AMD fTPM causing random stuttering.

On 9/7/2022 at 4:39 PM, Zips said:
  1. This "fix" from AMD, which has been out since mid-June, doesn't actually fix the issue for many (most) people.

Fixed for me too. "most" is actually not most, it's probably a small few. I had 2 motherboards and it fixed both of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Still not fixed on aorus elite x570 zzz

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed, still not fixed for Aorus Elite, one of the most popular X570 boards from Gigabyte. I switched to dedicated TPM long ago so I don't care that much, but the fact that it's still not officially fixed made me certain Gigabyte is incompetent. Their RGB software was also always total garbage and the entire BIOS is stuttery when CSM Support is disabled. To this day.

• 3 weeks later...

Still not fixed on aorus elite x570 after another month, kinda sad ngl.

• 1 month later...

still nothing with aorus elite x570 pogggg

ASUS still hasn't issued a fix for some laptops either, contacting support only for them to point me to BIOS updates from last year, despite me throwing the AMD statement and issue at their face, we can't even disable the fTPM in the ASUS BIOS, super sad.

• 3 weeks later...

There is new F37 BIOS for Aorus Elite. Anyone eager to test it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2022 at 5:18 PM, DRenars said:

Curious to hear if this resolves the issue, since it does include the AGESA version that is meant to do so.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Memory: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO 3600MHz (18-22-22-42) | Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7C84) | Graphics: AMD Radeon VII 16GB

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see it mentioned on this thread, but this issue is still on going with Alienware Baseboard Product 0K9TKY-A00 and Ryzen 9 5950X. I have spent hundreds of hours diagnosing this issue, 2 separate computers through Alienware both with a hard stutter, exactly as shown on page 1 of this thread. For a while I was able to replicate what I thought was this stutter, but that has been fixed with Bios Update 2.8.0 however the complete drop of performance of all components for 1-2 seconds happens every 118 minutes (take or give 5 minutes). It absolutely infuriating to have spent so much time and money on this problem. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2022 at 5:18 PM, DRenars said:

I bit the bullet last night and updated. So far, so good (knock on wood).

I only went ahead with this after talking with some people on the Overclock.net forums. Specifically, it was this post by rob-tech that really sold me on the idea that fTPM on Gigabyte was finally fixed: https://www.overclock.net/threads/gigabyte-x570-aorus-owners-thread.1728360/page-967#post-29129043

Apparently, Gigabyte may have been using an earlier release of AGESA 1.2.0.7 in their beta BIOS releases. That version was apparently using an older version of the fTPM firmware (3.84.0). The non-beta BIOS release is using a newer version of the fTPM firmware (3.84.0.5).

If this is true, this could explain why none of the beta bios releases from Gigabyte seemed to fix the fTPM stutter despite them including AGESA 1.2.0.7.

On 2/1/2023 at 11:50 PM, Zips said:

I bit the bullet last night and updated. So far, so good (knock on wood).

I only went ahead with this after talking with some people on the Overclock.net forums. Specifically, it was this post by rob-tech that really sold me on the idea that fTPM on Gigabyte was finally fixed: https://www.overclock.net/threads/gigabyte-x570-aorus-owners-thread.1728360/page-967#post-29129043

Apparently, Gigabyte may have been using an earlier release of AGESA 1.2.0.7 in their beta BIOS releases. That version was apparently using an older version of the fTPM firmware (3.84.0). The non-beta BIOS release is using a newer version of the fTPM firmware (3.84.0.5).

If this is true, this could explain why none of the beta bios releases from Gigabyte seemed to fix the fTPM stutter despite them including AGESA 1.2.0.7.

This is what i was waiting for, thanks for trying it out.

I was alredy tired of trying it myself and then having to downgrade again.

15 hours ago, FFY said:

This is what i was waiting for, thanks for trying it out.

I was alredy tired of trying it myself and then having to downgrade again.

No problem.

I've been using F37 on my Aorus Elite now since Jan 31st and it's been great. Haven't seen a single fTPM issue with this whereas I'd used to see it at a minimum of once per day prior to the fix. Hope the update goes just as well for you!

I've also jumped on to Windows 11 since I've felt rather confident in this being a solid bios release

https://imgur.com/6mromKu strix scar 15 (2021)  latest bios version 330

https://imgur.com/oFjm7w7 with a tool i got to know the AGESA version, it is... 1.0.0.2b  when i have latest bios.
https://imgur.com/FyBQThO fTPM version is bugged. Sometimes there numbers, sometimes yellow error. And today it is all 0.0.0.0
https://streamable.com/p7gdw0 - here is an example of my stutter.
Right now, UEFI bios is broken. My laptop is working, i can use it. But in BIOS i can not choose BOOT ORDER, i can not FLASH it with my usb FAT32 stick, because EZ FLASH 3 does not recognize any disk.

I have nothing except this laptop, and constantly working on it. So i need to take vacation and give away for repair service.

• 5 months later...

Still not fixed by Lenovo for Legion laptops...

• 1 month later...

I only just learned about this. I have been battling this for ages but I had no idea it was linked to ftpm. This explains why it only started randomly as I only turned ftpm on when I went to windows 11. 

I just did a bios update which was stupid new (end of august new) so will see how that goes. 

• 1 month later...

I have Omen 2020 with Ryzen 4800H, I have updated BIOS was in September and the stutter still happening, I can say I have had bios updates whenever it gets released, stuttering is remained until I disable fTPM. Just downgrade to Windows 10 LTSC 21H2 until the problem is fixed or at least have a new device probably Intel.
I will never come back to AMD again as I am very regret.

• 3 months later...