM, Illyaimi said:

Nah I didn't even know there was a new beta, I'm still on 3801. Do you still need to reset bios settings for flashing or am I fine just upgrading? Thanks for the link

it will reset the bios settings for you when you update.

I'm also having a stuttering issue-- running Ryzen 3900XT with ASUS ROG Strix B550-E Gaming. Increasing the base GHz of the 3900XT processor (the supported overclocking / power performance, etc.) seems to shorten the duration of the stutter (I can shorten it to about 1-2 seconds,) but it still occurs regardless of what power you throw at it unless you turn off fTPM. I recently updated my BIOS and wondered what happened and then thought it might have been the "Expand BAR memory" that was causing the issue, but that wasn't the case because I still had stutters with extra BAR memory off. Then I found this thread probably for the second time now and you guys saved my butt... again.

Thanks.

I know you guys have said it still occurs with "discrete" or what-have-you, but I'm going to try buying a separate TPM module to plug in (no idea if I actually have the header for that, but we'll find out) and see if that changes anything. EDIT: I don't have that header. Bummer. Guess I'll go with an MSI mobo next time or somethin'.

I've been meaning to try the Thunderbolt header but Amazon reviews of Thunderbolt PCI-E cards scare me off.

Edited by TomaThePolliwog
Clarity, checked board

18 hours ago, TomaThePolliwog said:

I'm also having a stuttering issue-- running Ryzen 3900XT with ASUS ROG Strix B550-E Gaming. Increasing the base GHz of the 3900XT processor (the supported overclocking / power performance, etc.) seems to shorten the duration of the stutter (I can shorten it to about 1-2 seconds,) but it still occurs regardless of what power you throw at it unless you turn off fTPM. I recently updated my BIOS and wondered what happened and then thought it might have been the "Expand BAR memory" that was causing the issue, but that wasn't the case because I still had stutters with extra BAR memory off. Then I found this thread probably for the second time now and you guys saved my butt... again.

Thanks.

I know you guys have said it still occurs with "discrete" or what-have-you, but I'm going to try buying a separate TPM module to plug in (no idea if I actually have the header for that, but we'll find out) and see if that changes anything. EDIT: I don't have that header. Bummer. Guess I'll go with an MSI mobo next time or somethin'.

I've been meaning to try the Thunderbolt header but Amazon reviews of Thunderbolt PCI-E cards scare me off.

try the beta bios for ASUS maybe it will fix it for you.

On 7/6/2021 at 3:23 AM, VioDuskar said:

which ASUS b550 wifi motherboard is this? TUF gaming or ROG Strix? 

the tuf gaming has a TPM header. you would do best with buying the TPM chip to go in the header instead of using the fTPM because the Firmware TMP probably steals clock cycles from the CPU if i had to guess. whereas dedicated TPM hardware does not.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Accessories/TPM-SPI

On 7/6/2021 at 3:23 AM, VioDuskar said:

which ASUS b550 wifi motherboard is this? TUF gaming or ROG Strix? 

the tuf gaming has a TPM header. you would do best with buying the TPM chip to go in the header instead of using the fTPM because the Firmware TMP probably steals clock cycles from the CPU if i had to guess. whereas dedicated TPM hardware does not.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Accessories/TPM-SPI/

Try clean fTPM rom in bios (in trusted computing menu, under "pending operation"), in my case that helped.

Changed mobos from ASUS to MSI B550 Tomahawk and this still happens. it's getting really annoying now

Intel Core i5-12600K            Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X            XPG Gammix  D10 (4x8GB) DDR4-3200Mhz

ADATA Falcon 512GB            Nvme  XPG Gammix S41 TUF 256GB Nvme            WD Green 480GB Nvme

Zotac Geforce RTX 2070 Super            XPG Core Reactor 850W            Seagate HD 1TB 7200rpm                       

Noctua NH-D15            AOC 24G2/BK           Corsair 4000D            Corsair K68            Logitech G502 Hero           

11 hours ago, dpeter said:

Changed mobos from ASUS to MSI B550 Tomahawk and this still happens. it's getting really annoying now

Happening to me as well, on X570 Tomahawk with the latest beta BIOS that was linked by another user earlier in the thread.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Memory: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO 3600MHz (18-22-22-42) | Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7C84) | Graphics: AMD Radeon VII 16GB

On 9/22/2021 at 8:29 PM, Wiloni said:

Try clean fTPM rom in bios (in trusted computing menu, under "pending operation"), in my case that helped.

It didn't work for me.

On 9/10/2021 at 9:25 PM, Nyamp said:

What's new:

Zero stutters after that BIOS update, I installed the latest chipset drivers, the new NVIDIA drivers with official Win11 support and the latest Win11 Cumulative Update (22000.194).

All stable!